The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 3, 2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Weston

Remington Model 11 16 ga

I recently acquired a mod 11 16ga that belonged to wife's grandfather, father, and brother before being passed down to me. It's a typical old gray gun showing lots of use and care. Based on what I see about serial number ranges, it's in the area of the first 9,500 or so 16s.

I assume it's chambered for 2 9/16 shells. I recall from an old gunsmithing book the fairly common need to open lengthen the ejection port on the old 16s to accomodate the longer 2 3/4 shells. Is that necessary for proper function? Is the chamber length itself of concern?

I can't imagine that it would ever be shot much but my son does have an interest in the family heritage aspect. Rather than alter the gun, I would prefer to use RST 2 1/2" shells if todays 2 3/4" are not workable.
Old May 3, 2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Model 11s are built like tanks,Weston. With care and a few replacement parts, and appropriate ammo, that one should be good for a couple more generations.

It's chamber length more than port length that's crucial here. Polywad and RST make 2 1/2" ammo, BP sells components and ammo.

In your shoes, I'd have a good smith go over the thing, clean most of a century of stuff out of the action and relube. He or she can also measure the chamber.

There's a fiber buffer at the rear of the receiver that should be replaced and a set of new springs and friction pieces will set you up for another 10K rounds at least.

HTH....
Old May 7, 2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Weston

I've finally dated this gun to Nov of 1935. Not as early as I thought and possibly chambered for 2 3/4" shells after all. Anyone know when Remington switched from 2 9/16 to 2 3/4 for their 16s?
Old May 7, 2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1935? Practically guaranteed to be 2 /4".

Good luck with this, Family Guns have their own cachet......