The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 14, 2016, 09:09 PM   #1
Model12Win

Navy Moll Pistol?

Hello everybody. I am looking to buy a new single shot pistol and the Pedersoli Navy Moll looks very nice:

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipo...navy-moll.html

It's a good looking pistol, .45 caliber with maple stock. There is not much I could find about this pistol though, so I have some questions about it.

1) Why is it called "Navy"? The "Moll" part refers to David Moll, the maker, but were these pistols used by the U.S. Navy?

2) Is this a military/defensive style pistol, or is it purely a dueling pistol?

3) The sights on this gun look kind of out of place and too tall. Would it be possible to cut down the rear sight and add a shorter front sight?

If anybody out there knows, please help. Thanks so much all!
Old April 16, 2016, 11:46 AM   #2
bedbugbilly

It's a nice looking pistol but it looks like a civilian style "Kentucky" to me? Or what is often referred to as a "Kentucky". Where the "Navy" comes in I have no clue and it would be interesting to have them expound on that a little more.

What price are these going for?

As far as the sights go . . . personally, I don't find them offensive if a person is going to be using this for target shooting. I would imagine the front and rear are in the standard "dove tail" so they could be switched out if a person wanted them to. Many originals did have much lower profile sights - both pistols and rifles. When I was building rifles many years ago, I usually made my own rear sighs as it is not that difficult but there plenty of origin style rear sights available through ML suppliers. Font sights are really not an issue - a good file will take care of that.

If you find out any more on this one, please post. From he photo, it looks like a fine fit and finish quality pistol.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 16, 2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Model12Win

It has a 3/8" dovetail front sight, not sure about the back.

So these are civilian dueling pistols? Interesting...
Old April 16, 2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Hawg

No such thing as a navy Moll. It looks kinda like a Kentucky with plains rifle style sights. It's not a copy of anything authentic. Nice looking gun tho. You might want to leave the sights as they are and only adjust to hit POA as necessary.
Old April 16, 2016, 03:30 PM   #5
DaleA

Rifled barrel or smoothbore?

According to the following article the English regarded rifled dueling pistols 'unsporting' while those on the European continent regarded the smoothbore dueling pistols as 'cowardly'.

Since there are two seemingly legitimate sides to the issue I'd, of course, take the rifled guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duelling_pistol

Okay, color me embarrassed-I went a little deeper into the link provided and the specs say the pistol has a 1:18 twist. Sorry.
Old April 16, 2016, 04:52 PM   #6
Hawg

It's rifled.
Old April 16, 2016, 11:48 PM   #7
Shotput79

I bought two of those pistols in .45 cal last year, one is used and looks like some body put it together from a kit. I need to do a little touch up on that one. Shoots good and the front sight sets low on that gun. The other I ordered it looks just like your pic, same sights same looking wood everything. It shoots good but I didn't want to mess with the front sight till I try a few more loads in it first. I like them. Nice pistols.
Old April 17, 2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Model12Win

Very cool. I think I might be picking one of these up soon, they just look so nice.

Unfortunately, there aren't many choices these days in single shot muzzleloading pistols. You have either Pedersoli, or the cheaply made Indian pistols which are of dubious safety and quality. I could go the custom route, but that is some serious, serious money for a shooter piece, which is what I want.
Old April 17, 2016, 03:39 PM   #9
Hawg

Have you checked the Pedersoli Le Page? http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipo...s-le-page.html
Old April 17, 2016, 09:35 PM   #10
Shotput79

I like Pedersoli guns. they're like all the others meaning some times you can run into a messed up built model. So far I been lucky and have got some fine pistols from them. I ordered a Harpers Ferry pistol in the flint lock .58 cal talk about a hoot. That gun is so much fun I can't put it down. The Pedersoli .45s are the same way. Once you get to shooting them they grow on you fast. I'm looking around for another single shot to add to the family.
Old April 17, 2016, 11:46 PM   #11
Model12Win

Quote:
Have you checked the Pedersoli Le Page? http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipo...s-le-page.html
Yes those look very nice but I really love the wood on the Navy Moll and the styling, and the price is more in line with where my budget it.
Old April 18, 2016, 08:09 PM   #12
Model12Win

Well guys, I just bought this gun from Dixie Gun Works.

Hopefully it will make a good shooter. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. With luck, a range report will be posted in a week or two. Thanks everyone for your help and support. I just knew I wanted this gun. Thanks!

M12
Old March 3, 2019, 03:01 PM   #13
zzyzzogeton

I realize that this thread is old, but the answer to the OP Question #1 was never answered.

While the Moll was never a US NAVY weapon, it was the pistol of record for the first Texas Navy from 1836 to mid-1837. The Molls in Texas Navy service were lost when 1 ship was sold for repairs, 2 were lost in battle with the Mexican Navy (1 destroyed, 1 captured) and 1 was lost in a storm. Any Molls in storage (if any) after the last ship's loss were either transferred to another service (Coast Guards, Rangers or Army).

When the second Texas Navy was formed in 1839, the Texas government purchased 180 Colt Patterson (mod 2) revolvers, along with a like number of shotguns and revolving rifles.
Old March 5, 2019, 09:21 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

Thanks for the history on it - interesting!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 7, 2019, 11:16 PM   #15
5whiskey

This is a sharp pistol. I think I’ll try to make one.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946