The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2006, 10:09 PM   #1
gracieandjason

Help!

This might be a really dumb question, but I just tried shooting trap a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed it! I want to get a shotgun for home security, but since I enjoyed shooting trap I will want to do it occasionally for practice. I am wanting to get a Mossberg or some shotgun with a short (16" or 18") barrell. Could I shoot trap with this?
Old January 13, 2006, 10:50 PM   #2
InSoMNiaX23

I have seen numerous people at my range shoot trap with a shotgun set up for HD, including a guy with pistol grip and rifle sights. They all seemed to do fine, but the people that take it seriously use much longer barrels and tight chokes. An 18" barrel will more than likely be fixed cylinder or improved cylinder at the tightest and I think that your effective range would be the main disadvantage aside from the shorter sight plane. I am pretty sure that Mossberg sells their 500 as a combo where you get an 18" HD/28" vent rib barrel. The second barrel would make the gun a lot more versitile.
Old January 14, 2006, 03:46 AM   #3
warwagon

Mossy

Mosberg has many barrel legnths, and chokes available. All are easily changed. So ,you could have the 18" improved cyl for hd, and your choice for sport. The barrels are not expensive, some come with interchangeable chokes, and in the long run make one platform a very viable choice for several functions.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

Happy shooting,
Blair
Old January 14, 2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not ideal for trap, but workable for making fun and busting some clays. Have at it.

A second, longer barrel is a very good idea.....
Old January 14, 2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Many shotguns benefit from easily interchangeable barrels

Back when I was trying to make do with one shotgun, I bought a new Remington 1100 with a 26-inch improved cylinder barrel. With judicious shopping and a bit o' tinkering, I added a 20" cylinder bore barrel with rifle sights and a 28" trap barrel. I felt pretty well geared up for upland birds, waterfowling, close-up deer and hogs, and antipersonnel use.

The main consideration is that you enjoy your shooting sports.

Best,
Johnny