The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 14, 2018, 09:06 AM   #1
USNRet93

How to sell a handgun?

I was sorta 'gifted' a nice condition Glock 17..it's kinda 'extra' in my 'gun mix' so I'll probably sell it. Gunbroker? Any others, better? There's a local shop that'll sell it on consignment but pretty hefty charge.

Thanks

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 14, 2018, 09:14 AM   #2
FITASC

FTF gets you the most cash with the least hassle. Place ads on gun club bulletin boards, local ad sites that allow guns to be advertised, places like here.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 14, 2018, 09:19 AM   #3
USNRet93

Sorry, "FTF"?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 14, 2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Face To Face
Old November 14, 2018, 09:52 AM   #5
TXAZ

+1 on FTF.
Ask for an ID and snap a pic.
In the event the gun is involved in a bad situation, that pic is your “get out of jail free” card.
Also, you don’t have to sell it to anyone if you don’t feel right about it.

Good luck

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 14, 2018, 10:28 AM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
In the event the gun is involved in a bad situation, that pic is your “get out of jail free” card.
I'll let you look at my ID, but I'm not letting you snap a pic of something with my DL number and address on it; too easy for ID theft.

If the gun is ever used in a crime AND by some slim chance they trace it back to you; all you need to do is state how you followed the rules and sold it to some guy....(states with stricter laws notwithstanding)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 14, 2018, 11:00 AM   #7
HighValleyRanch

You might be able to find an internet gun forum that is specific to Colorodo.
Here in CA there is a forum and we can post firearms for sale on the internet and then meet up in person to do the sale and transfer.<<<<(through a legal dealer DROS transfer of course!)

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; November 14, 2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old November 14, 2018, 11:01 AM   #8
sigarms228

Be SURE to know your law for the state of Colorado before doing anything. I found this via a quick search about private sale within the state of Colorado. If the consignment fee is not that bad that may be something to consider. Around here consignment fees are 15-20 percent but that includes doing the transfer and then you don't have to spend time trying to find a legitimate buyer, meeting up with the buyer, doing the proper check, and the time involved with that.

Of course if you sell on Gunbroker the sale will need to be via FFL to FFL.

https://consumer.findlaw.com/consume...-by-state.html

Quote:
Colorado
C.R.S. § 18-12-112: Seller is required to arrange for a licensed gun dealer to obtain a background check on the prospective buyer through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

C.R.S. § 18-12-112: Anyone who transfers a firearm in violation of the law may be held strictly liable for any civil damages caused by the buyer's use of the weapon. These rules do not apply to transfers that are gifts or loans between immediate family members, among other exemptions.

Last edited by sigarms228; November 14, 2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old November 14, 2018, 11:05 AM   #9
JDBerg

OP, I was offered $200.00 for my own Gen3 17 in a deal for a Gen5 17, by an LGS / LGR in Aurora, CO. That to me means we don’t want your gun anyway, and consignments sit on their shelf forever.

The release of the Glock Gen5’s have resulted in used Gen3 & 4 17’s showing up on the used gun shelves. IMHO, it’s better to be a buyer on a private deal than a seller or consignor to an LGS. I was never serious about selling my Gen3 17 anyway so I kept it!

OBTW, that indoor range in Broomfield has a bulletin board where you can post your 17 for sale at a fair price for you & the buyer. A lot of people that go there to rent guns will check the BB when they are ready to buy something. At least one of the guys on staff is an FFL (I’ve used him) so you can complete your transaction. You can PM me with any questions.

Last edited by JDBerg; November 14, 2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old November 14, 2018, 11:57 AM   #10
MagnumWill

Damn, if I didn't just buy 2 Glock 22's I would have happily PM'ed you.
Old November 14, 2018, 12:07 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...consignment but pretty hefty charge..." Just the one local shop? The one have anything you want that you might be able to trade for? That's not the best option though. Dealers base what they give on their wholesale price and how fast they think they can sell the thing. The guy might have a glut of Glocks already too.
You belong to a shooting club? Like JDBerg says, that range in Broomfield might be your best bet.
Old November 14, 2018, 04:26 PM   #12
walnut1704

If you're in Colorado, state law requires an FFL transfer for a private sale. Also known as "Universal Background Checks". I can tell you it is widely ignored on the Western Slope but the Front Range is a different story.

Be careful advertising a private sale.
Old November 15, 2018, 04:15 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Forum rules, Gentlemen:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/faq...aq_forum_rules

Quote:
5. Topics and conduct that will not be tolerated:

a. Multiple registrations
b. Drive-by cut and paste posting
c. Cross posting (Posting the same, or substantially the same, thread/topic in multiple forums)
d. Political Advocacy posts, or any purely political topic. However, some very few exceptions may be made.
e. Conspiracy threads or posts
f. Posts or threads on Race, Religion, and Sexuality
g. The End Of The World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI), AKA: SHTF or Doomsday threads and Zombie threads
h. Knowingly and willfully advocating violation of a standing federal or state law (any state)
i. Violating our Copyrighted Material Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
Quote:
I'll let you look at my ID, but I'm not letting you snap a pic of something with my DL number and address on it; too easy for ID theft.
I agree. I'm legal and I don't mind showing you my permit to prove it, but if you want to photograph it or copy down my information, the deal's off.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; November 17, 2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old November 15, 2018, 07:17 AM   #14
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
OP, I was offered $200.00 for my own Gen3 17 in a deal for a Gen5 17, by an LGS / LGR in Aurora, CO. That to me means we don’t want your gun anyway, and consignments sit on their shelf forever.

