The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 12, 2018, 07:16 PM   #1
Longshot4

practical purpose for a 6CR muzzle brake

I can understand that some people like to use all the bells and whistles when dressing up... I know there are all kinds of flash arresters or muzzle breaks... But what is the practicality of one using one with a 6mm Creedmoor? I am not being sarcastic but I am curious. I have a Savage 10T with a cap on the end of the barrel.
Old December 12, 2018, 07:19 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Lots of guys run muzzle breaks on 556 rifles, even less recoil then a 6mm CM.

The reason i would run one on a Creedmore has more to do with spotting my own shot, then taming the recoil
Old December 13, 2018, 10:30 PM   #3
Chainsaw.

Exactly as Sharkbite said, spotting your own shot is great. And from my point of view less recoil is a big positive.
Old December 14, 2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Longshot4

Thanks
Old December 15, 2018, 10:40 AM   #5
BeeShooter

I don't use a break on my 6cm. The recoil is so light that I think that the return isn't worth it.
Old December 15, 2018, 01:27 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...flash arresters or muzzle breaks(SIC)..." Different things. A brake will reduce muzzle jump as well as recoil. The former only matters with some kinds of target shooting. Won't matter at all with a 10T.
A flash hider just breaks up the muzzle flash. Really isn't necessary for targets.
Lotta threading on hunting rifles is in response to the fad of putting on a suppressor. Lotta that is done because it's legal more than necessity.
Old December 16, 2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Rimfire5

The cap on your 10T makes it suppressor ready.
Your rifle is probably designated as a 10T-SR.
I have a 10T-SR in 6.5mm Creedmoor.

I tested it with a 30mm suppressor and it doesn't change accuracy but is does make it quieter for the shooter, but not necessarily down range.
According to my chronograph, the added length (even with the leakage of gas) increases the muzzle velocity by about 16 fps.
Old December 17, 2018, 06:21 PM   #8
kraigwy

I dont have a 6 mm CM but I have two 204 Rugers. The 204 kicks a lot less then the 6 mms.

I put a Muzzle Brake on one of the 204s, you cannot believe the difference. You have to shoot them side by side. The 204 w/the brake is like a laser. It doesnt move. You can see the impact.

I have brakes on a lot of different rifles, and I'll add more as the time goes on.

Try two of the same rifles, one with a brake, one without. You'll want brakes also.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 17, 2018, 08:54 PM   #9
Longshot4

Kraigwy

Tell me more about the brake. What direction are the gasses blown? Are they stock Ruger brake's? Are they the ones that will blow your ears out without protection?
Old December 18, 2018, 03:39 PM   #10
kraigwy

Longshot, nothing fancy, on both my RAP 204 & 223 RAP (Ruger American Predator) I used the DPMS brake for an AR

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/94...15-steel-matte

I use the same Brake only for an AR10 on my RAP 6.5 CM and my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM.

I dont shoot without ear protection while shooting targets, gongs or prairie dogs. But, though I should, I dont use them hunting Deer, Antelope, ETC. I normally have ear flaps and or a hood on cause its nippy when I hunt. I havent had any ill effects that I noticed.

Now the Brake on my 375 H&H would be noticeable without hearing protecting, I have protection on while hunting with that rifle.

Only shot my braked 300 WM at targets and gongs, I dont hunt with it.

Oh, and I also put one of those DPMS on my 16 in. AR. Havent hunted with it but I'm gonna assume it wouldnt be different then my 223 RAP.

I just got back from shooting my RAP 6.5 at steel from 100 to 1100 yards. At distance its hard to tell if that little 6.5 bullet hits steel without a brake, but I was able to see the gong swinging after hit at 1100.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071