The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2021, 06:32 AM   #26
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
I bought a 45 Colt Henry X for $750. Fiber Optic open sights. Nice.

I purchased a 45-70 X series ... love the new fiber optic sights ... very easy to adjust. Side gate is a great add-on
Old January 21, 2021, 01:19 PM   #27
Obambulate

The 16.5" Rossi is great for tight spaces and the weight is under 5 lbs. .357 works well in a rifle of this size and weight.
Old January 21, 2021, 11:20 PM   #28
chris in va

What cast bullet are you guys finding works best in these levers? I was considering the Lee 358-125rf, or some flavor of Lyman.
Old January 22, 2021, 01:28 AM   #29
bamaranger

.357 lever

I've posted many times that a .357 lever carbine is a very useful firearm and one will not be disappointed in their acquisition. Ammo and components are (usually) plentiful. A wide range of ammo, from mild .38 spl. to all up magnum power yields tremendous versatility. A companion revolver so chambered is another plus.

A stubborn traditionalist, I'm opposed to red dots, suppressors, rails and such on lever carbines, but I get it, such additions may add some further usefulness under certain circumstances. One modification I do recommend is changing the sight system from the traditional bead and blade, to a peep sight. For some strange reason, my eyes have changed somehow for the good, and I can once again run a peep sight well enough to do fair shooting. Prior that, I was strongly considering a low powered variable scope.
Old January 22, 2021, 07:44 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
Prior that, I was strongly considering a low powered variable scope.
20 lashes at the mizzenmast.
Old January 22, 2021, 07:54 PM   #31
Grant 14

Do any of the three discussed feed 38 wadcutters reliably? I like the idea of the .357mag for hunting , but most shooting is at paper or beer cans, and the 38 wadcutters are nicer. Too bad Savage didnt make a pistol cartridge 1899. Grant.
Old January 22, 2021, 08:43 PM   #32
bobn

my rossi doesn't feed swc. i load cowboy action bullets which are a flat nosed conical bullet. bobn
Old January 23, 2021, 08:13 AM   #33
JohnMoses

I have run thousands of 38's loaded with Lee's 158g tumble lube bullet through my Navy Arms (Puma, now Rossi)lever without issue. It's my favorite fun gun. No recoil or blast with 38's, but a beer can shredding monster with 357's. When my son brought his new shooter wife to play, she ignored all those msr loaded AK & AR mags and sent me looking for more 38 ammo. Nothing more satisfying than calling head shots on the 1/3 IPEC gong on the pistol range, then waiting that long second for the ping on the 100 yard gong.
Old January 23, 2021, 10:19 AM   #34
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant 14 View Post
Do any of the three discussed feed 38 wadcutters reliably?
I've yet to see a non-heavily modified LG that could feed wadcutters even remotely reliably
Most struggled to even function twice in a row
With semi-wadcutters i've seen some that were somewhat reliable, enough for a bit of plinking
But that seems more a function of technique and bullet profile than make/model
But thats my own experience
Old January 23, 2021, 08:28 PM   #35
SIGSHR

The older Marlins had the Micro-groove rifling, later ones had Ballard rifling at the request of CAS/SASS shooters who found it better for lead bullets.
Old January 27, 2021, 02:40 AM   #36
bamaranger

lashes

I'd posted several times when I first hit this forum about "No scopes or white line spacers on your lever carbine". Then I turned 50 couple and my ability to run irons or even a peep on short barreled carbines took a turn for the worse. For reasons known only to the Almighty, I've discovered that my eyes will once again allow me to run a peep, even with a short barrel, well enough to do passable shooting.

I never scoped my Marlin.......no lashes for me!!!!!
Old January 27, 2021, 07:25 AM   #37
stagpanther

Quote:
For reasons known only to the Almighty, I've discovered that my eyes will once again allow me to run a peep, even with a short barrel, well enough to do passable shooting.
Give it some time--when you're on approach to 70 you may reconsider once again.
Old January 28, 2021, 07:53 AM   #38
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Give it some time--when you're on approach to 70 you may reconsider once again.
Yup, although I have learned how to shoot at fuzzy things pretty good.
Old February 25, 2021, 08:04 AM   #39
Scribe

Prefer the top ejection 92 action. I got a brand new Rossi 92 16 inch .44 magnum two and half years ago. It’s run like a Swiss watch and feeds special cases without a hitch.
Old February 25, 2021, 12:35 PM   #40
reinert

SIGSHR,

"THE OLDER MARLINS HAD MICRO GROOVE RIFLING, LATER ONES HAD BALLARD RIFLING..."

You probably (maybe?) knew the original Marlin lever guns had the Ballard rifling up 'till the mid-50's, then went to the Micro groove rifling (M336s anyway). I never got into the CASS program, but I do remember reading about Marlin bringing back the Ballard rifling back in the later 90s.(?) And FWIW, I just posted this in case a newer shooter didn't know about the Marlin rifling history.

Also, in regards to the tube/loading gate business here, one should remember when all this came down through history, most everything was done on foot and/or horseback. The King's patent came out on the '66 Winchester (I believe) improving loading and a protection of the tube with the wood forearm (heat issues, too), and in regards to improving the original Henry Rifle's loading operation. I think loading rounds through the gate would be a whole lot handier whilst sitting horseback, or while running from a bad situation...or to one.

I do think the Henry's talked about here that have both accesses for loading is a pretty cool thing. Personally, I like my Marlin M336s and my M94 just the way they are. And it's just me, but I never cared for the looks of the new Henry's, but never really messed with one, either. My wife has both models of the Henry lever gun .22s, and like them a lot. The actions truly are butter smooth, and are very accurate, too.

Driftwood Johnson needs to chime in here!

chris in va,

To your inquiry for a rifle, I'd hunt for a nice older Marlin M94 carbine in your choice of cal. I have an M94SS in .41 mag. I like an awful lot. 20" barrel, very reliable, and very accurate. I do handload for that one.
Old February 25, 2021, 01:13 PM   #41
MarkCO

After going about 10 years without a lever action (sold two Marlins, one in .30-30 and one in .41Mag) the Henry's are bringing me back. Have a .41Mag on order. I like the .41Mag more than the .357, but it was a hard choice with the .357 having a side gate. I'd certainly pick a Henry with a side gate if I was getting a .357 Mag.
Old February 25, 2021, 06:00 PM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
After going about 10 years without a lever action (sold two Marlins, one in .30-30 and one in .41Mag) the Henry's are bringing me back. Have a .41Mag on order. I like the .41Mag more than the .357, but it was a hard choice with the .357 having a side gate. I'd certainly pick a Henry with a side gate if I was getting a .357 Mag.
We expect a full report.