The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 5, 2017, 01:00 PM   #1
dreaming

Missouri Concealed Carry

Is it correct that in Missouri a permit isn't needed to conceal carry, but if you are in a city that by ordinance forbids open carry you may only open carry if you have a LTC? In other words, you may still carry concealed but may not open carry without a permit.

For example, take Kansas City, MO.
Old October 5, 2017, 01:04 PM   #2
OldMarksman
Staff

True
Old October 5, 2017, 02:56 PM   #3
dreaming

Thanks. I was just there for a while and when I got back I wasn't sure if I was legal while in KC MO. I had been carrying concealed in KC KS but frequently crossed into MO.
Old October 7, 2017, 08:37 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

As I understand it (I live in Missouri), if there is a city ordinance that forbids open carry then you are not even permitted to carry concealed without a CCW permit. The CCW permit overrides the city ordinance. Other than that, you are now able to carry concealed without a permit anywhere you are legally able to open carry.
Old October 9, 2017, 01:25 AM   #5
SonOfScubaDiver

So, in MO it works on a preeminence type of structure? State law overrides city laws when it comes to carrying weapons.
Old October 9, 2017, 10:42 AM   #6
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
As I understand it (I live in Missouri), if there is a city ordinance that forbids open carry then you are not even permitted to carry concealed without a CCW permit.
No longer true.
Old October 10, 2017, 12:08 PM   #7
dreaming

This article in thetruthaboutguns.com says that you cannot constitutional carry in a city banning open carry:
Quote:
Putting it as simple as possible, the new law made it legal to carry concealed where it was already legal to carry openly. There are two problems with this.
1) There are provisions in Missouri’s law that allow cities to pass local ordinances banning the open carrying of firearms (Branson is one of those cities). The way around those ordinances was to get a CCW permit. The new constitutional carry law did not address those ordinances, which means if you do not have a CCW permit, you are not legally allowed to carry a firearm open or concealed in those cities.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...nal-carry-law/

Also, see A few things to know about ‘constitutional carry’ in Missouri.
Quote:
Local municipalities have the authority to ban “permit-less” carry within their jurisdiction as well so you may need to check with local authorities so you don’t violate an ordinance without realizing it.
Old October 11, 2017, 01:35 PM   #8
Joe_Pike

Quote:
No longer true.
Since when?
Old October 12, 2017, 03:40 AM   #9
dreaming

A different article indicates that a local ordinance banning open carry allows concealed carry.

Quote:
The oddity, said NRA lobbyist Whitney O’Daniel, of Carbondale, Ill., is that people will be able to carry concealed weapons in St. Louis and other places that limit open carry. A pistol in your pocket, yes, but not in an Old West holster on your hip.