The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2009, 03:06 AM   #101
Rocked

Yeah, spiders for me. There used to be a ton of banana spiders around my home which would creep me out. I got bit on the face a few years ago and my face swelled up pretty good for a few days. I couldnt open one eye. As long as I see the web Im fine, as long as they leave me alone Ill leave them be.

Ive never worried bout aliens out in the bush. Figured if they wanted people theres better places to find us. Unless we are talking about the Predator...
Old January 3, 2009, 02:01 PM   #102
Tucker 1371

Thankyou hogdogs

Hogdogs, you suck. Just the thought of running into that beast of a spider made me have a nervous twitch. Spiders suck, I actually love snakes though, Ive always wanted a pet boa. So yeah it's spiders for me, not much else though.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 3, 2009, 02:14 PM   #103
Playboypenguin

I do not see how you guys can all hate spiders. Spiders are beautiful and beneficial creatures. Millipedes are evil incarnate.
Old January 3, 2009, 02:45 PM   #104
jckeffer

Mice :-)

The mice story reminded me of a time back in 1970 when my buddy and I took our girlfriends hiking in Hard Scrabble Canyon, Utah. We hiked along the stream at the bottom of the canyon for about ½ an hour then stopped for a little picnic. The girls were setting out the spread when my girlfriend started to scream bloody murder. She was barely able to point at something inside her part leg about 2/3 up between her knee and ‘waist’. I didn’t know what else to do so I just grabbed whatever it was from the outside of the pant and tried to work it down. Eventually I got it down below her knee and then it suddenly dropped out – yes a mouse! Must have crawled up the fabric of her pants until it got tight and then turned and tried her leg, that’s when she finally felt it. Needless to say she was freaked and is terrified of mice to this day!

When we got back to her house and told the story her family thought it saw hilarious – her Mom said she would have shucked the pants in a heartbeat. I guess I should have dated her Mom
Old January 3, 2009, 02:53 PM   #105
akr

A naughty spider bit me on the back of the leg when I was in bed, and I still have the scar.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old January 3, 2009, 02:53 PM   #106
Playboypenguin

Mice??? Mice are cute and fuzzy.

I guess we recently had a mouse give birth in our garage because we had about two weeks of my cats bringing tiny little mice, just old enough to leave the nest, into the house from that garage. They would not even be injured. the cats would just pick them up and bring them inside. I would have to chase them down and catch them and release them outside.
Old January 4, 2009, 04:45 PM   #107
Wyattearp

The feeling. Times I've felt it:

Hunting deer in the sagebrush and scaring up a pheasant rooster.

Hearing my dad tell of a time he heard an elk bugle in in the quiet dark of an unfamiliar forest.

Thinking about a mountain lion scream while hiking.

Taking out the garbage to the burn pit behind our Idaho farm house...after seeing the documentary on Bigfoot. I took to carrying the 30-30 with me.

Then one night camping with my 10-year old I asked him "you don't suppose there are still mountain lions around here, do you?" Seeing his eyes grow wide...priceless.

It isn't the wilderness unless you're no longer the top of the food chain.
Old January 4, 2009, 05:16 PM   #108
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Taking out the garbage to the burn pit behind our Idaho farm house...after seeing the documentary on Bigfoot.
It is funny you say that. I was raised in an area of WV that had multiple bigfoot sighting and our own local monster (Mothman). After watching The Legend of Bogey Creek" on VHS as a teen I remember being very freaked out on the 6 mile walk through the country to get back home. I had made that walk a dozen times with nothing but moonlight to guide me down unlit, gravel and dirt roads but this time I was very aware of every sound and movement. It did not help that I had to walk by the old TNT plant (by the fairgrounds) that was supposedly the home of the Mothman.

I would have loved to have a rifle with me that night...I did usually take my .22mag revolver with me in the woods at that age. Especially if I was just walking up to a friends and then home. I did not think it would fair to well against a bigfoot.

