The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Firepower!

Reports on Walther P99

Hello
I have been so far very pleased with my P99. However, it does not seem to attarct the market like HKs. It is rather tilting towards Styer sort of market. Styer is an excellant pistol but due to lack of market response it is disappearing. What are your views on P99? Any of you had good or bad experiences with it?
Old October 29, 2009, 05:53 AM   #2
roman3

They are excellent guns with a solid core of supporters and a prestigous name but much like the Steyer you mentioned, the FN's and the Beretta PX4 they just don't seem to garner much interest. They certainly aren't selling like others in the same market.

Price points and lateness to the polymer game may not have helped much. I have seen many of the guns you mention languish at stores and guns shows. Even with seemingly big discounts.

Almost none of the stores around here even stock the P99.

Glocks, HK's, XD's, M&P's seem to have a the lion share of the civilian and police polymer market.
Old October 29, 2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Chipsgt

I would love to own the P99 AS.
It feels like it was built specifically for my hand!
Old October 29, 2009, 08:35 AM   #4
predecessor

The P-99 AS is arguably the best polymer striker fired pistol on the market. However, it is also one of the most expensive in it's class. Combine that with almost zero marketing and you have a small sales base. There are many who would rather buy what everyone else is buying. For many, it is in their nature. Glock, Springfield, and Kimber marketing executives understand and cater to this. Hense, they sell a lot of pistols. Not saying that these manufacturers don't make good pistols, but they are selling a ton, not because they are better than other make and models, but because many don't place "better" and "more expensive" as high a priority as "popular." My apologies for the discourse in psychology.
Old October 29, 2009, 10:32 AM   #5
SVRider

Yeah, it's really a shame that Walther's marketing is so poor. I really think it's the best out there. I like it so much I bought two.
Old October 29, 2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Firepower!

I think the problem is that most people are afraid to try or give chance to something new. It seems like there three types of semi autos around. Glock, 1911 and the 3rd one is a mix of whatever is left over, and very small percentage of that goes beyonf the popular XDs, MPs, HKs and Sigs, etc. I also think that it will be shame for Walther if the let P99 slide into the forgotten dust. A little marketing and putting some pieces in hands of famous handgun authors could do wonders since there simply isnt anything bad about P99.

I was disappointed how Styer M9 fell out of favor. For those of us who have handled Styer know that it is damn good pistol like P99, and better than many trendy names we hear over and over again.
Old October 29, 2009, 03:26 PM   #7
roman3

Well Walther has had similar situations in the past.

When the P88 arrived on the civilian scene (after it failed in the XM-9 tests) it was a fantastic firearm, a little fat in the grip but a tack driver out of the box. A truly awesome pistol. Perhaps Walthers best gun in fit and finish. But its price point even then was $$$. Its publicity campaign was practically non existent.

Then Walther came out with the P88 compact, which had a better less fat grip, different decock/safety, and was supposedly easier and cheaper to produce. Unfortunately it arrived in 1994 and thus became a victim of the Clinton 10 round mag foolishness. And its price point was $$.5 (still costly). With no hi caps immediately available and if you could get them $$$$$$, the gun became another non-starter.

Walther was late with the P99 to the polymer dance and as we know never really has pushed the gun nor been able to price its products in the $ (lower) range.

Perhaps they should offer something like Smith did...two free mags (casue the mags are not cheap either) or a rebate but with such a prestigeous name maybe they think they don't have to.

Frankly the P5 and the P5 Compacts were not great sellers until the German police retired them and they sold them here at lower used surplus prices.
Old October 29, 2009, 03:37 PM   #8
roman3

http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/kalustoe...&equipment=170

Finish Army sidearm
Old October 29, 2009, 03:44 PM   #9
DRSmith

Has anyone chronographed the P99, FNP-9, and PX4-9 4-inch barrel pistols? I wonder how they compare, against each other and against the competitors with somewhat longer barrels.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:18 PM   #10
SigP6Carry

I personally think that the P99 was marketed fairly well. It's James Bond's pistol, which to me is a BIG sell. It is about the only marketing of the P99 that I recall at all, but it was effective.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:36 PM   #11
SVRider

The movie tie-in got me interested in the first place so it did it for me too. Other than that (it was used in a Jet Li movie too) there's not much mention of it in the gun community. It sucks too cause it'll probably end up as a footnote in firearms history, and this gun is way too good to end up that way.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:15 PM   #12
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Short of a good 1911 trigger, the P99AS has about the best trigger that I have ever felt in a semi-auto; once "broken in" with several hundred rounds down range.

Just don't see them in gun stores, and S&Ws attempt at their offering in the partnership on this design was lacking. (Think Sigma, but more expensive.) Helping to kill the enthusiasm domestically; IMHO.

Absolutely love the pistol from my experiences with it, just have not found one used when I have been looking, and also have not ponied up the cash for a new one. It is at the top of my next list, and has been for a few months. Still looking.

Now, go figure...
Old October 30, 2009, 04:01 AM   #13
roman3

Quote:
I personally think that the P99 was marketed fairly well. It's James Bond's pistol, which to me is a BIG sell. It is about the only marketing of the P99 that I recall at all, but it was effective.
Except that was it. And all that was said was "the new Walther". The PPK was mentioned by name way more as Bonds gun in other Bond movie diologues.

Glocks are in 10,000 movies and TV shows and has posters, stickers, pens, shirts, range bags et al, for salesmen to display and sell, aggressivly pursue cop deals. And are willing to stick with less than big selling, overly popular calibers. 10mm, 357sig and the 45GAP, which won't die as long as Glock makes the gun. 4 state police agencies with Florida on its way to #5.

