The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 8, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
tahoe2

suppressors ridiculously priced !!

why is that ? they already get you with a "Federal Tax Stamp".
they cost more than my gun; darn it !
Old December 8, 2012, 03:31 PM   #2
jknight8907

Small market and somewhat intricate machining required.
Old December 8, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
1 old 0311-1

Well the "THEY" is the Federal Gov. They couldn't care less how much the next guy in line, the manufacturer, sticks you for.
Want to play, got to pay.
Old December 8, 2012, 04:05 PM   #4
darkroommike

Low volume item, lots of hand assembly, and high overhead for secure distribution and paper chasing.
Old December 8, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
BillM

The $200 is there no matter what the suppressor is. You CAN
make your own----pay the tax and have at it. As everybody else
has said, low volume, heavy regulation, labor intensive.
Old December 8, 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Capt Rick Hiott

The machine work on a suppressor is VERY basic. You could make your own. There is nothing complicated about it........
Old December 8, 2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It has more to do with lack of competition that difficulty in manufacturing. In many other countries, where they're not only legal but sometimesrequired, silencers can be had for $50.

Another factor, I think, it that the approval process is expensive and time consuming so we (the American consumer) expect to get a very high-end product for all the time and money.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:41 PM   #8
OcelotZ3

It's volume.

The process requires filling out a bunch of forms, fingerprinting, photos, etc., then takes (most recently) 6 months to complete... And usually you have to pay 50% up front on the suppressor.

That complexity greatly reduces volume for the manufacturer. Another factor is that many people don't even realize that suppressors are legal to own (at least in some states). So they don't even try to buy one.

Heck, if suppressors could be purchased by just forking over $ without going through the tax stamp process, I'd probably own 5 or 6 of them vs. just the one...
Old December 9, 2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Edward429451

I seen an old magazine that was advertising supressors for $5. I don't see what all the hee-Haw is about supressors. So the gun makes less noise. I kind of see why they don't want everyone having full-auto guns, and restrict those but supressors? Pffft. That's dumb.
Old December 9, 2012, 03:19 AM   #10
lefteyedom

This is how easy....

You can do this with the proper tax stamp ect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ah0X92wdY
Old December 9, 2012, 12:36 PM   #11
jknight8907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
The machine work on a suppressor is VERY basic. You could make your own. There is nothing complicated about it........
The vast majority of people can't handle even simple machining tasks, let alone have access to the equipment to do it.

Sent via teletype
Old December 9, 2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Lark

I'm learning how to make my own, I will never buy one unless it is something I can't make.

As for the high cost (other than the $200 tax) that is capitalism at work, Don't like it, form your own company to make cheap disposable silencers for $30 wholesale. It can be done.

lark
Old December 9, 2012, 04:54 PM   #13
scsov509

As an 07/02 FFL I've got to say that some of the high cost is dealers marking suppressors up quite a bit. I talked to one customer recently who had purchased a suppressor from another local dealer for 20% more than my price on the same can, and we're still making about 15% at our price. So part of it is finding a good dealer that's not excessively elevating the costs just to increase their margin of profit. I understand that it can be difficult to make a lot of money in the firearms business, but we've managed to build a slow but steady and profitable business by treating people fairly and earning a lot of repeat business.

Find a good honest local dealer and you'll find the costs are perhaps a little more affordable than you might be seeing elsewhere.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:43 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Another factor, I think, it that the approval process is expensive and time consuming so we (the American consumer) expect to get a very high-end product for all the time and money.
You're correct. They're expected to be expensive, so they are.

Since the $200 and Form 4 is required to transfer from one owner to another, there's really no secondary market, either.
Old December 10, 2012, 02:12 PM   #15
Skans

I could tell you, if I ever want to buy a silencer, I have no intention of making my own. First, it's a PITA to do a trust and NFA paperwork, so I would want something top-of-the-line for my efforts. Not some oil filter clamped onto the end of a barrel. I neither have the skills nor the equipment (nor a place to keep the equipment needed) to make a top-quality suppressor. Because suppressors have little resale value, I am sitting this one out - too much money, too much trouble, no real ability to get your money out of it - too rich a toy for me.
Old December 10, 2012, 02:32 PM   #16
ripnbst

Look into Huntertown Arms. They are what most people have been waiting for and their design is genious. What sucks about most the suppressor companies is they are expensive, for the reasons listed above. Huntertown designs are all modular so they can be rebuilt without needing to pay another stamp fee. If I bought one, it's what I would get.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:43 PM   #17
Lark

I just bought a used hobby lathe for $400 yesterday and am getting a wire fed welder for $150 next week. I already have calipers, grinder, drill bits, reamers and other assorted tools. With material for a 22lr silencer running about $30 and for a 308 about $50 it is a deal I can't beat. I got someone to teach me the silencer making basics so I don't have to learn by making mediocre silencers.

I already have a trust, making one with Quicken Willmaker was a snap. There is lots of info online about filling out the ATF form 1 so I am not worrying about it being rejected. I also know a few guys who have made their own and one of them was able to look over the forms before I sent them in.

$250 for a muffler is no big deal. I spend more than that on ammo just for my 22's each year. When I get out of the Navy and get a decent paying job, I will be able to invest in much more powder and bullets for my larger calibers.

Once you go suppressed, you never go back.

lark
Old December 11, 2012, 09:59 PM   #18
Deja vu

I paid $1400.00 for my first. I was for a 45-70. The more uncommon the more it will cost you. 22 suppressors are very cheep compared to center-fire and common center fire such as 22 or 30 caliber are much cheaper than less common calibers .458, 50

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 13, 2012, 11:37 AM   #19
Captains1911

The cost of the suppressor and the $200 tax stamp have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Old December 13, 2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Tempest 455

Quote:
Look into Huntertown Arms. They are what most people have been waiting for and their design is genious. What sucks about most the suppressor companies is they are expensive, for the reasons listed above. Huntertown designs are all modular so they can be rebuilt without needing to pay another stamp fee. If I bought one, it's what I would get.
That's what I have for my .22's.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:45 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
The cost of the suppressor and the $200 tax stamp have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Well, there's no direct relationship but I maintain that the $200 expense does indirectly lead to higher prices by, 1, creating an expectation of a higher end product and, 2, discouraging lower income buyers thereby pushing the market toward pricier products.

After all, who would pay $200 to own a $50 product? Somehow, $200 doesn't seem so bad when the product is $800.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Willie Lowman

Brian, ask the people that have tax stamps for ASA's Econo-Can.

The suppressor I use on my Uzi cost me only $150 (plus stamp, etc).

I can see how $200 for a stamp doesn't seem so bad when compared to the price of a big ticket item. It does keep many people out of the game when they think "you mean I have to pay two hundred just because?"
Old January 8, 2013, 02:52 PM   #23
eldorendo

Quote:
I ordered a Huntertown Guardian 9 about 15 minutes ago, from Adco. It's user-serviceable and also works with .300 Blackout subsonic rounds. It'll be interesting to see how quickly Adco gets the paperwork to me and how long it takes me to get approved and to actually possess the suppressor.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:33 AM   #24
CCCLVII

Welcome to capitalism... they charge what the market will support.

You can do a form 1 and build your own if you think they are over priced. I know a guy that builds his own suppressor so it very possible.

as far as the tax... sorry there is not much that can be does about that. Just be glad they do not adjust the cost of the stamp for inflation. You would be looking at a $3500.00 stamp.

Last edited by CCCLVII; January 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM.