The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 21, 2002, 12:38 PM   #1
butchb243

Lube

What oils & greases are best for care & functioning of your firearms?

Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands!

Save your confederate money boys the south is gonna rise again!
Old June 21, 2002, 02:27 PM   #2
BigG

I think Breakfree CLP is the best overall I've used. I also use a smidge of white lithium grease on a few internal parts of autoloaders or if I see a wear spot. Just a smidge.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 21, 2002, 08:23 PM   #3
S.F.S

I have used Break-Free in the past with no problems. But at the present time Im using Tetra as a lube I have not used it to condition the bore yet. But this stuff is the slickest stuff I have ever used
I have also used Slip 2000 in the past and was pleased with it, its not as slick as Tetra but things clean right up after using it.

I recently bought some G96 which is a CLP but have not had the opportunity to try it out yet.

I have used these lubricants in the past with no real problems.
Outters Gun oil (Too thin no longer use it)
Rem-oil (Mainly used for wiping guns down, occasionly to clean trigger assemblies and oil the bore after cleaning)
Break-Free (Still use it on occasion)
Slip 2000 (Currently not using it)
Tetra Lubricant (The main lubricant Im using at the time)
Old June 22, 2002, 12:03 AM   #4
HSMITH

Break free will harden and gum up the action if used heavily, go easy on it and it is hard to beat.

If you need grease the Rig +P lube is hard to beat.
Old June 22, 2002, 08:05 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

HAVE THEM ALL...............

I use BreakFree CLP and TetraGrease on all my handguns, both autos and wheels.

I use TetraLube (skunk) oil to condition bores (yes, I actually rarely clean them).

This has proven successful for me, regardless of gun, in environmental conditions ranging from 95F to -25F, dusty/rainy/snowny/sandy/no-maintenance-except-more-CLP.
Old June 22, 2002, 11:35 AM   #6
TowGuy

No Complaints with Break Free, I've been using it for a while now. On the recommendation of others, I've also picked up some Militec-1 and a tube of that TW25B. I haven't had the chance to "field test" it yet though.

TG
Old June 22, 2002, 12:06 PM   #7
NAVIGATOR

LUBE OIL

I use BreakFree "LP" which is "CLP" without the "C" (cleaner)
for lubrication--works GREAT.
Old June 22, 2002, 04:41 PM   #8
PKAY

I use a home brew of 3 parts STP (or generic equivalent) and 1 part Marvel Mystery oil (or combination to suit viscosity needs). Been doing this for over a year with great results. I clean the actions with WD-40 (I know, I know) and thoroughly dry with compressed air and re-lube with combo above. Does not dry out. Slick as snot and totally off the wall compared to what you'll read here. Do a search on lubrication and you'll get more chemical engineering treatises than you ever thought possible. Try a variety. I used to use a combo of Militech and 20wt. motor oil, but it dried out in the climate controlled safe within a couple of months.
Old June 22, 2002, 07:38 PM   #9
NAVIGATOR

A synthetic motor oil, such as Mobil 1, is a good all-round lubricant that I use for some things like mags and mag-wells---good stuff.

I plan to experiment some more with it as the price is right compared to lubes that are sold for firearms.
Old June 24, 2002, 12:13 PM   #10
stinger

I've never really used a bad grease or oil. Not to say that there aren't any out there (there probably are) but I haven't run across them.

Those carried by your local stores will probably work just fine. I prefer Hoppe's Oil and think that Remoil is verrrrrrry light.

When grease is necessary, I just use whatever I have around the house. Right now it is Quaker State.

Regards,

Stinger
Old July 25, 2002, 08:29 PM   #11
drcohen

motor oils leave residue, and lack the performance of the right gun grease.

I took both the Glock Armorer's Course and a quickie with the Sigarms rep, and both instructors noted TW-25B.

Tried it. Love it. Less maintenance. Always in fire ready condition.
Old July 26, 2002, 01:25 AM   #12
Chugach

BreakFree CLP has been a real eye-opener. I've been using it for about two years and have been most impressed with the way it prevents rust. My hands sweat easier than any other part, so that's a big deal for me.

The Cleaner, Lubricant parts also perform well. I've used it on semiautos at -10 to -15 F, and as long as you don't over-apply, things work just fine even if you let the pistols "cold soak".

