The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 5, 2017, 01:42 AM   #1
tacstar

Vertical Foregrip vs. Handstop

I was interested in adding either a vertical foregrip or a handstop to my rail.

I am trying to decide between B5 System's handstop or Magpul's RVG vertical foregrip.

The handstops are more compact but it is my understanding that their primary use stabilize rifles against barriers in tactical situations. Although not as compact vertical foregrips offer the operator the ability to maintain greater control over the weapon.

What are your personal experiences with these devices? What are their pros & cons?
Old December 5, 2017, 06:16 AM   #2
G.barnes

I prefer the handstop. I've tried and tried to like vfg's but I can't. I prefer holding the rail and using the handstop to keep the rifle tight
Old December 5, 2017, 09:52 AM   #3
cmdc

I have both. I prefer the RVG. When my had gets sweaty it slips off of the angled hand stop. I use the RVG like a hand stop, so for me it's the best of both worlds.
Old December 5, 2017, 03:23 PM   #4
TrueBlue711

Definitely a personal preference. I had the same delima for the longest time. If able, try both out. My local gun store are good on returns as long as there was no scratches/damage or anything. So I bought one of each, attached them on my rifle I was trying to decide on, then kept the winner and returned the other.
Ultimately, I chose both haha I have some of my rifles with a handstop and other with VGs. I also tried angled grips...not a fan.
Old December 5, 2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Charlie98

I tried to use a VFG and failed... I just don't articulate that way. Best use I found was, like some of the other posters said, to jam my hand into it and use it that way. In the end, however, I just took it off and we roll old school...

Friend of mine has a Magpul AFG, I can see where it has it's merits, but I don't see where it would be any better than just gripping the stock forearm.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 5, 2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

Some thoughts on the subject from 7 years ago:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=406785

My current thinking is to use a C-clamp grip with a handstop instead of the AFG. It solves the same wrist support issue and is less obtrusive than an AFG. Pretty much everyone ends up using stubby vertical grips as oversized handstops anyway, so might as well cut to the chase. However, all the basic principles mentioned in the old post still apply (weight rolling around on top, angle of wrist/weight supported by tiny muscles, etc.)
Old December 5, 2017, 05:18 PM   #7
cmdc

What Barthamew said.
Old December 5, 2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Charlie98

Interesting (link to older post.) That sort of mimics my experience when I tried to use the VFG. I wound up with a Tapco stubby as far forward as I could get it, and just jammed my hand into it with my thumb forward. I may have to revisit it and try some drills with it to see which I like better.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 7, 2017, 12:20 PM   #9
odugrad

I second what Bartholomew said.

I use a BCM short vertical grip like a handstop. Works great.
Old December 10, 2017, 10:03 AM   #10
Nathan

IMO, the vfg is a failed concept because of how it jacks with the balance. If you use the short vfg grip where you grab the hand guard with 2 fingers and grip with 2 fingers, it works, but a handstop or angled fore grip would work better.

Moving towards hand stop myself, but I have other issues.

Nothing or grip panels is a great option too.