The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 27, 2017, 07:52 PM   #1
kanomoir

Big bore lever gun

I love lever guns. I’ve got 2 Henry rimfires that are among my favorite rifles.

I’ve been lately very interested in getting a 45-70 lever action and would like to hear from those of you who have used or owned one.

I recently bought a Marlin 30-30 which I got rid of. I did not like its quality, and everything I’ve read about the hit or miss experiences many have had since Remington bought Marlin makes me want to avoid another Marlin until the bugs are worked out.

The Henry all-weather model is appealing. All of the Henrys get good reviews, and the brass model is a beauty. I prefer the gate loading to the magazine tube, but it’s not a deal killer.

The Japanese made Winchester 1886 short rifle looks good, but I’ve never handled one. I’m also intrigued by the Chiappa Ridge Runner takedown model, but, again, I’ve never handled one - it gets good reviews but is nearly twice the cost of a Henry. Right now I can handle the cost of the Winchester or the Chiappa if I can be convinced that either is overall better than the Henrys.

And then there’s the Browning BLR which isn’t available in 45-70 but is availabe in 450 Marlin which is I understand a hotter load with nastier recoil than the lighter 45-70 loads. The price on the Browning is not bad, and it is a Browning.

I’ve been around long enough to know nothing is perfect and there are trade offs no matter what I decide.

What say you?
Old October 27, 2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Blindstitch

I would take the time to buy a Marlin with JM barrel in whatever you wanted if that's the case. My dad has both 30-30 and 444. Great shooters and quality even though I like my Winchesters.
Old October 27, 2017, 09:46 PM   #3
RIDE-RED 350r

My sister now owns the Henry 30-30 brass that belonged to our Dad. It is a fine rifle, well made, shoots as good as any open sight rifle and is pretty to boot. One thing to note though compared to say a Win 94 is that the Henry is quite hefty. This may be a downside if you want something lightweight for woods carry, but the upside is the weight makes it a smooth shooter. I have two Win 94, one is a Big Bore 375 and the other a Trapper 45 Colt. The Henry is very noticeably heavier than my BB 94.

Having said that, for similar money, have a look at the Win 94 Big Bores. They were made in 307 Win, 356 Win and 375 Win. All of those cartridges are quite impressive if you ask me. If you are not a reloader though, these may not be the best thing for you.

As to the current Winchester lever rifles made by Miroku...I have not yet handled one but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who owns one giving them bad reviews on gun boards. Personally, I'm dying to get myself a new 1886 Short Rifle and have no qualms about pursuing one when I am able.
Old October 27, 2017, 11:34 PM   #4
JWT

The Japanese (Miroku) made lever actions are extremely nice guns.. very well finished with nice wood. Their actions are very smooth and they are accurate. I have the 1873 and love it. A real head turner every time I take it to the range.
Old October 28, 2017, 12:46 AM   #5
Dufus

The Henry H010CC (45-70) is a fine shooter for me. The added feature is the 22" octagon barrel. I have never shot anything but lead bullets out of it.

I am not much on the short barrel version.
Old October 28, 2017, 03:37 AM   #6
eastbank

I have a Winchester timber carbine in 444 marlin that is light and handy, but it does kick with the 265-300gr bullets I shoot. as far as the Japanese made browning-Winchester lever action rifles they are top shelf. when I compare them to my original Winchesters they don,t come up short. eastbank.
Old October 28, 2017, 04:37 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What would be the 45-70 primary purpose?
Old October 28, 2017, 06:00 AM   #8
Capt Rick Hiott

Ive hunted here in Charleston,SC with a Marlin 1895GBL 45/70 for years. Love the gun and will never get rid of it. It likes the Hornady 325Gr ammo.

