The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 8, 2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Dirigo

870 Finish

What kind of finish does an 870 Express Super Mag wear?
Old March 9, 2006, 08:03 AM   #2
johnbt

I believe they're still bead-blasted and then blued. The general consensus is to keep them well oiled, greased or waxed to prevent rust. Mine has held up well since '93.

John
Old March 9, 2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Death from Afar

Yes, they need oil, they get a sheen of rust VERY quickly. The blued wing masters dont need as much oil.
Old March 10, 2006, 10:56 PM   #4
rhgunguy

What do you do when the rust starts poping up? Haven't shot since duck season, but yesterday went out to the range and noticed all these little rust spots. How do i get rid of them and what products keep them from coming back? If it is such a well-known problem, why hasn't remington fixed it? For that matter why are 870s so popular?
Old March 11, 2006, 08:34 AM   #5
johnbt

Try lightly rubbing with oil on a patch or cloth. Or just use a clean toothbrush and oil. Lightly. Then leave it oiled overnight and do it again. Let us know how it turns out.

The blue on a gun is just a form of rust in the first place, and some continue to rust a little faster than others if not oiled, greased or waxed. They all rust eventually, even the stainess guns, if they're exposed to water or fingerprints.

I think the inexpensive Remington shotguns, based on my Express and Wal-Mart 1100 synthetic, are put in the box before the blue (or preservative) has dried because it was all over everything.

John