The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2014, 06:14 PM   #1
phonconn

What are the primer differences between Lelier & Bellot and others??

I recently was talked into (or talked myself into) buying a 5000 lot of small pistol primers by Lelier & Bellot made in Czech Republic. The man at the gun show I attended said he had used these often and loved them with no problems. Most of the recipes I see for the pistol loads I want to load call for WSP or CCI SP or Rem SP primers and wonder is there a measurable difference in these primers where I can cross use these L&B primers instead of the WSP or RSP or CCISP primers and if not what is a rule of thumb for the differences in primers. Is there a table of pressures between the primer manufacturers. I load 9mm and 38 Spec as well as 380 and would like to begin to use these primers as 5000 is a long supply for me. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice. Freeman Dan
Old February 25, 2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Pongo

Sellier and Bellot primers are okay. I've used them in the past and had no concerns.
Start at the low end and work your loads up.
Old February 25, 2014, 11:42 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

You can probably use the primers in your existing loads without an issue. Just be sure to at least try some pressure-testing loads, starting low and working back up to what you already have established.

I use small pistol and small rifle Sellier & Bellot primers in .327 Federal, .380 Auto, and 9mm Luger (and I'll try the SR in .223 Rem soon). ...I haven't had a problem.
Old February 28, 2014, 08:20 AM   #4
kerreckt

I use S&B primers interchangeably with both Winchester and CCI primers. As long as they are all standard (not magnum) primers I don't worry about it. I have never had any negative results. These have all been low mid to mid range loads. When I change primers on max loads, I always work it up incrementally. I am not recommending that anyone else do it this way. Just the way I do it. Best wishes...