The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 27, 2020, 08:07 AM   #51
ghbucky

From my observations, if you want a caliber that is always available, go with 6.5 creedmor for rifle and 10mm for handgun.

Those are about the only calibers I see still available.
Old July 27, 2020, 09:30 AM   #52
wild cat mccane

Agreed with whoever said every gun owner they knew of had too much ammo after a shortage.

There is no lack of fear of having people buy more than is reasonable.
Old July 27, 2020, 10:56 AM   #53
seanc

Quote:
Agreed with whoever said every gun owner they knew of had too much ammo after a shortage.

There is no lack of fear of having people buy more than is reasonable.
Neither of those sentences make any sense. Too much ammo? For what? If my rent is paid and my family isn't starving, I don't have too much ammo. I also stocked up before/between the panic(s). I have what I want and what my anticipated need is: I have enough, for now. Who says what's reasonable? Be careful of what limits you're implying.
Old July 27, 2020, 12:19 PM   #54
jetinteriorguy

I have way more than is reasonable, unless I shoot it all up. Then it wasn’t enough.
Old July 27, 2020, 12:36 PM   #55
CDW4ME

One thing about 10mm - I can handload regular "old tech" JHP bullets like Nosler 150/180 and they will expand nicely at 1,400 and over 1,200 fps - I've tested.

10mm velocity be like that.
Old July 27, 2020, 01:27 PM   #56
dgang

Only difference the shortages have made for me is I'm now using SRP for my .357 and .38 (out of a .357) and saving the SPP for the other loads. I'll start worrying when I'm down to my last 1k of pistol and 1k of rifle primers and last few pounds of powder. Had to start using H335 for the .45/70, can't find any H4198 on the market. Other than that good to go.
Old July 27, 2020, 03:49 PM   #57
Ibmikey

I just go to my cans of ammo that I have been filling for years when I need to shoot. When the .22 shortage hit I had over 30,000, 223 today no sweat....just gave 500 9mm to a friend who had none.....Be prepared....I remember from my scout days.
Old July 27, 2020, 09:44 PM   #58
scoobysnacker

Out of curiosity, has there been a run on Berdan primers yet? I seem to remember somebody saying you COULD reload steel cases, it was just a PITA.

For us guys with Makarovs, AK's, SKS's, and things like the roller-block guns that happily eat 308 steel, it may one day become a useful item.
Old July 28, 2020, 09:10 AM   #59
Timeless

While there is a shortage of easily available ammo locally, if you look online you can still find them.

Just the last two weeks I found 1000 rounds of 556 for $500, 500 rounds of 38 special for $169, and 500 rounds of 9mm for $170.
NRA Lifer
Old July 28, 2020, 09:19 AM   #60
RETG

I walked into a store yesterday and purchased six boxes of 9mm, six of .40, and one of .44 mag.

Didn't realize there was supposed to be an ammo shortage.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old July 28, 2020, 10:19 AM   #61
seanc

SD ammo is still available and at "pre-panic" prices as far as I can tell. That has to be the #1 concern. Range ammo is important for practice, but I can practice with .22LR or pellet guns, which I am, and luckily, I'm still able to hit the range twice a month too. The only unanticipated disruption eating into my ammo supply is my son's newfound desire to go to the range with me.
Old July 28, 2020, 10:51 AM   #62
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker View Post
Out of curiosity, has there been a run on Berdan primers yet? I seem to remember somebody saying you COULD reload steel cases, it was just a PITA.

For us guys with Makarovs, AK's, SKS's, and things like the roller-block guns that happily eat 308 steel, it may one day become a useful item.
Berdan primers aren't easy to find during normal times.
Old July 28, 2020, 04:10 PM   #63
laytonj1

Quote:
Didn't realize there was supposed to be an ammo shortage.
Sorry you got left out

I can find 9mm, 40 and 45 here but the prices are painful.

Jim
Old July 28, 2020, 05:39 PM   #64
langenc

I said before and now--take your next (or last) check and buy at least 1000
rounds of a couple ammos.. or use savings since there is no interest might as well 'invest it'.

If you do reload a few pounds of powder and couple thousand primers and bullets.

Then shoot when ever you wish but dont get under 500 or so on the ammo before another buy. We would think Obama taught us something but we are slow learners.

As far as prices being 'painful' they wont go down and that is aided/abetted by the free $$$$. Just think what your grandkids will pay for 9mm...

My Dad said when he and Mom married (Sept 1931) you could buy a pork loin for 50 CENTS (the whole thing). Problem was-no one had 50 cents.

