The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 28, 2018, 11:55 AM   #26
rickyrick

Yeah, in this market I’d be looking at the best barrel that I could afford. It’s not like we don’t have choices now. We don’t have to accept whatever we can struggle to get our hands on.
Then yet again, three of us went to dinner and it was $55.
$50 won’t even fill up my gas tank.
AR barrels for $48 isn’t much at all. I’ve seen charging handles go for more than that.

All in all, getting back to the question, I recommend the Anderson barrel over the other.
Old December 1, 2018, 07:53 PM   #27
300 wsm hunter

have you looked at ar performance barrels
Old December 16, 2018, 11:36 AM   #28
kymasabe

UPDATE:

Well, I thought I'd update everyone on the barrel selection.
The Ballistic Advantage barrel that I scored for $69 never showed up. Primary Arms shipped it, but the entire order was lost somewhere. Post office says was delivered, but I'm not sure if it went to wrong house, or if someone stole it off my front porch. Either way, it's gone forever. P.A. isn't stocking that barrel anymore.

In the mean time, I managed to build a rifle with both the Anderson barrel and (sort of) the Bear Creek barrel I listed.
The Anderson barrel was very nice, really clean finish, no tool marks, excellent rifling, fit in an Anderson slick side upper receiver perfectly. I wrapped an Odin Works Ragna 12.5 inch handguard around it and..turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles I own(ed). It now resides with a friend, a retired Marine, who takes it to the range regularly and is ringing steel with it at 500+ yards with open sights. He LOVES that gun and that barrel.

Next, I built a cheap blaster, a truck gun basically, with the parkerized version of the Bear Creek barrel. Barrel was $42, A2 flash hider was another $10. My expectations were low. But, I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. Finish was decent, better than some parkerized PSA barrels I've had, no tool marks, M4 cuts were clean, rifling was good, crown looked good, barrel was dimpled. I tried three gas blocks: a cheap $20 steel gas block fit fine, a $28 Strike Industries gas block fit perfectly,and my nitrided Ballistic Advantage gas block was slightly looser than the others, so I saved that one for another day. Accuracy was good, I'm getting 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards with my Magpul MBUS sights. Keep in mind, my old eyes aren't what they used to be, and I'm certain I could tighten those groups up significantly if I dropped a scope on it.