Last edited by Playboypenguin; January 4, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old January 6, 2009, 06:06 PM   #109
shortwave

'Bigfoot' for me also. My brother enjoys calling me up before deer bow season and spring turkey season to remind me one of the latest sightings and taped vocalization in Ohio happens to be about a 1/4 mile from my house(via a bigfoot website he gets on). He also reminds me that since I live in the middle of same woods I should wonder what is watching me when I`m traveling to and from stand in darkness.
Old January 6, 2009, 06:34 PM   #110
teeroux

I once thought about renting a bigfoot suit and doin the ape walk in front of a friends game camera at night! Still havent got around to doin it.
Old January 6, 2009, 06:49 PM   #111
Playboypenguin

Quote:
I once thought about renting a bigfoot suit and doin the ape walk in front of a friends game camera at night! Still havent got around to doin it.
You might also end up walking in front of someone else's gunsights.
Old January 6, 2009, 06:55 PM   #112
akr

Yeah, if some think a hunter wearing bright orange is a deer, no telling what they will think a guy in a bigfoot suit is.lol

NRA Lifetime Member
Old January 6, 2009, 07:03 PM   #113
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

From young ages my momma and her siblings as well as cousins would go to "spook hill" and just do things to passing cars...
As they aged as adults they all got the itch to relive their youth... My dad bought a bunch of "feaux fur" coats from goodwill and sewed them up into a full suit for the LARGEST of her brothers... He is a big tall feller and his knuckles already drag the ground when he walks...
Well I think one motorist about wrecked so they decided "Spook Hill" was best left to the next generations...
Brent
Old January 6, 2009, 07:08 PM   #114
Playboypenguin

My father did a similar thing in his youth. Him and friend rigged up and outfit to look like the mothman and went out to scare people in the TNT area of Pt. Pleasant, WV. It was all great fun until they got shot at by a local sheriffs deputy and then arrested.
Old January 6, 2009, 08:23 PM   #115
rem870hunter

sitting in a treestand in the pitch black dark, and i started hearing twigs snapping like something is walking towards me. the hairs on my neck stood up. i turn my flashlight on shone it around slowly and saw nothing but trees. i wait a minute or 2 before trying to climb down and i heard it again,turn my light on again and look around, still nothing. i almost slept in that tree that night. i didn't have my shotgun or m/l that time i had my bow. whatever it was theres no way it was a squirrel, i hunted from that stand for another 2 seasons and never heard it again. now i don't stay out after dark unless i got one of my guns. and the funny part is i want to hunt coyote and fox at night .
Old January 7, 2009, 11:12 AM   #116
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

By the time I joined the Boy Sprouts--still too young to go scouting girls--I'd already had some years of running the brush. .22 rifle, trap line, bows&arrows, all that Injun stuff.

One night at Scout Camp, we were sitting around a campfire, and folks got started telling snake stories. Now, y'all know I wouldn't get heavy into embroidering rattleworm stories, right? Nothing but the truth! Some of the townies were getting really twitchy. Seriously nervous.

"Penny box of matches": Small box, wooden matches. If you just happen to have one, and it's about 1/4 or 1/3 full, you can rattle it behind Young Mr. Twitchy and become a strong believer in Levitation.
Old January 7, 2009, 01:52 PM   #117
SavageSniper

It amazes my ho many here, myself included, have mentioned bigfoot. I am sure that most of us do not actually believe it is real. Maybe we want it to be real or is it something that is in our Psyche. I have had dreams of it since I can remember.
Here is a story that did not scare me until 20 years later. I was hunting for what ever jump up one evening. It was late, almost dark. The woods across from our farm was mostly pines, but had a large oak bottom which is were I was at. I heard this loud noise that could only be described as a shrill like howl. Heard it 4 times. As a teenager at the time I had seen and heard everything that is in our area but this was new. It was not a bird, yote, cow or human. Kinda freaked me out but did not scare me. Since it was so late I could not go check it out. Fastfoward about 20 years and I am on the net looking at things I should not be looking at, like bigfoot sites. I play this audio file of what is supposed to be a bigfoot howl and every hair on my body stood up. I immediately remembered the time hunting- IT SOUNDED THE SAME!! Scared the fool out of me.
Old January 7, 2009, 02:02 PM   #118
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