You don't have to worry about a hog or deer getting up with a good shot placement. Blades of grass or small bushes in the way,,,no problem,,,shoot! Its a great brush gun!
Old October 28, 2017, 06:06 AM   #9
Rob228

I've got a Winchester 94 Timber Carbine in .450 Marlin. Kind of hard to find these days but its a pretty sweet little rifle. Bit of a thumper though.
Old October 28, 2017, 06:15 AM   #10
kanomoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee View Post
What would be the 45-70 primary purpose?
Pigs
Old October 28, 2017, 06:48 AM   #11
jonnyc

We have a really pretty Marlin in .45-70 at the shop; not much in SE PA to hunt with it.
Old October 28, 2017, 12:55 PM   #12
az_imuth

Browning 1886 SRC

I picked up one of the Browning 1886 carbines a few years back and absolutely love it. Nice wood, built like a tank, wood and metal are very well fitted, shoots straight, and it doesn't have the rebounding hammer safety like current Winchesters do. Made just like the original Winchesters were made, but with modern steel. It's been a great rifle and a purchase that I have never regretted for second.

Old October 28, 2017, 01:34 PM   #13
Model12Win

Looks a beut! And with a could make a sweet little defender!!
Old October 28, 2017, 03:53 PM   #14
Straitshot

I have both a Winchester (Miroku) 1886 Deluxe short rifle and a Browning SRC also made by Miroku both in 45-70. The Winchester DSR is physically heavier than the Browning and therefore absorbs the recoil a bit better, but neither is bad. I shoot 350 gr gas checked cast bullets and about 28 gr. of IMR4198. With my old eyes and using the barrel sights I can shoot 3" three shot groups at 100 yards from the bench and off hand at 50 yards. Some days a little better and some days a little worse. I want to get a good receiver peep sight for the Winchester but just haven't yet. I really like both of these rifles and the tang safety and rebounding hammer on the Winchester doesn't bother me.

These are more expensive than the Henry's or the Marlins. If I had to choose between the Marlin and the Henry I would choose an earlier Marlin 1895CB model with the longer JM barrel with the Ballard rifling. The Henry may be a really good rifle but I personally don't like having to load through the tube.

Here is a photo of both my 1886 rifles.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Straitshot; October 28, 2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old October 28, 2017, 08:15 PM   #15
Obambulate

I would just go for the all-weather Henry and never look back. Best combination of quality / price / no-worry finish.
Old October 28, 2017, 08:25 PM   #16
Capt Rick Hiott

This will be my next one....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+SS%2FLaminate
Old October 29, 2017, 08:24 AM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Picked a good cartridge for BIG swine. But for those tasty eating little piggys the 45-70 may prove to be to much gun for them fellers.

I was going to purchase a 45-70 Henry (single shot) awhile back for my deer hunting North of the Mason-Dixion but have changed my mind due to Henry's slow to market their new rifle and too after some second thought my already having a number of great deer rifles in different calibers.
I think I'll parlay that new rifle money into buying a better sound system for my Ranger. Yup!!
Old October 29, 2017, 11:59 AM   #18
ThomasT

I had a JM Marlin 45-70 and it was a nice rifle. But I shot so many reduced loads I just went back my 44 mag. Its lighter and should kill pigs just fine. It kills the hell out of deer. Just a thought.
Old October 29, 2017, 12:14 PM   #19
Nanuk

I researched this some years ago and found that with proper bullet/load selection the 44 magnum carbine will do anything the 45-70 will do in a lighter handier package.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 29, 2017, 01:56 PM   #20
RIDE-RED 350r

Being that most modern leverguns chambered in 45 Colt can handle the "Ruger only" loads, one chambered in 45 Colt is worth a look as well.
Old October 30, 2017, 05:37 PM   #21
dgludwig

One of my favorite rifles for hunting deer or bear in heavy cover is a Winchester Model 1886 "Extra Light Weight" rifle, chambered in .45-70 (Miroku repo). This well-made, nicely finished, smooth operating, lever-action rifle weighs just over seven pounds and has a "shotgun" style butt. Very accurate rifle for its type. I mounted a Williams "FoolProof" receiver sight on mine.