TetraLube grease works well, but like many greases will get you in trouble at low temperatures.
Old July 27, 2002, 09:54 PM   #13
hansolo

Gun Juice

On the recommendation of a couple LEOs, I ordered Microlon Gun Juice: It is alleged to be a "dry" anti-friction treatment that takes a few applications to build up a molecular friction-free zone.www.microlon.com
Old July 28, 2002, 05:04 PM   #14
UBoatCaptain

Militec-1

I use Militec-1 and this stuff is very slippery, wet and lasts so long. In fact, you can oil the gun and put it away for 12 months to see the oil did not evaporate. Falex Load Carrying Capacity is very high. Recommended factory lubricant on all Beretta firearms.
Old July 28, 2002, 05:06 PM   #15
UBoatCaptain

Break-Free "LP"

Break-Free "LP" (Lubricant/Preservative) is very good. It does not evaporate like the Break-Free "CLP" (Cleaner, Lubricant & Preservative). Break-Free "CLP" was said to be the factory lubricant that Glock uses.
Old July 28, 2002, 05:20 PM   #16
S.F.S

Update, Just started using G96.

I have recently started using G96 Gun Treatment and am satisfied with its performance so far, it cleans better than Break-Free and has a pleasent smell it seems to lubricate pretty well also.
Dirt doesn't attract to it as much as it does with B.F. CLP.

I did a corrosion test with ocean salt water a few weeks ago and G96 didn't do all that well compared to B.F. CLP but then again I usually don't soak my guns in salt water for 24 hours either

Scott
Old July 28, 2002, 07:44 PM   #17
switch625

another militec user, this stuff is slick. you will notice smoother cycling. benchmade also uses and sells it exclusively.
Old July 29, 2002, 06:28 PM   #18
HankL

FP-10 and Brownells Action Lube Plus are all I use.
Old July 29, 2002, 07:50 PM   #19
Romulus

Break-Free CLP even as lubricant only...if I went with grease in addition to CLP, I would use a good NLGI grade 2 grease, preferably synthetic base with a solid lubricant like teflon or moly, with the GC-LB NLGI service classification

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old August 2, 2002, 10:10 PM   #20
hansolo

Gunlube/gunglue

I have a friend who owns in the neighborhood of 70 firearms(!).
He claims to NEVER use anything except WD-40 This stuff attracts crud like an electromagnet and turns to sludge in cold weather. The really wierd part is....I've been shooting with him several times(semi-auto pistols, revolvers, long guns...)ALL his firearms work and the guy is a darn good marksmen!

GO FIGURE!
Old August 3, 2002, 02:39 AM   #21
Romulus

"...I have a friend who owns in the neighborhood of 70 firearms(!).
He claims to NEVER use anything except WD-40

Lucky for him him he won't live to see the day his firearms fail...a tribute to engineering and metallurgical sciences

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old August 7, 2002, 03:01 PM   #22
the duck of death

Synthetic motor oil is used in race cars that turn 10-12 thousand RPMs I think its more than adequate for your banger. I've used it for years with good results and at $4 a qt at Wall Mart that's probably a life time supply. But you can throw your money away on those 2 & 4 oz bottles and keep a lot of people happy if you want to.
Old August 8, 2002, 03:54 AM   #23
Firepower

I'll Prove It !!

Some of you may have seen this posting on the 1911 Forum, Brian Enos' Forum, and the pistolsmith.com Forum. I'll make the same offer here....

"To the shooters out there who are interested, I'd like to give YOU the opportunity to prove to yourself, at no charge, that Firepower FP-10 CLP IS the superior CLP that you have heard others and myself talk about (seeing that this is alright with the board admin as not to be construed with openly marketing a product for self gain, but to demonstrate to the shooters that are interested, that the quality and proclamations of a product {FP-10}, are indeed what the manufacturer says, giving the shooter the best value for his dollar and saving them countless dollars on "chance buying" due to rumor or "hear-say").