The release of the Glock Gen5’s have resulted in used Gen3 & 4 17’s showing up on the used gun shelves. IMHO, it’s better to be a buyer on a private deal than a seller or consignor to an LGS. I was never serious about selling my Gen3 17 anyway so I kept it!

OBTW, that indoor range in Broomfield has a bulletin board where you can post your 17 for sale at a fair price for you & the buyer. A lot of people that go there to rent guns will check the BB when they are ready to buy something. At least one of the guys on staff is an FFL (I’ve used him) so you can complete your transaction. You can PM me with any questions.
Thanks for the info..but I'll try here first..also found
coloradoguntrader.com

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 16, 2018, 07:33 PM   #15
laytonj1

Armslist.
http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/colorado

Jim
Old November 17, 2018, 08:13 AM   #16
USNRet93

Thanks for another link..I get the G-17 tomorrow..need to clean it and shoot it..probably won't move it(If I sell it, may keep it and sell the -19..or keep both(?)) until after Xmas.

Opinions..if both are similar condition, Glock 17 and Glock 19, both gen 4, which would you keep and why?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 17, 2018, 11:54 AM   #17
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93:
Opinions..if both are similar condition, Glock 17 and Glock 19, both gen 4, which would you keep and why?
I have a Gen3 17 & 19, and if I HAD to keep only one it would be the 19, it shoots just about as well as the 17, but it’s more carryable than the 17, although I can certainly carry the 17. But I can and will keep both and the 19x, which is the best shooting Glock that I own.
Old November 17, 2018, 04:06 PM   #18
AK103K

Ive always had the best results, with the least amount of effort, with consignment.

Shop around with your local dealers. Some are greedier than others. The boy I usually sell through only charges me 10-15%. Ive seen some guys as high as 25-30%.

The biggest advantage here is, you dont have to do anything, and really risk nothing. The dealer does all the work, and has the incentive to get as much as he can for the gun, as the more he gets, the more he makes.

They also have a real good idea as to the true worth of things and you wont waste time or money, being to high or low.

Best part is, the hardest thing you have to do is cash the check or take the cash. They have all the traffic coming to them, and they do all the work.

The average price of a used Gen 3 17 in "good" shape around here, is around $400-450. Cheapest, is about $375.
Old November 17, 2018, 07:59 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
There's a local shop that'll sell it on consignment but pretty hefty charge.
What's a "hefty charge"?

Around here, three FFLs I have dealt with all get 15 percent for consignments. That's a bargain to me. I don't have to advertise, I don't have to worry about shipping, and I don't have to deal with meeting possibly sketchy people who may or may not be someone I'd feel happy about selling a firearm to. And nobody sees my name or telephone number to associate with "Guns!"
Old November 18, 2018, 07:53 AM   #20
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
What's a "hefty charge"?

Around here, three FFLs I have dealt with all get 15 percent for consignments. That's a bargain to me. I don't have to advertise, I don't have to worry about shipping, and I don't have to deal with meeting possibly sketchy people who may or may not be someone I'd feel happy about selling a firearm to. And nobody sees my name or telephone number to associate with "Guns!"
20%..plus just saw this interesting tidbit..makes sense...I guess. The store is a great little store..owner and son really good people.
Quote:
GunSport offers this service for just 20% of the selling price, with a 90 day stay minimum.

Please be aware – if you no longer wish to consign your firearm and you would like to pick up the firearm(s), we are required to perform a background check before the item can be removed from the store.
Thanks for the info..I'll shoot it, get thru Xmas and then decide..Tanner Gun Show..always interesting stuff there..maybe trade it.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 18, 2018, 10:33 AM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
Please be aware – if you no longer wish to consign your firearm and you would like to pick up the firearm(s), we are required to perform a background check before the item can be removed from the store.
Yes, this is correct. When you turn a firearm over to an FFL for consignment sale, it is a transfer from you to the FFL. If, for any reason, the sale doesn't happen and you want to take back the firearm, it's a second transfer, this time from the FFL to you, no different from buying some other used firearm from that FFL. I think I have been through that twice when hoped-for consignments didn't generate any offers that I considered reasonable.
Old November 18, 2018, 10:46 AM   #22
MarkCO

You do realize that receiving the gun in Colorado, if not from an immediate family member, is illegal unless you go through an FFL. Same for selling it. LE might be ignoring the magazine capacity limits, but they are not ignoring the background check law.

Used gun prices in CO have taken a huge nosedive since, in most cases, the required FFL transfers are adding $30 or so, and hassle to the transfers. Shipping out of state, by selling on Gunbroker and such is worse since the shipping and transfer fees are usually in the $70 range.
Old November 19, 2018, 06:20 AM   #23
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
You do realize that receiving the gun in Colorado, if not from an immediate family member, is illegal unless you go through an FFL. Same for selling it. .
yes I do and yes he is..immediate family.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; November 19, 2018 at 08:57 AM.