SS, Look up, on u-tube, red fox howl and you will likely hear your bigfoot again More than one grown man has nearly lost control of the waste evacuating muscles at the sound of a fox scream!
Brent
Old January 7, 2009, 02:07 PM   #119
FrontSight

Hahahahha, you guys are funny, spooked by this, scared by that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, it's just funny to me that grown men, with guns, would get by the heebie-jeebies.

Spiders and snakes & bears & falling, etc, of course, those are all real dangers and I understand the caution with those, but big foot and mothman & ghosts just make me chuckle all over

Please keep them coming tho, I love the stories & you guys describe them well, makes me feel like I was there...
Old January 7, 2009, 03:13 PM   #120
teeroux

Quote:
You might also end up walking in front of someone else's gunsights.
Well i would dress up on sight behind the camera with a flashlight and turn it out just to walk in front of it. lol

Not walk or ride through the wood dressed like bigfoot i have some sense.
Old January 7, 2009, 09:35 PM   #121
zahnzieh

Gee. I need all you guys addresses - just finished my Mothman costume. Anybody remember that horrible film with Richard Gere about Mothman? To this day when my wife and i travel at night and a moth splats on the windshield we yell "OOOH NOOO, WE KILLED MOTHMAN!!!!"
Old January 29, 2009, 05:42 PM   #122
Major Dave (retired)

Thundering herd of ???, in the dark.

Oh dark thirty, I parked a mile from where I intended to deer hunt, alone, and began to walk that way under a moonless, starless night. Heavy overcast sky, no sky glow from nearby citiy. While crossing an open field of considerable size, a thundering herd of ??? suddenly surrounded me. The noise was deafening, and since I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face, I had no idea which way to duck/dodge, or otherwise scramble out of their way. No trees, bushes to hide behind. Semi-arid area, so not even tall grass to hide in. Just me in the wide open, totally blind, surrounded by a thundering herd, with no prior warning.

All I could do was crouch down and make myself as small as possible, hoping that they wouldn't stomp me into the ground.

The area held elk, whitetail deer, and possibly buffalo (American Bison). Maybe cows?

Still don't know what they were. Didn't get stomped, and all was quiet after about 10 or 15 seconds. A LONG 10 or 15 seconds!!

Got a 175 (gross) B&C buck at first light.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); January 29, 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Add'l info
Old January 29, 2009, 06:37 PM   #123
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

retired, I woulda sheeerappped my britches... Great moment to reflect on ones exact rung of the food chain ladder!
Brent
Old February 5, 2009, 04:55 PM   #124
snevensmores

When I was 17, I wanted to prove to my friends that I was a "man." I set out alone at midnight on a cold November night. I planned to hike along side the road in the pitch black ~3.5 miles to my grandma's old abandoned house, camp out for a couple hours, and head back under the blanket of night.

I was walking down a deep, pitch black dip as the road cut between the woods and a dry, thick cornfield. I had heard a few deer grunts, but it was now eerily silent and pitch black.

About the time I thought that I was truly alone out there, a deer hit that dry cornfield going full tilt. I about left some "tracks" of my own on the side of that dark country road.

To top things off, upon arriving at my grandma's house, a stray pit bull came charging at me from out of nowhere and scared the bejesus out of me again. Luckily, he just wanted to be friends.

Moral of the story -- don't challenge yourself to stupid "adventures," and always pack extra underwear.

GO CARDS!
Old February 13, 2009, 11:17 AM   #125
eaglesnester

woods freak out

Goin in the thick devils club after a wounded grizz. Nothing like it, I guarantee the old pucker factor will notch up about 10 points.