The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 13, 2020, 11:36 AM   #1
spawndn72

Nothing new under the sun

I am getting the itch to buy something new but nothing out there is really exciting me. Anyone else having the same problem?

Maybe my wife is right, maybe I do have too many guns.
Old January 13, 2020, 11:46 AM   #2
HistoryJunky

I'm right there with you. I don't own a huge number of firearms, but I am not particularly excited about anything that has came out recently.

I have my eye on a Sig P365 maybe, but have had lackluster experiences shooting smaller guns in general so I would like to shoot one first.

Other than that, I'm pretty much holding out for long guns that currently don't exist to my knowledge and may never become a thing.

I have heard that CZ may be releasing their model 97 in 10mm if that's your thing.
Old January 13, 2020, 01:32 PM   #3
Wyosmith

Go the other way.
Buy something old. As a rule guns made 70+ years ago are classier.
Old January 13, 2020, 01:54 PM   #4
Pahoo

Something old, works for me !!!

Quote:
I see a firearm that catches my eye and;
1) I've already have a better one/ones at home.
2) I use to have one and got rid of it.
3) Just don't shoot that Cal/Ga. any more.

Then, I inherited a bunch of Colt and Remington C&B's and now really enjoy working with them. Will probably never shoot them but they sure do shine !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old January 13, 2020, 02:18 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...Maybe my wife is right..." Highly advisable that you do not let her see or hear you saying that, snicker.
This is why milsurps and as mentioned, antiques, beat commercial stuff. There's always something. Mind you, antiques are not always for shooting.
Old January 14, 2020, 06:23 AM   #6
mk70ss

I’ve been buying the classic vintage stuff the last couple of years. The new stuff may be good, but it has no soul. Last purchases foe me have been S&W Model 18 .22 Combat Masterpiece, S&W Model 539 9mm, Colt Python 4 inch in royal blue.
Old January 14, 2020, 08:04 AM   #7
sparkyv

I've got a hankering for big bore. S&W 460XVR on the radar! This is new territory for me.
Old January 14, 2020, 08:08 AM   #8
spawndn72

Quote:
I've got a hankering for big bore. S&W 460XVR on the radar! This is new territory for me.
Funny you should mention that as I was looking at those last night. Which one are you looking at? The biggest handgun I have is a Ruger Redhawk in 44mag.
Old January 14, 2020, 08:18 AM   #9
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith View Post
Go the other way.
Where I am..looking at a M1 Carbine..trying to decide to buy an old one(6million+ produced, more than the M1) or a new manufacture one..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 14, 2020, 11:20 AM   #10
Skans

I' right along with the OP 100%. There is simply nothing new and exciting out there in the gun world. Lots of same-old same-old mid to low end guns that hold no interest for me. And, I don't want a bunch of dusty antiques. Here are some gun ideas that would excite me:

1. Bren Ten D&D Clone priced at $1,000 or less
2. New line of Swiss made, steel/stainless steel Sphinxes.
3. S&W 627 (8-shot .357) with options like fluted barrel, brushed or polished finishes, and different barrel lengths. Holly crap, how easy would that be?
4. Kimber K6 in a brushed stainless finish with some polished highlights;
5. CZ 75B in 10mm - real blued, not painted
6. Desert Eagle Micro 44 (Just kidding.......well maybe not)
7. 308 Bullpup with rotating, high capacity tube magazines.
8. How about something that boasts of beautiful machining and fancy metal-work (not engraving!)
9. How about a new HK P7M13 in stainless steel.
10. Or a Walther PPK in 9mm +P+ (real 9mm, not that .380 stuff)

Last edited by Skans; January 14, 2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old January 14, 2020, 01:50 PM   #11
kenny53

The last gun I bought was a Taurus TX22. It's not fancy but a lot of fun to shoot. 16 round magazine and mine shoots anything I put it except CCI Stingers. So if you want to spend money and need a plinker you could do worse.
Old January 14, 2020, 02:37 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawndn72 View Post
I am getting the itch to buy something new but nothing out there is really exciting me. Anyone else having the same problem?