I would like to do exactly what I did on Brian Eno's Forum first, then on the 1911 Forum, and on the pistolsmith.com Forum recently, in hopes that many of you will take advantage of my offer and put the FP-10 to the test. I have given hundreds of samples of FP-10 away in these "Offering up of Proof" give-aways, with an overwhelming response of complete satisfaction and the majority of "takers" becoming FP-10 converts after using it. I do NOT give away a "lousey little blister pack" that doesn't contain enough product to even finish what you started. You will receive a full, 1 ounce, heavy duty bottle and applicator, which is a regular retail item (remember that MANY of the products of this nature come in a full size, 4 ounce bottle, that you pay a premium dollar for). Here's what you'll get...

I will accept all emails requesting a free, "shooters bag" bottle of FP-10 (1 fluid ounce) for your own use and evaluation. I'll even pick up the freight on it all, and ship it UPS to your door. I respond to every email, personally to let you know that your request has been received, and that the FP-10 is "on it's way".

I have said for years, that I would rather put the FP-10 where my mouth is, and let the user see for themselves that all the talk in the world and high tech psycho-babble doesn't compare with the actual usage of any given product(s). That's where you separate the "Bull" from the "s**t", or on a lesser note, the "wheat from the chaff".

So those of you who have been in doubt or just curious to try Firepower FP-10 CLP...now is your chance. We'll bring it to you, free of charge.

Just email me at [email protected] or go to www.fp10.com and click on the offer there.

Dont forget to mention in your email, that you are taking advantage of the free offer (by me) on "thefireingline.com" Forum Board.

Wouldn't it be GREAT, if everyone could try any retail product first, before you end up spending your money on something that just didn't live up to the claims you read or heard about. I started this in the beginning of June, and there has been to my knowledge, only one other competitor to follow suit (see below).

Since Brad and Alan are giving away a sample too, why not go here (http://www.militec1.com), get one, and compare??

So what have you got to lose?...Go for it!!

Best regards,
George
Member : Society of Tribologists & Lubrication Engineers (STLE)
Society of Automotive & Aerospace Engineers (SAE)
American Society of Naval Engineers (ASNE)
National Contract Management Association (NCMA) Tidewater Branch
NAVSPECWAR - Small arms Lubricant Consultant
Old August 8, 2002, 09:35 AM   #24
Alex Johnson

WD-40 is my favorite, it's cheap (which is why a lot of gun companies who make oils and protective sprays caution against it's use) and it works. I always keep it around my shop and I don't hesitate to spray down a finshed rust blue job with it afterwards.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old August 8, 2002, 12:46 PM   #25
Firepower

WD-40 is CHEAP..

Geeeze Alex, a free offer, and you are going to pass it up for WD-40? I must admit, you can't rub FP-10 on your arthritic joints with psycho-symatic results, but then again, that's not what the FP-10 was designed or intended for.....nor was WD-40 ever intended for firearms usage.

The WD stands for "Water Displacing", as it was designed for use on electrical circuits, and first being introduced in the late 60's and early 70's in the automotive aftermarket for displacing water in the ignition systems in distributor caps and sparkplug wiring. Then someone said, "hey, I'll bet this stuff would make a great lube", hence the saga of "anything that sticks or squeaks" began. After about $9 Million in advertising campaigns across America, and using the repetitive principals of "The Manchurian Candidate", we all stumbled around mumbling "...anthing that sticks or squeaks...WD-40..." and bought into it, lock stock, and barrell.

The evaporation rate of WD is pretty high, as after a couple days in the open air, most folks can't find a trace of it left. As for it's corrosion protection, well, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of good data out there with regards to that. As a lubricant with good anti-wear or extreme pressure attributes...nada again.

I'll make you a deal. Show me any "VIABLE" test data from an independant and qualified ASTM test lab that proves, that WD-40 is an "above average" lubricant, cleaner, or preservative for firearms, and I'll give you a lifetime supply of Firepower FP-10 CLP. How's that for "putting up"?

So, in the meantime, why don't you take the "FP-10 challenge" and just see what you have been missing (and what your guns have been missing) for years.
Come on....it's FREE....
You have nothing to lose.

Best regards,
George
Member : Society of Tribologists & Lubrication Engineers (STLE)
Society of Automotive & Aerospace Engineers (SAE)
American Society of Naval Engineers (ASNE)
National Contract Management Association (NCMA) Tidewater Branch
NAVSPECWAR - Small arms Lubricant Consultant