Turkey was $1.00/pound when he was teenager. They had chicken for Thanksgiving. Never asked what they cost, darn it.
Old July 28, 2020, 08:56 PM   #65
FrankenMauser

I just helped someone locate 2,000 rounds of .303 Savage, at discounted pricing.

I don't see what the problem is...
Old July 29, 2020, 09:42 AM   #66
gnystrom

Interesting trun of events. I have a local police supply distributor/retail warehouse and that is where I can buy SD ammo in boxes of 50 for less than the same ammo packaged in 20 round boxes at most LGS.
They also noirmally have cases of "training ammo" of all calibers on the shelves at all times even when others are out, think 2012 election time.
Yesterday I drove over for a box of .45 SD loads. The had three on the shelf and not much else. The clerk told me she they had never seen a supply chain so disrupted.
I bought one and left two remaining for the next guy. 50 rds Speer 230 gr. Gold Dot $29.99/bx.
Glad I made the decision to reload thirty years ago.
Old July 29, 2020, 11:40 AM   #67
scoobysnacker

I think, in addition to the supply chain being messed up, there's just a mad buying frenzy going on too.

I've gotten emails for zip guns, AR style shotguns, today I got an email for SKS promags. These are things we gun owners consider novelties... but right now they're flying off the shelves. There are people who are buying anything they can get their hands on.
Old July 29, 2020, 03:01 PM   #68
dontcatchmany

What I learned during a previous ammo shortage was to get more 40 S&W handguns and get get a 9mm and a 357 Sig barrel for each.

Now I have 4 40s with 9mm and 357 Sig and appropriate magazines.

While I have ample 9mm (I do not carry it and it is a backup just in case) practice and SD, I can find 40 and 357 Sig very readily. Just got a bunch in (as well as some 9mm) today.

All of my 40s are convertible to all 3 calibers. If you can not find one or two of the calibers you have a third for the same platform. If they all dry up you, like myself, will wish you had started hand loading.

I do not regret my choices. Even the durn Gluck 27 which has been a nightmare for several years may finally be fixed to a point I can trust it for some form of self defense. Going through a 500+ round retesting of all 3 calibers in it before it gets trusted with my and/or my loved ones lives.
Old July 29, 2020, 03:02 PM   #69
jimku

Just turn on your TV for 5 minutes and there is plenty of reason to have a gun right there in plain sight.
More senseless violence than I have ever seen in my 72-year lifetime.
I haven't seen any statistics on concealed carry permits but I will bet that applications for those has gone through the roof just like the demand for guns and ammo.
Old July 30, 2020, 09:24 AM   #70
stephen426

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ammu...-ammo/?cgid=78

Wow... practice 9mm is up to $.90 per round on Cheaper than dirt. I really think it might be time to sell off some ammo. Going to see how things look on gunbroker.
Old July 31, 2020, 12:13 AM   #71
JohnKSa
Staff

I will never, ever buy anything from CTD. Their name is a lie unless you believe that "Cheaper Than" means the same thing as "Treat Your Customers Like".

What you see is par for the course. You can always count on them to react just like that as soon as there's even the hint that supply is not keeping up with demand.
Old July 31, 2020, 09:38 AM   #72
stephen426

John,

I respect your position, but I buy from whoever has what I want at the price I want to pay. When supply is scarce, prices usually go up. I certainly would not pay $.90 per round for standard 9mm fmj ammo.
Old July 31, 2020, 12:14 PM   #73
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
John,

I respect your position, but I buy from whoever has what I want at the price I want to pay. When supply is scarce, prices usually go up. I certainly would not pay $.90 per round for standard 9mm fmj ammo.
Please let us know of Cheaper Than Dirt ever has a price you want to pay.

CTD went on my "never, ever, no how, no way" list at least ten or fifteen years ago. There is nothing "cheap" about their prices, and they are notorious for gouging. That's all JohnKSa was trying to convey.
Jeepaholic
Old July 31, 2020, 12:29 PM   #74
jimku

I don't even bother to look on CTD for anything.
Old July 31, 2020, 01:28 PM   #75
mr bolo

when TSHTF dont rely on gun stores to have what you need, it's the same with food / rations , you have to be prepared at all times

most people are just too use to having everything so easy & convenient , dont know how to cook, too lazy always ordering take out, the pandemic also had an effect on that, you better learn how to cook or stock extra food in case of a lockdown, or civil unrest.

too much easy living has made people "soft"