The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 28, 2018, 02:46 AM   #101
Carl the Floor Walker

I love pocket guns. Love shooting them. You want style, here it is.

It is a gun that I love to just pick up and admire at the build quality. Just a beautiful, mild mannered, reliable, Pocket gun that just runs and runs with all kinds of ammo. Looks like it was designed in a wind tunnel.

https://imgur.com/gallery/cbuqy5C
Old October 28, 2018, 01:09 PM   #102
Bill DeShivs

Darkgael-
Semantics and physics aside, I have shot the P32 next to the heavy NAA Guardian .32, and next to the Beretta Tomcat .32.

Though the P32 is much thinner and lighter, It's much more pleasant to shoot. Others say the same thing.
Old October 28, 2018, 01:20 PM   #103
Bill DeShivs

Here's a few more stylish pocket guns:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4291.JPG (69.2 KB, 139 views)
Old October 31, 2018, 07:26 AM   #104
darkgael

Bill: Understood.
P
Old November 2, 2018, 03:46 PM   #105
ifithitu

G42 380 & s&w m&p 380.
Old November 2, 2018, 04:11 PM   #106
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Lots of style???

Walther Pre-WW2 PPK!
Any Walther PPK.... they are sweet !

I bought a Beretta Tomcat to replace a stolen PPK , The PPK was a dream, the Tomcat a nightmare and a brick . It's the only gun I ever sold ...
Compared to a PPK the Tomcat is a Dog .

Last edited by gwpercle; November 2, 2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old November 3, 2018, 09:52 PM   #107
JMag1

My Kimber Micro CDP .380 is pretty slick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old November 4, 2018, 08:57 AM   #108
TxFlyFish

Llama especial XVII
Old November 4, 2018, 11:56 PM   #109
Kemikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans View Post
Boberg (Bond Arms) XR9-S.
Just for clarification, "XR9-S" refers to the Boberg version; when Bond bought the design, corrected the flaws, and re-released it, they renamed it the "Bullpup 9".

I can verify that the Bond Arms version is a very reliable shooter. It's way more comfortable to shoot than such a tiny 9mm has any right to be. Build quality, fit, and finish are obviously very high, the factory rosewood grips are gorgeous, and even if you're not a fan of the "snubby auto" look (I am, but YMMV), it's undeniably interesting. Someone's always wanting to check it out at the range.

Oh, and the point of putting all that in this particular thread? It's a great pocket carry. Mine rides in a Bear Creek Back Pocket Holster, since I pocket carry almost exclusively in jeans, but a more tapered style would probably be better for front-pocket carry in slacks.

Old November 18, 2018, 12:59 PM   #110
MagnumWill

I understand the position that CCW must be reliable above all else, but there seems to be a rash assumption that all "stylish" guns are unreliable.

...as if a Kel Tec has never jammed... I'll personally never own a Kel-Tec. So many people denouncing small caliber, older (and gorgeous) pistols and then recommend a cheaply made (and IMO hideous) .32 pistol that's just as likely to have issues.

My vote? A Colt Agent in .38 for pocket carry (reliable), and definitely a fan of a Colt 1908 (can easily be reliable) as a sort of vest-carry. Those little Brownings are way cool, and I'm sure you can make them reliable- but I would start to be concerned about the effectiveness of .25 ACP and such. .380 is the smallest I would carry. I wouldn't mind it at all as a backup gun, or perhaps a jogging pistol, where concealable space is at an absolute premium.

Again - GO TO THE RANGE and make sure ALL of your guns work! Just because it's polymer doesn't mean you can depend on it.

Also, asking public style opinion, you'll get the guys that tell you jean shorts are perfectly fine

Last edited by MagnumWill; November 18, 2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old November 18, 2018, 09:38 PM   #111
1MoreFord

Several folks have beat me to this but I'll second the choice of a Seecamp or a Walther PPK(if your pocket is big enough for the PPK). Nice pistols.
Old November 18, 2018, 10:59 PM   #112
Bill DeShivs

Direwolf1911-
You certainly are opinionated, and obviously think you are an expert.
Tell us about your qualifications to make these statements.
Old November 19, 2018, 06:09 AM   #113
tallball

I agree with Bill. I bought my P32 used and cheap, just for a fun plinker, but it has never malfunctioned. I also owned a P3AT that I shot many hundreds of rounds through without any problems (gave it to my FiL), and a P11 that was also reliable but I traded it away due to its horrid trigger. Kel-Tecs aren't fancy, but all of the ones I have owned went bang every time.

