The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 27, 2013, 09:53 AM   #76
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As usual, there is no "One size fits all" in this sort of thing.
Old September 27, 2013, 04:27 PM   #77
dayman

When I'm rifle hunting I usually carry a .22 for small game - I imagine a .30-30 would make a mess of a grouse or squirrel.
If I needed a "finishing shot", and for some reason couldn't use my knife, a .22 would certainly be sufficient. I've never actually had to finish anything off whilst hunting, but I've slaughtered my share of pigs, and a knife seems to be the way to go.

When I'm bow hunting I'd kind of like to, but it's illegal.
Old September 30, 2013, 08:38 AM   #78
cerberus65

I always carry a revolver into the woods with me. It came in real handy back in May when we tracked a pig into some really dense brush.
Old September 30, 2013, 08:56 AM   #79
dalegribble

i'm not going to argue revolver or semi auto, stainless or blue, rimfire or centerfire. what i'm going to suggest is where to wear your holster. I prefer to wear something offside, something that won't rub against the sidearm.
Old November 27, 2013, 01:50 AM   #80
silvrjeepr

Carry a sidearm during a hunt?

Real world situation that happened last weekend. It's a 1 mile walk from one of my stands to my truck, and it gets pretty thick in places. We have a hog problem with coyotes becoming a problem.

While walking to the truck after a hunt, I have my flashlight in one hand with my rifle over my shoulder when I hear brushes move and a stick crack behind me. The scoped rifle isn't too handy at close range in total darkness so my free hand gravitates to my glock 20. I shine to my rear with no need to draw yet as I've seen nothing at this point.

Turns out that I walked past a bedded doe, but had it been a sow with attitude, I was ready. Had it been a lost hunter (no one in my area but stuff happens) I wasn't pointing a rifle all around. This is why I carry...
Old November 27, 2013, 05:30 PM   #81
mwal

Gp100 6 inch goes with whether I am deer hunting or bird hunting. You never know. There have been some dog taken out by wolves while grouse hunting in my area so i am prepared to defend the dog 20 ga or .357 their choice. When deer hunting just like to have it along for when an ideal pistol shot presents itself or while tracking in the thick stuff. Killed a six point with it a few years ago at about 7 yards glad I had it along. It was a little close for 3x scope and a 7mm-08. I also carry when out scouting or walking with the wife in the woods just like to be able to do it.

Mwal
Old November 27, 2013, 06:14 PM   #82
Rifleman1776

I used to.
When muzzle loading hunting, I carried a Ruger Old Army.
When modern rifle hunting, I carried either my Ruger Single Six or My Ruger Redhawk .44 mag.
Finally decided there was no point in carrying either and the weight was a nusiance.
Old November 29, 2013, 11:41 AM   #83
Buzzard Bait

22 pistol while deer hunting

In Texas 22 rimfire is not legal for deer for obvious reasons but what about carrying one and using it for a finishing off shot? Your hunting with your legal caliber rifle the 22 handgun is just a put it out of it's misery from two or three feet away type shot? Would a game warden consider this illegal?
bb
Old November 29, 2013, 02:13 PM   #84
Vermonter

Yes I do

I carry a Glock 29 Gen 4 and a spar mag on my off side. I also keep an extra mag in my fanny pack. VT changed the laws this year to allow us to carry a sidearm while bow hunting so I do that as well. The reasons I can see are the following. Self defense isn't the only reason to do so either. If you have ever dropped a gun and broke your scope you know your day could be over. Or you could simply sling the rifle and hunt with the handgun for the rest of the day.

YMMV, Vermonter
Old November 29, 2013, 07:33 PM   #85
JimDandy

As to the question if it's even legal, it depends on where, and when.

Some states somewhat default to conceal carry permits. Some states allow concealed carry during hunting. Some states prohibit carrying a firearm at all in non-firearm seasons (At least I remember reading that somewhere, but may have misread it. It wasn't one of "my states" so it didn't stick.
Old November 30, 2013, 06:27 PM   #86
L_Killkenny

Re: Carry a sidearm during a hunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard Bait View Post
In Texas 22 rimfire is not legal for deer for obvious reasons but what about carrying one and using it for a finishing off shot? Your hunting with your legal caliber rifle the 22 handgun is just a put it out of it's misery from two or three feet away type shot? Would a game warden consider this illegal?
bb
In Iowa they would. Big fine, loss of hunting rights, maybe lose your gun and/or truck.

