The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 15, 2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Qwk69buick

I am very happy with my P95DC, but I would love to have had input

My first "nice' auto was a used West German Sig 226, about 20 years old when I bought it, it came with the yellow cardboard box red Velveen inside with indents for the pistol and 2 magazines. I absolutely loved it, when I went shopping for it they asked what I wanted, my answer "Nothing with the name Glock or Baretta " the salesman I just the thing that is neither of those. I really enjoyed the Sig it is a slim profile, fairly lightweight pistol that just happened to come with high capacity magazines. A couple of years later I wanted a knock about pistol that didn't say Hi Point, my first pistol was a C9 and I absolutely hated it more every time. I didn't find the problem till I bought the Sig and noticed that lovely contoured thumb relief on the grip frame. The Hi Point had a flat square that rode your knuckle and was painful to shoot, once I saw the problem, I grabbed my Dremmel ground a lovely radiused curve in the thumb square, put a little silicone on it for good measure, after that shooting it wasn't so bad. But my not a Hi Point ended up being the P95DC. I really enjoyed shooting it, and being stainless and polymer it's not gonna rust, it is a wide load and necessarily so for the amount of strength necessary to run a metal slide straight on a polymer frame and no metal rub strips on the frame. Here is my complaint, they made a big deal about there being no metal in the frame, I would have put metal in one spot so there wouldn't have been that bulge moulded into the frame to add strength for the retainer pin/Slide lock assembly. What the heck would have been the big deal about making a non bulge frame, run a drill through, put a lovely metal bushing in the frame to make it plenty strong, and it wouldn't have been so much work to make it functional in my holster. Seriously would anyone have cared about onsmall bushing that would have kept the pistol from being lopsided, that damn bulge and slide lock were a serious pain to make work properly in my Blackhawk holster, I had to do quite a bit of modification to eliminate the problems caused by the bulge. At first the bulge rode on the beltside flap of the holster causing it to protrude at an odd angle. I finally made a closely contoured indent to park the bulge in and finally finish my project. I think that one bushing would have made a good pistol even better. Most of my problems during'beta testing " wore it around empty on my hip and would draw it randomly every 5 to 15 minutes to find snags, friction, and any other problems complicating the proper function of the holster. I actually ended up having to make the belt side inside of the holster dedicated to easing the drawing and replacement of the pistol. Took a great deal of work just to make a lopsided pistol able to be drawn quickly. I started my little project last Saturday all the major renovation was done Sunday night, the rest of the week I just spent some time each day tuning. Which mostly consisted of light sanding of areas that were rubbing slightly, any sources of interference, even down to the adjustment of the screw below the lock. A noticeable difference can be felt with only 1/4 of a turn, which was also a signal to me that I had found the right adjustment. I will attach pictures, if you have never seen it, it does not blend in, anything but. I added a good example of the ed bulge, I don't know what they were thinking, I added a pic of the holster inside, , but on the belt side I of the holster I had to make a kind of a slide trench The area that looks like 3 small depressions which actually form a cut down trench so the bulge side can be pulled, or put back quickly, the best way I could accomplish that was to remove all the material from the side so the bulge never actually touched the side coming in or being pulled , third low spot towards the back bulge into it's pocket i created. Last photo is just the pistol barrel stopping exactly at the pinch point like it had been planned for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Message_1521129469598-1.jpg (60.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Message_1521129833570-1.jpg (55.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Message_1521131842516(1)-1.jpg (89.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Qwk69buick; March 16, 2018 at 06:44 AM.