There is always at least 1 or more stands at gun shows that cater to Glock parts and stuff. (and AR15's) Never a Walther or HK or Sig or Beretta stand.

The Glock name has almost become the "Kleenex" of tissues.

Walther has never done any marketing like that or even tried. Then again generally neither has the other makers (maybe Smith & wesson-sort of).

And if its the lemming effect, well so be it. That's business and companies need to either adapt or garner little market share. Trouble is if Walther put together such a PR campaign they might have to add the cost into the price of their guns and they are already high enough to spook most buyers away.

Sorry for the rant.
Old October 30, 2009, 04:29 AM   #14
roman3

I guess I should not have said "spook away most buyers" because clearly price point does not seem to scare HK buyers or even Sig buyers. To me Walther is the more prestigous name in gun making. But HK has developed some of the "Cool" guns, P7 series, MP-5. HK also rather aggresively pursues government (both here and in the rest of the world) contracts. Thus you see the swat/elite units guys running around with their HK's.

Walther has not had a real successful selling pistol in the US unless they were police trade, low cost in P-1's or P-5's.

That's a shame. Truly a shame.
Old October 30, 2009, 04:49 AM   #15
Silvanus

I lot of my friends who just recently got into shooting went with the P99 for their first pistol. They shot a couple of my handguns (Glock, BHP, Sig) and handled several different models at gunshops. Most of them said the P99 felt best in their hand. That was theprimary reason they chose the Walther. So far everybody has been more than happy with their choice. Even though I don't own one (yet ), I really like the P99 myself.
Quote:
it'll probably end up as a footnote in firearms history, and this gu
. I don't know about the US, but the Walther is fairly popular in Europe...

Last edited by Silvanus; October 30, 2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:43 AM   #16
roman3

Unfortunately Europe is not quite enough. Not many world wide goverment agencies use the Walther and like they say of Hollywood and Broadway, if you can make it here you can make it anywhere...or something like that.

America is the gun buying (everything buying) place and making it here in the civilan world is key.

Does not surprise me that Walthers are fairly popular in Europe. They should be fairly popular here too but...
Old October 30, 2009, 09:22 AM   #17
rsxr22

I understand that the P99 is not a powerhouse in sales like the XD and Glock, but i dont think it is anywhere near Steyr's level of sales.

The P99AS is a great pistol and has one of the best triggers on a non-1911 ive ever felt. They have quite a bit of popularity in my area
Old October 30, 2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Graham88

Absolutely a wonderful gun … I wish I could afford 2-3 more …..
Fit and feel are exactly perfect and love the look! Shoots like a dream!

BTW ……. Steyr's Who????
Old November 7, 2009, 12:30 PM   #19
Firepower!

pic of my Walther P99

Old November 7, 2009, 12:47 PM   #20
9mm & .45 Fan

Springfield Armory marketed the hell out of the XD when they came out. Interarms (who imported Walther products before S&W) didn't with the P99. It's a shame, too. I think it could have gone on to be as successful as the XD or the M&P. It's a better design than either, IMO.
Old November 7, 2009, 02:34 PM   #21
ZEBRARANGER

I was cleaning and oiling my handguns a couple of nights ago. When I got to the P99, Its a first generation P99 .40. I was reminded what a truly great handgun its been over the years. Its one of the best striker fired handguns that I've ever come across. The Morini designed grip is one of the most ergonomics grips of any gun I've ever owned or fired. The trigger is buttery smooth and breaks nice and crisp. With a single action pull of 4.4 lbs and a double action pull of 7.8 lbs its just where it needs to be. To me its the perfect size. not too large or too small, and cc's well enough. Its probably one of the ones I dont see myself ever getting rid of. Its always performed flawlessly, except for one time when I used range provided ammo, and that was on me. I think its been one of the best kept secrets of the polymer world. If anyone ever runs across a grate deal on a P99, and your looking for that perfect striker fired polymer. I would highly recommend it....
Old November 7, 2009, 06:04 PM   #22
Pinky Carruthers

The best polymer pistol out there IMO. I like the design so much that I have three P99s, one black, one QPQ, and one olive drab. All three are first generation models.
SOM
Old November 7, 2009, 07:30 PM   #23
SVRider

I really regret not having bought the QPQ variant. I'll just have to be satisfied with the two that I have a first gen and a second gen.
Old November 7, 2009, 07:35 PM   #24
Ace_Breaker

Mine has been flawless so far. I got the DAO trigger because I like the Glock trigger, but they are very different. The trigger has a super long reset. Other than that it is fantastic!
Old November 8, 2009, 12:48 AM   #25
Sharpsdressed Man

Shhhhh! The P99 is a best kept secret. The fact that it isn't as well known like the Glocks, or even the HK's, it is still nice to find one for a decent price. I used to think it was probably just hype, it being the "Bond" pistol and all, and probably just some movie gun wrangler/advisor choosing a Walther for a simple update on the PPK for the super spy. BUT, upon owning and shooting the P99, I have found it is a first rate pistol in every right. Put the P99 in any of the top IDPA and speed shooter's hands, and they will probably shoot it almost as well as any of their tricked out guns. I think the world of mine. It also works well with an AAC Evolution 9 suppressor. I let my daughter shoot mine, and I had to go out and buy another for myself after she "confiscated" mine.

Tags
p99 , walther