Maybe my wife is right, maybe I do have too many guns.
I'm old and experienced enough to know that if I get what I (think I) want, it probably won't satisfy me, unless it solves a current and obvious problem.

Currently only keeping an eye out for an upgrade to my snubbie revolvers. If it doesn't ever happen, that's OK too.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 14, 2020, 02:54 PM   #13
spawndn72

Quote:
I'm old and experienced enough to know that if I get what I (think I) want, it probably won't satisfy me, unless it solves a current and obvious problem
While I am sure that is true, I am not anywhere near that mature in my thinking. The grass is greener damn it!!!

*edited for grammar*
Old January 14, 2020, 03:03 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Start building AR pistols. That'll take all that extra money. It's an addiction!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 14, 2020, 05:53 PM   #15
DaleA

Quote:
Yep. It's got me interested too. And nothing short of the 8+ inch barrel will do! I mean as long as you're going big, go BIG.

The after market accessories is what mainly concerns me...where can I get a gun bearer to carry the thing for me?

Good luck.
Old January 14, 2020, 06:19 PM   #16
gbclarkson

How about the new Ruger 57?
Old January 16, 2020, 03:55 PM   #17
dyl

Quote:
Start building AR pistols. That'll take all that extra money. It's an addiction!
Almost done with mine, and the possibilities are endless as to what components grip, sights, angled foregrip, brace (well, more limited with these). And it can get EXPENSIVE. You will have infinite chances to keep it budget or splurge, but every now and then you have to do a reality check: do I "need" aluminum backup sights or is polymer enough? etc....

You could do the opposite and use what you have... (I know, party pooper but it's actually fun) and take out some oldies and compete in IDPA with them, start reloading, start loading for accuracy rather than quantity. You could get some steel targets, get a shot timer, make some portable barricades, take a class. Lately I've been wanting a dueling tree but my AR pistol "build" has taken priority. I've always thought that showing people up at a competition with a Hi-Point would be something fun to do sometime... assuming I would do well. and if not I'd have an alabi.
Old January 16, 2020, 04:07 PM   #18
Lohman446

I want a revolver designed from the ground up to be for a .327 round (or .32 H+R mag). Not some "hey look you get a sixth shot" but a ground up pocket pistol to carry 5 rounds of 327 and scaled down dimensions. A pocket revolver between the NAA minis and the J frame. Kind of the like the old H+R .32 break tops in scale.
Old January 18, 2020, 11:09 AM   #19
R.A.N.G.E.R

Crazy, but I’m trying to find a good copy of a 32BER locally to compete with the online, sight unseen prices. Hard to trust that you’d get the good one of ten...and as it’s for fun and swmbo will assume ownership if it’s nice, want to find a pretty one - great condition, not pink....
Old January 18, 2020, 09:26 PM   #20
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith View Post
Go the other way.
I second this. At some point once you have all the bases covered for handguns and rifles, the only way to go is to go back to the past. Old guns that have me interested are 19th Century black powder cartridge rifles and early to mid 20th Century Russian guns.

Got a Serbian Tokarev clone on the way and that's been on the long list for a very long time. Would have gotten other, more pressing guns, but when you try to buy used as much as possible you're stuck with whatever people are selling.
Old January 19, 2020, 01:55 AM   #21
bamaranger

the new "way"

The biggest new trend in handguns is the miniature red dot sight. While we've been scoping hunting handguns for some time now, the reliable (?) miniature red dot is going to take handguns into the next level, just like it did for certain rifles.

The only big prohibition at present is cost. To get a good one costs as much as the gun. Another aspect is bulk and size, but their working on that. For me, to be able to see handgun sights, and shoot a pistol well as I did 15 years ago, I'll tolerate a bit of bulk and weight, .....but not too much. I'm already seeing occasional dot sights on duty handguns, and new guns like the assorted Glocks and others, come w/ the slide optic ready.
Old January 19, 2020, 06:07 AM   #22
Eric 53

I'd like to see a new production "modern" design gun in 7.62x25, probably won't happen but it'd get my attention if it did.