The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2006, 05:21 PM   #1
Mummer

Best 20 gauge Home Defense/outdoor range gun

I know, I know: 12 gauge is the best for dropping thugs. But I just do not like the kick of it all. So, can you fine folks steer me toward the best choice in a 20 gauge to be used for outdoor range practice and, God forbid, a home defense situation? Price is not much of a concern. Reliability is key. Availability of accessories is semi-important. I don't have a preference as to pump or semi-auto. Thanks a lot!
Old January 14, 2006, 07:11 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

Heavy loads in a lightweight 20 ga. can deliver more felt recoil than some 12 ga. guns with light loads.

If you are recoil sensitive get a semiauto gas gun like a Remington 1100. They come in 20 ga. too...

lpl/nc
Old January 14, 2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Mannlicher

I dunno about best, but for some time, I have been using a Mossberg 500C for things like that. It came with a pistol grip and an 18 inch barrel. By buying a regular stock, and a 26 inch barrel with choke tubes, it became an all around little shotgun. Parts switch pretty quick, and I think it makes a good HD shotty, and it is also not bad at all when hunting squirrel or birds.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 14, 2006, 11:17 PM   #4
Georgian

I recommend an 870 Youth Model. Very handy, quick to shoulder, recoil is manageable, and everything works fine for me.

God Bless
Old January 15, 2006, 04:08 PM   #5
David Berkowitz

Keep in mind that you are mixing two very different purposes. The best HD guns will not be very good for outdoor range shooting and visa versa.
If price is really not an issue, get two guns. Really.
With some training, your Fabarm will be a great HD gun. I think Benelli is the best, but you won't see any difference.
For outdoor range work, buy something heavy. It will absorb recoil better. My wife uses a Remington 870 Wingmaster Trap model with no problem.
Some ranges rent shotguns. Try to find a range that does that and actually shoot a variety.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Old January 16, 2006, 09:58 AM   #6
BoltWorks

I recomend the 870 "turkey camo" gun. It comes with a synthetic camo pattern stock, 21' barrel. I put a mag extension on mine, and it screws right in. There are NO "dimples" in the 20 gauge to remove. It is a great multi-use platform.