The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 4, 2005, 07:01 AM   #26
Windjammer

Togliat,

Any of the major manufactures ( Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Savage, Mossberg etc.) make excellent bolt action rifles. Today's production rifles meet or exceed in accuracy that we worked for 30 years ago.

One thing you might want to think about, as I mention earlier my kids use a single shot Handi-Rifle ( in the youth model) from England Firearms. This is a sweet little rifle, the total length is 38" long ( 22" barrel) and about 7 pounds, it handles very nice. I bought this gun for $189.00 ( includes scope mounting bracket) new and had a gunsmith do a trigger job ( $35.00), the trigger pull now has a very nice crisp break and a consistence 4 lb. pull. With the off the shelve Winchester 100 gr. Power Points, my 12 year old daughter can consistency shoot 1" - 1 1/4" group at 100 yards. The other neat thing is you can buy different barrels ( range from $89 - $110) and switch as your hunting needs change. If your interested check out www.HR1871.com

It makes a Dad proud when my 12 year old, has the confidence to deer hunt with a single shot rifle.

Also Ruger makes a very fine single shot rifle the Ruger # 1 - excellent rifle but in the $ 500 - $600 range
Old October 4, 2005, 02:07 PM   #27
Foxman

I love Ruger#1 s what a nice rifle. I know it is very nice to have your Son and or Daughter shoot well makes you proud and feel that you have taught the well. Both mine shoot and take a delight in wupping the old man, but not always.
Old October 4, 2005, 02:43 PM   #28
Windjammer

Foxman,

Here is picture to make a Dad proud , her first buck. I do not know who was smiling more.

[IMG]dsc00601-smaller.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00601-Smaller.jpg (93.3 KB, 62 views)
Old October 4, 2005, 03:33 PM   #29
VirgilCaine

My wife uses a Remmy 788 in .243. She kills whitetails every year. Most shots are 70-100yds. The deer don't always drop and pile up, but they don't go very far. She uses 100gr Nosler Partions loaded by a local gunshop.

I can hear her voice on the radio now, "Honey, I got one!"

Good Luck, Happy Hunting!!
Old October 4, 2005, 05:27 PM   #30
Harley Quinn

788 used, is the way to go.

Yep. I liked um when I had um. I have others now and I am slowly selling off the bolts.

Harley
Old October 4, 2005, 05:30 PM   #31
dale taylor

Listen to Wildalaska. My 6.5x55 swedish mauser is light to carry and has little recoil. Have taken mutiple deer and hogs as have my sons. Mostly it rides in jeep until we hit the edge of swamp. My 6.5x55 project was fun and not expensive, thanks to parts from Midway. [email protected]
Old October 4, 2005, 09:09 PM   #32
shureshot0471

my fav. is the .243 win I own a number of small calber guns but when the deer hunting gets sticky guess what I pick up they are good in the thick timber to the flat plains and the cool thing about them is you can hunt everything from a Mulie Or white tail down to a parie dog I belive that a .243 win is all around a good gun and have shot anmnials up as close as 30 yrds and put them down I belive that any body can screw up and have a anmnial run-off with any calber gun everybody has had it happen before but I trust myself and my handy .243 win but the key is awalys the shooter the bullet will go where that bore points and if useing a scope if not experinced in sighting in have somebody that is help you this will help a lot. I have awalys used a 100 grn. Remmington Core Lokt Bullet for the larger game that is under 250 yrds and the larger over that the same bullet only in an 85 grn. for varments I have started useing the Winchester Silver Ballistic Tip in a 55 grn Have fount that this is the fastest bullet for the .243 win and is very effictive on the smaller game
Old October 14, 2005, 02:55 PM   #33
JKump

I hunt down here in middle Georgia, and I use a NEF Handi Rifle Ultra light .243. Last year, killed 5 deer (5 point buck and 4 does) all shot under 110 yards. I use Hornady 100 gr. light mags, they get the job done. Just put the shot on the shoulder or just behind, the deer will be in the freezer. I think you can't go wrong with the .243. Good luck and good hunting

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old October 14, 2005, 03:33 PM   #34
Ultima-Ratio

The .243 An Alaskan Legend!

Greetings all, it's freaking unbelieveable how so many non hunters can give biased and useless opinions online.
Here's the no BS answer, shot placement is everything period. The .243 Winchester is the caliber of choice of the Alaska State Outfitter Champion for ALL Alaska Game!
Old October 14, 2005, 05:03 PM   #35
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ultima-Ratio, are you telling us you're a non-hunter? I was wondering, because your comment, "The .243 Winchester is the caliber of choice of the Alaska State Outfitter Champion for ALL Alaska Game!" is in conflict with EVERY Alaskan who's ever spoken about hunting in Alaska...

, Art
Old October 14, 2005, 06:23 PM   #36
MeekAndMild

Er, I do believe that Savage may make the best .243 rifle. But that is just my own prejudice because mine shoots really really well.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old October 14, 2005, 07:26 PM   #37
BUSTER51

for what it's worth a .243 will take deer ,however if all you will own is one rifle just buy a .308 and you should be set for most anything .plentiful,cheap ammo in just about any bullet weight for any purpuse.my 12 year old daughter has taken deer with my remington BDL (CIRCA 1975) with a leopould vari x 3 3-9x40 , Hornady 165 light mag load with no black and blue marks and she only weigs 102 lbs .
Old October 19, 2005, 02:42 PM   #38
TheOpticZone

I have a Browning A-bolt Hunter in .270 and a Stainless Steel Stalker in .243. It seems that I alway grab the .243 when I go deer hunting. I have never lost a deer and have shot deer out to 350 yards. I reload all my own sells and I shoot 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.
[email protected]