The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 22, 2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Dave Sample

Pistolsmithin'

I have just opened up a package with a 1911 in it that I built for a Professional Soldier some years ago. It is very plain and would be In Keeping with a SWAT Type 1911 as it was built from this and that for hard social work. This 1911 has been all over the world and the man that owns it is a highly decorated Green Beret Colonel. now retired. He still does a lot of private work overseas, but this gun needs to be serviced and given a check upo as part of my NO BS Lifetime Warranty Program. I do not ask what he does now and he does not tell me, he just wants to make sure that we detail strip it and do any needed tweaks. It is going to Gunsite tomorrow with me when I meet the new General Manager and I am going to show it to him, as it is a perfect gun for Gunsite Work and one I am very proud of.

My question is: Would you guys and gals like to see some pictures of the type of gun that we used to build for the Bank Guards in Hong Kong, the Merc's, the Deputies here and there? This gun has atomic sights that I designed and is not too hard on the eyes. It has an old Drake Hard Slide, a Kart Army Barrel, an unknown , maybe 80 year old, lower end with a gunsmith stamped custom serial number that Tamara would like, and a shooter that works every time you pull the trigger, with quality ammmo and good magazines.
I am going to have the front strap serrated, I am going to serrate the trigger guard, then I am going to have Electroless Nickle applied to the lower end after it is remodeled. We can do some neat before and after stuff here if you want to. I am up to my ears right now until a couple of days from now, so let me know if this holds any interest for any of you 1911 fans. Post your replies here and I will make the time to read them. This one gives new meaning to a P/P/J/G.
Old March 22, 2005, 01:18 PM   #2
auto45

Yes, very much.

The more...the better.
Old March 22, 2005, 01:46 PM   #3
azmax

I would be delighted to see it
Old March 22, 2005, 02:29 PM   #4
garrettwc

Yes. Yes.

Especially the kind described in your post, built for "hard social work".
Old March 22, 2005, 03:18 PM   #5
buzz_knox

Quote:
My question is: Would you guys and gals like to see some pictures of the type of gun that we used to build for the Bank Guards in Hong Kong, the Merc's, the Deputies here and there?
You even need to ask? Yes, post the pictures, please.
Old March 22, 2005, 05:57 PM   #6
Seraph

Yes, please do post your account of the work, with lots of before/after pics. Thanks, Mr. Sample.
Old March 22, 2005, 06:12 PM   #7
PKAY

Yes, indeed!!
Old March 22, 2005, 07:41 PM   #8
dale taylor

Yes sir Mr. Sample !
Old March 22, 2005, 07:52 PM   #9
Dave Sample

Ok Guys! Give me a day or two and you got it!
Old March 30, 2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Dave Sample

Thanks for waiting. I have been busy with a bunch of small fires that had to be put out.

It lives here when not on the hip.

Got a nice Beavertail Fron Mr. Ed Brown. A standard Colt Thumb Safety.

This is the marking just aft of the ejection port. Note the nice roll over notch.

This si the marking on the Hard Slide made by Drake many moons ago. I filed and filed on the sides but it was too hard to get the machine ripples smooth.

Barrel is one made by Kart for the Armed Services. No Guide Rod in this baby!
Old March 30, 2005, 04:46 PM   #11
Dave Sample

A stake on atomic front sight.

And a rear night light designed by me as the best night sight picture going. It is a custom feature that I used to do. I serrate the rear of the slide.

The barrel hood with the chamber check notch.

Some of the secret stuff for reliablity in here.

A huge hole for magazine insertion.

Note the signature slide stop treatment.

[IMG]http://pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL368/953404/6997810/90620724.jpg[/IMG

Not very fancy, is it? It has everything you need and nothing you don't. A nice flat black/blue finish that wears in nicely, and a set of great sights for social work in the daylight or at night, and a aemi-match barrel that puts them right where they are supposed to go. These were Work Guns and built to do the job in adverse conditions. The lowered porst insures kicking those empty cases out quick and clean and the S&A magazine well/mainspring housing helps for very quick abd certain re loads. Hope you enjoy.
Old March 30, 2005, 04:50 PM   #12
Dave Sample

The overall picture of the P/P/J/G (Pieces parts junk gun) that we built some years ago for hard work in the Comraderie of Danger and Death............

