The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 15, 2011, 06:43 AM   #1
bumnote

Does anyone make aftermarket jeweled GEW98 bolts?

I've just recently gotten ahold of a 1908 Brazilian action for a build I'm planning to do later this year. I hadn't planned on starting this for awhile, but I wanted to start pricing parts...and I can't seem to find anyone who makes jeweled GEW98 bolts with a turned down handle. The action I bought has a complete bolt, but I like to put something a little different in it and would like to keep the original bolt as is...even though it's mismatched.

Anyone know a place for me to look at, even if they're not jeweled I'd still be interested. Doesn't need to be inexpensive. My Google searches aren't getting me anywhere.
Old June 15, 2011, 07:16 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

The reason why you're having trouble is that bolts have to be matched headspace wise with the rifle. So typically you do that first, then have it jeweled. Otherwise the maker would have to send you a set of jeweled bolts with a headspace gauge for you to pick the right one.
Old June 16, 2011, 04:01 PM   #3
PetahW

Right - so, since the bolt you have is a mis-match anyway, why not just have a real gunsmith check it for proper headspace, and change to bolt handle, and jewel it ?

It used to be a fairly common gunsmithing job, before many parts-changers started to call themselves gunsmiths.