The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 23, 2001, 09:48 PM   #1
fortunate Son

Mak firing pin problem.

Just noticed this today.

Bulgarian Mak (military) bought pre-owned in excellent condition about four weeks ago. 200 rnds though it with no problems what-so-ever (all Barnaul JHP). Tonight as I was unloading the pistol I notice a very small dent in the primer of the round that had been chambered. I removed the round topped off the mag with a new round and chambered it. Dropped the safety/decockling lever, raised it, removed the mag and cycled the slide. The previously unmarked round had the same small dent.

My first thought was that the firing pin must have been making contact when the safety was engaged but after several more tests, the mark appears after the slide is racked, but before the safety is engaged and the pistol decocked.

This is my first Mak. Is this normal (I dont see how it can be)? What do you think the problem is? What can I do to fix it? Is it safe to continue chambering rounds? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old September 23, 2001, 10:12 PM   #2
Borf

I wouldn't chamber any more rounds!!!!!

Does the pin protrude from the breach face?

The makarov doesn't have a firing pin spring to hold it away from the primer end of things, it just floats around in the chanel as it likes. If you've got gook in the firing pin chanel it can hold the p-in a forward position, potentially leading to a slamfire situation (bad, bad mojo).

Try cleaning out said parts *real good* see makarov.com for mucho information.

You should be able to hear the firing pin move back and forth if you move the gun back and forth along the bore axis.

If cleaning real good doesn't help with the pin then see a gunsmith about it.

I *really* wouldn't chamber anything else in that gun until you do fix it.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old September 23, 2001, 10:25 PM   #3
fortunate Son

The pistol is clean and the pin moves back and forth along the bore axis. When I "shake" the pin forward, it protrudes approximately 1/16" from the breach surface. When I shake it back it is recessed into the breach. Another thread response I received at glocktalk says this is the way it is with a Mak. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old September 24, 2001, 12:59 AM   #4
railroader

I've had my mak for about seven years and it puts marks on the the primers but not deep enough to set off the round. You probably get the mark when the slide slams forward when it chambers a round and the firing pin is still moving forward.I think if it was a problem you would hear more about it