The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 22, 2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Nakanokalronin

So I bought a Bersa Thunder 380....

The third gun I ever purchased was a 2-tone Bersa Thunder 380. It was 100% reliable and I remember the gun store clerk telling me "You get what you pay for." when I asked him about the quality. Well what I paid for was a great shooting gun that went bag every time I pulled the trigger weather shooting ball or HP ammo. IMO, I got more gun than what I paid for.

While checking out the used section at my LGS, I spotted this all black Bersa Thunder 380 sitting in the case. As I looked it over inside and out, I noticed that it looked completely unfired. Then there was the fact that a second factory Bersa mag was attached to it with a rubber band. They wanted $225 before tax and I asked them whats the best they could do on it. They came back with a price of $200 before tax so of course I said I'd take it right there.

The factory mags alone aren't cheap so if I take the price off for the second mag, I got the gun itself for a screaming deal. I have smaller 380s like my P238 and BG380 but there's something about a slightly larger .380 that is just fun to take to the range. I did notice that it fits like a glove in my leather IWB holsters I have for 1911 Officer models so I may even carry it once in awhile just for the heck of it....safety off of course. In any case, this is not so much a review since these have been around for awhile, but I thought I'd share my newest acquisition. Range time will be no sooner than Sunday since I'm making a trip over to Wisconsin today to see some old friends. I'll update then for those that are interested.

Old September 22, 2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Stressfire

They are good little guns, and highly under-rated

You do, indeed, get what you pay for and they are a great bargain with a minimum of compromises material-wise.

I went with the 380 CC myself - a bit shorter on the front end, with no beavertail and a rounded grip - has performed phenomenally.

You won't be disappointed
Old September 22, 2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Nakanokalronin

Thanks for the reply! I have no doubt it'll be a great performer since I owned one before that was flawless. I defiantly like the size of it over the Walther PPK since I have larger type hands and the aluminum frame makes it lighter which is nice for carry.
Old September 22, 2012, 11:47 AM   #4
jmortimer

I really liked mine, and the first thing I did was buy two factory mags from the authorized vendor, "Condor?" or whatever.
Old September 22, 2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Skadoosh

The two I purchased were great shooters...right up until they both broke. Pot metal parts.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:21 PM   #6
AdamSean

The one I used to own shot better than my girlfriend's Beretta 85 Cheetah. The only reason I got rid of it was that I could have a 9mm in the same size package. So now 9mm is the smallest caliber I will carry in an auto-loader.

But if you like the .380, I was getting combat accurate hits easily with the Bersa.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:27 PM   #7
qwiksdraw

My BT380 is my carry gun. Accurate, reliable and fun to shoot. I got a BT22 also!
Old September 22, 2012, 08:26 PM   #8
BGutzman

Dont buy the Mag Pro mags for this... I did and it was a total loss.. Great gun but use the OEM
Old September 22, 2012, 08:29 PM   #9
BurgerBoy

I carry a Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro and I have never had a failure of any kind with it. The Bersa Thunder series are great guns.
Self Defense Stories
Old September 22, 2012, 09:21 PM   #10
franco45

I've had several Thunder 380s including a CC model. I also had a Thunder 22. Sorry I got rid of that one. The only one I have left is a Deluxe with the deep blue finish. I put wood grips on it and use the 7 round mags. None of the Bersas I have owned had problems.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:37 PM   #11
JasonJ

bersa

in the case of the Bersa line of pistols, you typically get more than what you pay for. As was mentioned, underrated for sure.

Youre going to love the BT380, its a good shooting gun.

as to the poster that had 2 of them fail... that is incredibly strange. I have to ask what specifically happened to the pistols? I wasnt aware of any "pot metal" such as Zamak3, or other zinc based pressed powdered metals used on the BT380.. both slide and frame are steel.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:42 PM   #12
KyJim

I own one and have carried it. I think they are good guns for what they are -- carry a lot, shoot in moderate amounts. If you want 50,000 rounds get another type of pistol.
Old September 23, 2012, 02:22 AM   #13
Nakanokalronin

Thanks for all of the replies! I've had a BT380 2-tone before which was my 3rd gun I ever owned. I'm past owning 80+ handguns now and I couldn't pass the deal on the BT380 in the picture since getting rid of mine long ago. It will mainly be a fun range gun but I'll carry it once in awhile for nostalgic sake.

I defiantly know of the Promags and their spotty reputation, which is why I'm so glad this came with a factory extra. I may pick up 2 more factory mags down the line ,but I'm in no rush.

