The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2018, 09:13 PM   #1
tahunua001

polymaxx vs hi-tek vs powdercoat

hello all,
I am starting to build up my ammo stores again, and was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages were of the different "cheap jacket ammo" that's out there.
Old August 17, 2018, 12:05 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

None of those bullets are jacketed at all. Cheap or otherwise.
Powder coating is paint.
Polymaxx and Hi-tek bullets aren't jacketed either. They're coated with a polymer.
Which one you use makes no difference except for the max velocities you can go to.
Read this.
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...r-handloaders/
Old August 17, 2018, 01:33 PM   #3
condor bravo

The various coatings are with cast bullets and some are quite colorful. The last Hi-Teks I received were bright red, some previous ones having been gold colored. Maybe you are asking if coated were superior to cheap jacketed bullets. Would depend on their intended use and whether for rifle or handgun.
Old August 21, 2018, 10:22 PM   #4
tahunua001

for my purposes they would be pistol calibers fired from either handguns or carbines.

mostly it would just be plinking, but depending on accuracy, weight retention and expansion wouldn't mind for medium game hunting.

I suppose more pointed questions would get better results. between the three (at velocities below 1600FPS):
1. does any one of them prevent lead fowling better than the others?
2. does any one of them leave garbage behind in your barrel?
3. do any of them affect weight retention/expansion beyond what is already affected by alloy composition and bullet construction?

to T.O'Heir- I'm well aware that it's not a Jacket, that's why there's quotations around "cheap jacket". that's why I'm asking about these three specifically, and not about jacket thickness, bullet construction, and bonding processes.
Old August 22, 2018, 12:24 AM   #5
condor bravo

The main advantage to me for the coatings is the considerable reduction in smoking compared to standard bullet lubes, which is a consideration when firing indoors. Can't say between hi-Tek and black moly which is the better for all around purposes but moly can require more intensive cleaning, especially in rifles however. Try the hi-teks from Missouri Bullets.
Old August 23, 2018, 08:19 PM   #6
MisterAllen

I have been running the Hi-tec and no leading issues. I have ran rounds up to 1500 FPS. BRN 18. Very happy with them so far.