"She's not much to look at, Not much to see, but she works just great and means the world to me......................."
Old March 30, 2005, 04:54 PM   #13
auto45

I like the clean look of the 1911 frame.

Everything seems to blend well/smooth, particulary the brown beavertail fit. That's very important, to me anyway, when shooting.

Many of the current 1911's have too many "cuts, edges, and parts added that look...not quite right!

Very nice.
Old March 30, 2005, 05:40 PM   #14
hivel37

Hey Dave, thanks for the pictures. That is good work. Especially like the serrations on the back of the slide. One of the best shooters I've handled was a "parts gun". Thanks again.
Old March 30, 2005, 07:22 PM   #15
Dave Sample

Whay not have a lttle contrast? This is what we do for fun and games.

Old March 30, 2005, 07:26 PM   #16
Dave Sample

Old March 30, 2005, 07:52 PM   #17
Ledbetter

Now you're just showing off!

Very very nice work. I don't think I've seen better.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old March 30, 2005, 07:55 PM   #18
Handy

I missed it. What is the "signature slide stop treatment"?
Old March 30, 2005, 08:23 PM   #19
N.M. Edmands

As usual, good looking stuff Dave. Bye the way you been "pistolsmithin" on your Volksy Dave? I've had knuckles like the one in your pic. Ow!

"Some where something incredible is waiting to be known" -Carl Sagan
"It aint how good you shoot,it's how cool you look doing it." -Fred Sayre 1994
Old March 31, 2005, 12:04 AM   #20
Dave Sample

The checkering underneath the slide stop is something I have been doing for a long time. Maybe it is not easy to see in that picture.

Here is a better shot on SS01.
Old March 31, 2005, 01:21 AM   #21
Handy

Ah, good stuff. I like it.

That must be really useful when you are constantly locking the slide back manually to clear a jam.

(Yes Dave, I'm pulling your leg.)
Old March 31, 2005, 10:18 AM   #22
Dave Sample

Well..............................jamomatics are not our thing, Handy. Thanks for the kind words. Your opinion is valuble to me.
Old March 31, 2005, 10:28 AM   #23
XavierBreath

I like it! That is one hard core take no prisoners no BS shooting iron.
Old March 31, 2005, 11:18 AM   #24
Dave Sample

We are going to change the appearance of this gun somewhat by serrating the front strap like a Gold Cup, and then doing a rough blast on the rounds and sending it out to have it Electroless Nickle plated on the lower end. The barrel bore has no leade so I am going to ream the chamber with my Clymer Finish Reamer to make it less sensitive to re loads and ammo that is not up to snuff, but that will shoot. Right now it has to be fed real good ammo and we want to make it a little more forgiving. I am pleased that the Colonel thinks enough of it now to make some cosmetic and function improvements. I am not happy with that trigger he furnished and will change it to one I can adjust for Prep (Take Up) and overtravel. I also have to make sure that we still have a 3lb trigger pull.
It does kind of say "Open for Business", doesn't it?
I just installed Nite Lights on his LW Colt Commander so he is not un-armed out there. Don Williams did it for us and did a beautiful job of machining. I was just the middle man here. I have to admit that they were so neat I am thinking about my LW Commander and those little eyes that glow in the dark...................................oh well, maybe when the money comes................... This work on the gunfighter gun is all Pro Bono. He is a Friend of the Family. Thanks for the nice comments. That is my payday now.
Old March 31, 2005, 01:57 PM   #25
XavierBreath

Quote:
change it to one I can adjust for Prep (Take Up) and overtravel
Dave,
For my future reference, are there any triggers other than the McCormick and Dlask that you can adjust for prep? Also, do you know if anyone has ever drilled and tapped the frame for a setscrew to adjust prep?
thanks,
XB