The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 2, 2018, 11:53 PM   #26
O4L

I always shot a handgun one handed and never had any trouble hitting what I aim at.

I listened to some tactical operators that say you're supposed to use a two handed super squeeze grip and all that. Tried it at the range and couldn't hardly hit a darn thing.
Old October 6, 2018, 05:44 PM   #27
ManyMag

Joking?
Old October 6, 2018, 10:08 PM   #28
Andy Blozinski

Along with my regular two handed shooting, I always make it a point to shoot one handed and one handed off hand when I go to the range. You never know if you might get suddenly limited in a self defense situation.
The Chiappa Rhino works pretty darned well one handed. Although it strangely pulls to the side when I shoot it one handed left hand. That's probably me and bad trigger discipline. One handed and Right handed it does it's normal straight back with minimal muzzle flip for me.
Old October 7, 2018, 08:53 AM   #29
ManyMag

Making them go BANG with one hand is really pretty easy. Putting 19 rounds of 9mm duty ammo in an XDM or Sig magazine seperates the the men from the boys when you only have one hand to work with.

And the barrel twist combined with ammo speed and weight definately impact the effects of recoil.
Old October 7, 2018, 03:15 PM   #30
Nathan

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-pistol-loader

Works very well for me.
Old October 7, 2018, 03:52 PM   #31
shurshot

I saw a kid on the news recently, a HS football player... with one arm, missing at the elbow. Superb athlete!!! All star football player. Used a strap to hook on a barbell with his stump and was deadlifting 500 pounds!!! Heading for college football! 100% heart! No one told him he couldn't, and if they did, he ignored them! My guess is if he was with armed with a handgun, the kid would quickly be winning target shooting competitions. His mind is his strongest asset.
Old October 7, 2018, 07:08 PM   #32
SBH

The biggest handicap that a physically impaired person has is what is between the ears of someone else. I was told way too many times , you can't do that.
Old October 8, 2018, 12:21 AM   #33
ManyMag

That one's pretty cool, Nathan.
Still looks unhandy though. I'd be squeezing it with my knees.
I'll stick with mine.
Old October 9, 2018, 09:03 AM   #34
COSteve

While I shoot 2 handed, Weaver stance with my semi-autos usually, I find that I tend to shoot my SA Colt clones single handed. Not sure why except that they are harder for me to get a decent 2 handed grip and with the grove in the topstrap for a rear sight, 'precision' aiming is almost a misnomer.
Old October 9, 2018, 11:16 AM   #35
tangolima

Pistol is firearm supposed to be fired with one hand. Shooting pistol with both hands is relatively recent trend. The only modern pistol I own is a Glock 23. I shoot it with two hands. All the other, including a broomhandle, I shoot them with one hand, the way it was supposed to be.

Do I shoot better with two hands? Probably. But I don't care. I don't collect those c&r old guns to go to combat or to defense my family. The Glock does that.

One hand shooting is not that hard. People has been doing that since dogs roamed the earth. With enough practice you can out shoot two handers who don't practice as much.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old October 9, 2018, 06:51 PM   #36
JN01

This guy shoots pretty well with no hands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlMz2sCDCA4
Old October 10, 2018, 09:43 AM   #37
Lavan

I always use two hands.

On my rifles.

I actually shoot better one handed. It's how I learned many decades ago.
I know I concentrate on handgun basics better with one hand than two. Sight picture, trigger pull, hold..... all the stuff needed for bullseye shooting.

I think the only time I use two hands is if I'm ....sighting in.... a handgun and then it's on a sandbag too.

Here's a one handed shot at a charging cattail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMfM...ature=youtu.be
Old October 10, 2018, 10:36 AM   #38
FAS1

Because of the way my dad was trained to shoot in the Army, when I took him and his 1911 to the range this is how he would shoot. He was pretty damn good too.

Old October 10, 2018, 12:08 PM   #39
ManyMag

Michael, from the video is awesome. Handgun loading and handling with one hand is tough enough but this guy rocks.

Last edited by ManyMag; October 10, 2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Left part out. Hit send prematurely
Old October 14, 2018, 08:31 PM   #40
OneFreeTexan

Clint always shot one handed......and so did Matt, And,, and,,, all the others.
Old October 14, 2018, 10:02 PM   #41
Lavan

May be why they aren't called "handsguns."
Old October 14, 2018, 11:31 PM   #42
Cirdan

I shoot two handed because I'm more accurate that way.

Having said that, from time to time I practice one-handed, lefty (I'm right handed). Figure that's because the only time I'd shoot with my left hand would be if the right was injured/unusable.
Old October 17, 2018, 11:34 AM   #43
ManyMag

Not many of us can make the claim but I never miss with my right hand.
Old October 17, 2018, 06:43 PM   #44
glockman55

I try and shoot one handed, left then right in my practice routine..
Old October 24, 2018, 10:28 AM   #45
ARgon

Ditto with the Bullseye shooting. I shoot the three guns all one handed, I am 70, and have been doing it for years. I now shoot other firearms with a Weaver stance and two hands. Used that stance for years now in IDPA and IPSC.
Old October 24, 2018, 07:03 PM   #46
Leaf

I shoot one handed and shake the pistol like in the movies!
Old October 25, 2018, 06:16 PM   #47
RETG

I was taught to shoot one handed with both hands for that just in case scenario that can happen in real life. And still practice even though I am no longer carry a weapon for my job. But my left should sure hurts when I shoot due to an injury from five years ago. So limited number of shots.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old October 26, 2018, 09:57 AM   #48
Crunchy Frog

In cowboy action shooting there are categories that require that the revolvers be shot without a supporting hand. We call that shooting style “Duelist” and a skilled shooter can shoot pretty fast.
Old October 26, 2018, 10:26 PM   #49
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
In cowboy action shooting there are categories that require that the revolvers be shot without a supporting hand. We call that shooting style “Duelist” and a skilled shooter can shoot pretty fast.
A cowboy fires his six shooter with two hands? That's a scene to behold. What's the point of the period costume and firearms, while shooting like a modern inner city cop?

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old October 27, 2018, 07:10 PM   #50
FireForged

I am not a stranger to shooting one handed and I do purposefully shoot a couple of mags each session ( one handed). That said, I do not and wound not elect to shoot one handed if I could reasonably use 2, that's just me. I accept that circumstances may demand that I do and to that end, I practice ( a little) one handed during each range session.