The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Which single stage press
Rock chucker 37 46.25%
Summit 1 1.25%
Big boss 7 8.75%
Other 35 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 13, 2014, 02:47 AM   #1
1stmar

If you were going to get a new single stage ..

If you guys were going to get a new single stage press what would you get? I used to think it would be a rock chucked but some reviews of the new ones are not so good. Been looking at the summit and redding big boss.

Update:
I don't need a turret press. Only loading rifle with it. Currently nothing larger then 06. May go up to 45-70 but unlikely.

Last edited by 1stmar; December 13, 2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old December 13, 2014, 06:08 AM   #2
jwrowland77

Well, I'd get one for my match ammo and it'd be a Co-ax press.
Old December 13, 2014, 06:31 AM   #3
Hammerhead

The Summit looks really neat, but you can't go wrong with Redding either.
Old December 13, 2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Sport45

You didn't mention much in the way of criteria.

I'd get a Lee Classic Cast if I was in the market for a single stage. I really like the Lee Classic Turret I use for all my rifle and magnum pistol loading.
Old December 13, 2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Geezerbiker

The cast iron Lee press is looking very good. I started with a 2nd hand RCBS Jr press about 30 years ago and I haven't come up with a reason to replace it other than the new presses sure look good. As long as my old RCBS Jr press continues to work, I'll keep using it...

Tony
Old December 13, 2014, 08:27 AM   #6
pathdoc

It depends on whether you are starting from scratch or have stuff already. I bought the RCBS Partner press kit from scratch and was happy with it until I decided I needed a turret press. If you're looking for a higher end press than that to supplement existing equipment, I can't really help, I'm afraid.
Old December 13, 2014, 09:29 AM   #7
hanno

I love my Rock Chucker but I'd probably recommend the Lee Classic Cast. It has a better spent primer disposal system and the lever is more adjustable than the RC.

It also uses the Hornady lock-N-Load conversion like the RC, making for quick die chnges.
Old December 13, 2014, 11:59 AM   #8
snuffy

Incomplete poll;

Why was lee left out?

The classic cast lee press is BETTER than the RCBS rockchucker!! Better in that ,(as mentioned above), it gets rid of the spent primers, along with the crud associated with them, down the middle of the ram. They're collected in a capped plastic tube, or can be directed into a trash bucket. ((Primers are made of brass, so saving them along with your scrap/unusable brass to be sold/recycled.)) Another thing, the awesome lee safety prime system can be simply mounted on top of the press, it comes with the bracket for the safety prime.

Yes, RCBS has an auto dispense priming tube that you can get for the RC.

Best part is the lee is made just south of me in Hartford Wisconsin, USA! The RCBS is made in china!!

The point that you can remove the bushing that the standard 7/8x 14 dies screws into to take the Hornady lock&load el-crapo bushings is valid, IF you want to use the damn things.

Lee also makes a similar bushing, the breech lock, better than the H L&L in that the bushings a held in place by a tab that locks into a slot in the bushing. The Hornady bushings can work loose, turn, and unlock. Happens to the powder measure most often.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 13, 2014, 12:44 PM   #9
std7mag

I didn't win the lottery, and will stick with the less expensive Lee products.

Not saying the others are not fine products, just more expensive.
Old December 13, 2014, 12:46 PM   #10
higgite

Forster Co-ax.
Old December 13, 2014, 03:44 PM   #11
Jimro

Lee Classic Cast.

Jimro
Old December 13, 2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Kevin Rohrer

You deserve a press w/ some class.

Choose Hollywood (on the left):

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 13, 2014, 03:57 PM   #13
hounddogman

Lee is a good one
Old December 13, 2014, 04:05 PM   #14
Thunderkiss

Lee Classic
Old December 13, 2014, 05:20 PM   #15
Crankylove

RCBS, Redding, or Hornady.

Whichever you can get the better deal on.
Old December 13, 2014, 05:20 PM   #16
lamarw

I would buy a turret press over a single stage. You can use a turret press as a single stage if so desired. You can also use a turret press for increased efficiency/production whereas you can not match the turret with a single stage in this category of capability.
Old December 13, 2014, 05:27 PM   #17
Lost Sheep

Lee Classic Cast or Forster Co-Ax.

Lee Classic Cast or Forster Co-Ax.

Snuffy is right except for the China mention. That is old information and no longer true. Besides, it was only the casting, not the rest of the press.

Consider what lamarw said. Continuous processing is more my style. Continuous is impossible on a single stage, which is only capable of batch processing. Turret can do either style with equal ease.

Lost Sheep
Old December 13, 2014, 05:50 PM   #18
1stmar

I didn't include lee because I really wasn't considering it. I've had two lee's in the past (progressives) and I didn't feel like they were well made. I have a jr3 and I'm looking to step up in leverage and if possible quality and precision. I've never looked at the lees single stage but will take a look based on feedback so far. I have a lot of lee products so nothing against lee, just wasn't happy with their press. I do have a breech loader and I like it. I have a 550b for pistol and high volume.
Old December 13, 2014, 06:44 PM   #19
Hammerhead

If you're after precision and leverage and willing to invest I would go with the Summit or the Forster Co-ax.

I invested pretty heavily (Redding T-7) when I first started, but many years later I'm glad I didn't go cheap.
Old December 13, 2014, 06:51 PM   #20
Lost Sheep

Quote:
I didn't include lee because I really wasn't considering it. I've had two lee's in the past (progressives) and I didn't feel like they were well made.
I started with a RockChucker and moved to a pair of Lee Pro-1000, which were OK, but I didn't like a number of things about them. I decided to get the best money could buy that fit my needs.

Lee Classic Turret is the best 4-station auto-indexing turret in current production, bar none, at any price.

Lee Deluxe Turret is the second-best and uses the same base as the Pro-1000 progressive and includes all the weaknesses that goes with that base.

Lee Reloader aluminum open-front "C" press is less expensive and I have no use for one as you cannot prime on the press, the leverage is marginal for the larger cartridges and its best attribute is that it is inexpensive.

Lee Challenger is also aluminum "O" frame press. Stronger, but it doesn't handle spent primers to my satisfaction, either.

Lee Classic Cast single stage is cast iron, about equal in strength and leverage to the RockChucker and handles spent primers much better. Also can use the Lee Safety Prime, which is more efficient (in my opinion) than the RockChucker priming system.

I hope my thoughts, observations and opinions help.

Lost Sheep
Old December 13, 2014, 07:19 PM   #21
Clark

I think an RCBS partner press in the bathroom would be good.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 13, 2014, 07:26 PM   #22
lee n. field

Quote:
You deserve a press w/ some class.

Choose Hollywood (on the left):
That is just insanely massive.

STill made?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 13, 2014, 08:27 PM   #23
KEYBEAR

Bought my Rock chucker in about 1969 use it yesterday .
Old December 13, 2014, 08:28 PM   #24
Vance

Lee Classic Cast single stage. Beware that Lee is now making 2 versions of it. They now make a Classic Cast Breechlock single stage. While the breechlock feature is good, they changed the spent primer recovery system on it and it is not as good.
Old December 14, 2014, 02:24 AM   #25
1stmar

Thanks for the responses. Since my rifle reloading steps are pretty serial I don't know that I would use the turret and indexing features. (Though if all things are equal Id probably get the turret) The $$ are about the same between the classic single stage and the classic turret. One concern I would have with the turret since they are interchangeable is there any slop? Would I be better off with the classic single stage ?