Looks like range day will be sometime during the week and I'll see if it's as flawless as my original.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; September 23, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:23 AM   #14
TJx

I bought the same thing last weekend at a gun show that was a NRA & SHOT Show display model that had a few handling marks for $225 OTD.
When I got home I discovered three 1911 extractors loose in the box and a small envelope with an extra firing pin and spring + FP safety and spring for the Bersa.
You're guess is as good as mine on how the 1911 extractors ended up in the box.
So far I've put 125 rounds of S&B and RWS through it without failure, it's quite accurate, fits my hand well & is very comfortable and fun to shoot.
I have been very pleased. It's a keeper.
Old September 23, 2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Nakanokalronin

TJx, they were probably just threw them in there from displays. I'd see that as a bonus since I have quite a few 1911s and extra extractors are always nice to have.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; September 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old September 23, 2012, 12:50 PM   #16
KyJim

Quote:
I'm past owning 80+ handguns now . . .
Does that mean you currently own more than 80 or that you've gotten past owning that many and have trimmed your collection? I think I know the answer.
Old September 23, 2012, 03:06 PM   #17
chaim

Nice pick up. I know you know the virtues of the Bersa having had one before, but I guess I have to put in my $0.02 as well.

Bersa makes a terrific, functional gun. They are quite a bargain for self defense weapons.

I had a Bersa Thunder .380 for a few years, and it was a good gun. I shot quite a few rounds though it without issue. I would trust the gun with my life. So, why did I sell it? I don't really trust the caliber that much, and I've decided to relegate .380 pistols to pocket guns. I have a Ruger LCP and think the caliber is better suited to small pocket guns since I can get 9mm and .40S&W pistols that conceal as well as the Bersa Thunder. At this point, the only larger .380 I'd likely buy would be a nickel Beretta 84 or 85 because they just may be the best looking pistols made.
Old September 23, 2012, 03:32 PM   #18
Sparks1957

I'm more a fan of the guns chambered in .380 than I am of the round itself. That said, a good hot .380 load with proper placement is probably adequate for most self-defense use, in my book.

Since I got my Kel-Tec P-11, I prefer carrying the 9mm round, but still consider my Bersa .380 a perfectly nice little carry gun.

I actually prefer shooting my Bersa to my CZ 83, it seems to manage the recoil a bit better and is more comfortable to shoot.

Bersa makes some pretty decent guns for the money, and their lifetime warranty is reassuring. I have 4 Bersas, and though they aren't the quality of a Sig or a CZ, they're rugged and reliable.
Old September 23, 2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Coltman 77

Sorry for your problems Nakanokalronin.

With so many small, quality 9mm pistols on the market I'm not following your logic with saving a buck on an ineffective caliber Bersa that already hasn't worked for you.

I'd suggest you spend a few more shekels and get either a PPS or an HK P2000 SK. A totally reliable handgun with a lifetime warranty...

You know the old saying, "Buy once, cry once".

When it comes to a handgun I might need to save my life or my family's, it's no time to try to get "a deal" IMO.

At any rate best of luck in your endeavor.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old September 23, 2012, 05:58 PM   #20
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
Sorry for your problems Nakanokalronin.

With so many small, quality 9mm pistols on the market I'm not following your logic with saving a buck on an ineffective caliber Bersa that already hasn't worked for you.

I'd suggest you spend a few more shekels and get either a PPS or an HK P2000 SK. A totally reliable handgun with a lifetime warranty...

You know the old saying, "Buy once, cry once".

When it comes to a handgun I might need to save my life or my family's, it's no time to try to get "a deal" IMO.

At any rate best of luck in your endeavor.
Not sure what you mean.

I bought the Bersa because of the price point and missing the one I sold long ago. I have quality carry guns. My current CCW guns consist of a Shield in 9mm for IWB and BG380 for pocket carry. I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and P238 that have now been negated to back-up guns. In any case, I have many high end full size guns as well so I don't know where you got I was trying to save a buck on buying a Bersa...

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; September 23, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:32 AM   #21
bedbugbilly

Nice looking Bersa - congrats on your find!

I bought a used Thunder CC 380 - it ate anything I fed it and I had no problems withthe function at all. Whoever owned it before me had done some trigger work and for CCW, the trigger pull was way too light on mine after the initial DA shot (for me anyway). I ended up trading it off . . . but I would have no problems with getting a new one. I think they are a good quality/reasonably priced handgun. You did well on yours, especially when you consider the price of a spare mag. Good luck, have fun and enjoy it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 24, 2012, 08:30 PM   #22
biohazurd

They are wicked little .380s. Comfortable to shoot, easy to conceal. Great cc or range gun.
Old September 25, 2012, 04:19 PM   #23
schnarrgj

Have 2 BT380s. They are reliable, accurate and a great value. For the original owner, a true lifetime warrantee. My wife's has over 5000 rounds thru it with the only issue was limp wristing at first. Mine only has a few thousand rounds. Again completely reliable. It is easy to carry and easy to shoot accurately. So what is not to like? Congrats on your purchase!!!
Old September 25, 2012, 04:43 PM   #24
k511

+1 Love my Bersa
Old September 26, 2012, 01:25 PM   #25
D-Train

Double-action

I just bought a Bersa 380 Thunder too. I'm having issues with the double-action feature. It works sometimes, then I pull the trigger and it does not cock the hammer. Anyone else have this issue?