Another thought for a stylish pocket barbecue gun would be any nice snub revolver with cool-looking grips and engraving.
Old November 19, 2018, 10:41 AM   #114
JMag1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -direwolf1911- View Post
Bond wouldn’t be caught dead with the P32 junk gun.

Get a Walter PPK.

He wouldn’t, but the P32 is far from a “junk gun.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2018, 02:31 PM   #115
CDW4ME

9mm minimum

Glock 43 and Kahr PM9

Snub on top of better in nearly every way Glock 43
Old November 19, 2018, 02:56 PM   #116
Ingramite

Front Pocket Rocket

Kimber RCP in .45acp
8 rounds of .45 in a pocket carry 1911.
Cerakote in Blue Titanium with AlumaGrips

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Ingramite; November 19, 2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: trying different photo posting address
Old November 19, 2018, 03:39 PM   #117
bbbbryan

I realize the Kimber Solo is widely perceived as persnickety among gun snobs, but I bought one anyway fully aware of its reputation. I’ve put about 500 rounds through mine without a failure using 124 grain Federal HST. It’s reliable, beautiful, and disappears inside the waistband. See Hickcock45 and Sootch on YouTube to see the results of their testing. Once I hit the 1000 round mark without any issues, I’ll trust mine completely. So far, I’m very pleased with this investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 20, 2018, 02:21 PM   #118
CDW4ME

Glock 43 and Kahr PM9 in post #116 are plain, embellished only with night sights.
However all thats needed is WiteOut or paint and write "STYLE" or "SWAG" on the slide to make an impression on others.
Old November 20, 2018, 02:46 PM   #119
Ricklin

Kel Tec is great IF

The if of course is.the need for a fluff and buff to finish what the factory did not do.

That is 100% ok given the price and quality of materials. I bought a P 11 as the size is like a 2/3rds scale G19, my regular carry.
I learned that my biggest issue was not resolved, the width is about the same and that was the primary issue with the G19. The P11 was not a significant improvement.

The P11 was a jam o matic out of the box. A fluff and buff resolved the failures a few hundred rounds down the pipe may have done the same. I did both, had at least one jam per mag that first range trip of an hour or so, maybe 50 rounds.

The P11 never jammed again after the fluff and buff. The width did have an advantage tho, felt recoil was quite soft for a small 9mm.

I've since switched to an LCP, would have gone p3at with no reservations at all. Could not beat 220 bucks for a new lcp with laser.
Very comfy with a pocket holster and my low risk lifestyle. The LCP in my pocket beats a G19 left at home 100% of the time.
Old November 20, 2018, 03:17 PM   #120
2wheelwander

I stand by NAA gold plated .22 Mag.

they see me rolln', they be hatn'
Old November 21, 2018, 03:13 PM   #121
Leaf

LCP custom with laser and 7 round extended magazine. I consider a very small, dirt cheap, reliable, eight round capacity pistol rather "stylish."
Old November 22, 2018, 01:47 PM   #122
dannyb

I'll second the LCP Custom. Reliable, easily pocketable, decent sights, and the red skeletonized trigger adds style (although I won't be showing it off except when I get questions at the range). A clear improvement over the original LCP in terms of sights and also, for me, the trigger. Good luck trying to find one. I still prefer hammer fired over striker fired, so I have no interest in the LCP II.

The Pico is also good and stylish; I have carried that as well, mostly as a coat pocket gun.

I do have a Keltec P32, and for me that's best for summer pants pocket carry. Have been carrying one for a few years. I practice frequently with it (and the others above) and have not had any misfire issues with it.
Old November 24, 2018, 06:03 PM   #123
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I still prefer hammer fired over striker fired, so I have no interest in the LCP II
The II IS hammer fired. Just like the original and Custom. But the hammer is fully cocked, and the trigger single action only.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Tags
pocket carry , pocket gun