The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 19, 2016, 02:57 PM   #26
T_PRO_Z

I detail strip everything after shooting to keep things running smooth. the cleaner it is the better. I love cleaning guns so it is not a big deal to me, but I take 3-10 guns out when I go shooting and then I bring them in and clean everything down to the pins that hold everything together. the more grit you have in your gun, the more wear it will suffer from, although it may be minor. but all that minor wear builds up.

I also clean my carry every time it is shot, and if I don't shoot it for a while, I clean it every month or two regardless.
Old September 19, 2016, 08:23 PM   #27
Gunslick

I'm like you TPro. I also rebuild my mowers and vehicles when ever something is needed. I'm a carpenter but also a mechanic/gun Smith. Always have been. Built guns and engines with dad since 5 and I am now 29 and I really enjoy it.
Old September 19, 2016, 09:25 PM   #28
TunnelRat

Quote:
the more grit you have in your gun, the more wear it will suffer from, although it may be minor. but all that minor wear builds up.
While I hear you, it's not really grit. It's usually carbon build up and that doesn't really wear parts out. It's good to clean before it really hardens as it makes it more of a pain to clean, but I've gone a thousand plus rounds on an AR and there wasn't any additional wear from it. Keep in mind too that the hardness of the steel parts in the pistol is greater than that of the carbon buildup. Now if you start burying it in the sand we have a different story.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 19, 2016, 10:09 PM   #29
Gunslick

**wanted to ask**

So I've been running my Wilson BP extractor and it has been running great but the beveled edge was touching the case head pushing the round outward although it ran I just got done following strict instructions via interweb and stoned that edge and polished it so now the beveled edge does not touch the case now just the hook grabs perfectly and the case sits closer to the breech face. I cycled 100 live rounds through the pistol by hand in my back yard all cycled perfectly AND the last ROUND WITHOUT THE MAG IN PLACE EJECTS INSTEAD OF GETTING HUNG UP WITH LESS FORCE WHEN PULLING BACK ON SLIDE. Did I do this correctly from the sound of it? I am confident as heck in my work. Just checking with all who are more experienced than I. Thanks in advance.
Old September 20, 2016, 05:17 AM   #30
Kilibreaux

A "detail strip" of a 1911 is like so NEVER needed!

WHY exactly do you think you need to remove all the frame parts?

The FACT IS, one really doesn't need to do much more than a wipedown for 1,000 rounds through the UPPER! The barrel requires nothing but a quite swab, some wiping down and that's IT!

But hey, if taking your gun apart to it's smallest component makes you feel whole, then go for it!
Old September 20, 2016, 09:53 PM   #31
Gunslick

Well I use EWL EWG on the sear and hammer hooks and slide rails. So since I shoot so much I am trying to come up with a good schedual on when to re-grease those parts. How about every 2500 rounds, when I replace the recoil spring.
Old September 21, 2016, 08:10 PM   #32
Rinspeed

Quote:
I detail strip everything after shooting to keep things running smooth. the cleaner it is the better. I love cleaning guns so it is not a big deal to me, but I take 3-10 guns out when I go shooting and then I bring them in and clean everything down to the pins that hold everything together. the more grit you have in your gun, the more wear it will suffer from, although it may be minor. but all that minor wear builds up.

In my opinion you cause more wear from taking it apart than a little dust is going to cause.
Old September 21, 2016, 09:14 PM   #33
Gunslick

SORRY TO RE-POST THIS.

So I've been running my Wilson BP extractor and it has been running great but the beveled edge was touching the case head pushing the round outward although it ran I just got done following strict instructions via interweb and stoned that edge and polished it so now the beveled edge does not touch the case now just the hook grabs perfectly and the case sits closer to the breech face. I cycled 100 live rounds through the pistol by hand in my back yard all cycled perfectly AND the last ROUND WITHOUT THE MAG IN PLACE EJECTS INSTEAD OF GETTING HUNG UP WITH LESS FORCE WHEN PULLING BACK ON SLIDE. Did I do this correctly from the sound of it? I am confident as heck in my work. Just checking with all who are more experienced than I. Thanks in advance.

Any advice?
Old September 22, 2016, 03:37 AM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

sounds like you fixed the issue.

Congrats!
Old September 24, 2016, 12:03 PM   #35
45Gunner

I think detail stripping is a matter of performance first and preference second. How often do you shoot? If you go to the range and shoot between 50 and 150 rounds, there is no need to detail strip your gun every 1000 rounds. I personally would not let it go without detail stripping every 5000 rounds.

Some of my 1911's get heavy usage. I use them for training and it is not uncommon for me to shoot 5000 to 6000 rounds per month out of each gun. I like to detail strip my guns every third or fourth time I use it so it does work out to be just about 5000 rounds. At this time I usually change the recoil and firing pin springs.
NRA Life Member