Never fear, just use your knife.
Old November 30, 2013, 06:39 PM   #87
shortwave

^^^Same in Ohio.^^^
Old December 1, 2013, 09:21 AM   #88
treg

^^^Same in Michigan^^^

ETA:
Even using a knife to finish a deer is of questionable legality.

Last edited by treg; December 1, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old February 3, 2014, 08:00 PM   #89
Jaguar Golf

In NY not allowed to use a .22lr as a finishing shot. We have a fair number of black bear around here and those coywolves in droves. I always carry a pistol in the woods. mostly to protect my dog. If you're trying to control a dog it's difficult to use a rifle unless it's an AR type gun
Old February 3, 2014, 09:20 PM   #90
Chestnut Forge

I hunt deer in heavy black bear territory. In the regular rifle season, I just carry my rifle. But in the muzzle loader seasons I carry a side arm.
Old February 4, 2014, 10:01 AM   #91
Rifleman1776

I used to. I would carry my Ruger Old Army during muzzle loading season and my Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. during modern gun season. But gave them both up as pointless and unnecessary weight. But, I kept and wore one in camp after the hunt. Needed one once.....but that's another story.
Old February 4, 2014, 12:24 PM   #92
Madcap_Magician

I believe this is against the law in my state except when bow hunting for bear.
Old February 4, 2014, 01:16 PM   #93
shuswap

When hunting, I always carry a Ruger Alaskan 44 Mag. When turkey hunting in the spring, I carry a Thunder Five 45/410 loaded with 410 #8's to shoot snakes. I also carry the Thunder 5- 410 when fishing.
Old February 4, 2014, 06:07 PM   #94
Ambishot

I tend to carry a sidearm when hunting big game because in my part of the country it is common to see rattlesnakes during hunting season. Also, as many have replied already, it's a better option for a close up finishing shot; should that be necessary.

When I hunt waterfowl or birds, I don't carry a sidearm.
Old February 4, 2014, 08:58 PM   #95
locnload

As I carry a side arm just about every other day of my life, I see no reason to leave it behind when I'm hunting. State hunting laws say that it should be carried openly, however I corresponded with DOW Officials asking if a state CCW permit allowed me to carry concealed while hunting and was told that it did. I keep a copy of that correspondence with me while I'm hunting.
I am more concerned with the two legged varmints than snakes and such. The idea of being relieved of my rifle and truck keys at the trail head has been done before and I don't care to be caught flat footed there anymore than I do in the city.
Old February 4, 2014, 09:12 PM   #96
49willys

I ALWAYS carry when I am in the woods.Never know when you might stumble on a grow site.Then theres the black bears and the cougars.I do worry more about the people than the animals though.
Old February 4, 2014, 09:34 PM   #97
Deja vu

I agree. I am much more worried about the people than the animals and I live in one of the more wild (animal wise) states in the lower 48.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 5, 2014, 12:24 AM   #98
BigJerm79

Always have...

I'm from stupid CA, so I will carry WHENEVER this silly state will allow. Amazingly enough, it is STILL legal to open carry when going to, coming from, or in the act of fishing and/or hunting (with the exception on archery season). It used to be my Anaconda 6", but I carry a Redhawk 5.5" these days. If it was up to me I'd be carrying all day every day, but this is the only time I can and I FREAKING love it. Aside from the obvious defensive & utilitarian uses, it's liberating and is as close to the "good ol' days" as I'm going to get.

J
Old February 5, 2014, 01:29 AM   #99
Brotherbadger

Yup, as long as it is legal in the state i am hunting, i will carry a sidearm. It's more about economics. I'd rather waste a 45 or 9mm on a snake(hypothetically) than a 7mm RM.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old February 5, 2014, 07:34 AM   #100
Snyper

It's legal in NC to use any type of handgun to "finish off" wounded game as long as you wounded it with a legal weapon, other than a bow or muzzleloader

You cannot legally carry any type of firearms while bow huntng or hunting during BP season