The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old January 7, 2007, 06:36 PM   #1
bobhwry

Who or what owns TFL & THR?

Just curious.
Old January 7, 2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Per PM from Bud Helms a while back;
The owner is Rich Lucibella as far as TFL.
Old January 7, 2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Bud Helms

Site and contents owned by S.W.A.T. magazine.

This site and contents © 1998-2006 S.W.A.T. Magazine

http://thefiringline.com

http://thefiringline.com/forums/

Not very observant there, bob. It's written at the bottom of every page you bring up on this site. It's written on the "Front Door" too.

THR ... Oleg Volk still, I think.
Old January 7, 2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Bud,
My bad. I may have misconstrued who owns this site per a PM you sent a while back. Didn't mean to make you out as a truth bender.
Old January 7, 2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Bud Helms

Not. Guess who owns S.W.A.T. mag?

It's a matter of publc record.
Old January 8, 2007, 02:45 PM   #6
tyme
Staff

To be clear, THR is entirely separate, though some moderators help out with both sites.

Oleg "owns" THR, as much as anyone owns it, but neither he nor any other single person bankrolls it.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 9, 2007, 06:28 PM   #7
bobhwry

Gee Bud,
Hope you got another new toaster for that coy and politically correct response! Yes, I got it that SWAt owns TFL. How insightful and informative of you to point that out! Still didn't answer the question! Admire your loyalty but not the submissiveness to the company line!
Old January 9, 2007, 06:42 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

There is no company line - period
Never has been, and I can safely say, never will be.

Which question did Bud not answer? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you asked "Who or what owns TFL & THR?" By your snide comments above are we to construe that you only wanted to know the "who" that owns TFL? If it turned out to be a "what" that you were no longer curious? Bud answered your question perfectly, yes he added a bit of witty sarcasm, I would have also.
Old January 9, 2007, 07:33 PM   #9
bobhwry

Ok, I stand corrected. Who owns Swat, TFL? Are there real people out there or just a mirage? Does SWAT have a staff? Is there a board of directors? Who are they? Is there a corporate structure? How is TFL funded?
So far, alot of questions but only vague answers! Bud's answers were sarcastic but not very witty!
Old January 9, 2007, 07:37 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Bohica!!:d
Old January 9, 2007, 07:48 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

bobhwry - Please click on the S.W.A.T. Magazine link at the bottom of any TFL page and then select "About Us" from the top menu. There you'll get a rundown of the S.W.A.T. staff. To be honest, I would have thought that would have been obvious.
Old January 10, 2007, 03:46 PM   #12
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhwry
Ok, I stand corrected. Who owns Swat, TFL? Are there real people out there or just a mirage? Does SWAT have a staff? Is there a board of directors? Who are they? Is there a corporate structure? How is TFL funded?
You're sure tetchy for someone who can't be bothered to do a few google searches and a little investigation on the relevant websites.

SWAT is owned by Tessier-Ashpool, which happens to own an orbital habitat and a pair of AIs... one of which undertakes to write and publish the magazine by itself. There's also the matter of the owners, who come out of cryo every once in a while... and have vat-grown assassins protecting the business.

Then there's the minor fact that SHOTShow is this week, so anyone who can answer your question is probably rather busy right now. After your stellar display of tact, I'm not sure how you can expect a straight answer.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 10, 2007, 05:09 PM   #13
bobhwry

I thought one of the purposes of subject specific online forums was to access information without time consuming research. Apparently, I've been misguided! I asked a simple question, but only received coy and vague responses. If they didn't know the answer, or choose not to share it, or it,s protected by privacy laws, so be it, and just say so!!
It was an innocent question and I was simply curious. Now I could care less what the answers are to my question!
Old January 10, 2007, 05:57 PM   #14
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Are there real people out there or just a mirage? Does SWAT have a staff?
That's a simple question? It seems like a silly and sarcastic question to me. You've already gotten most of your questions answered. I don't know what you're complaining about now.
Old January 10, 2007, 07:02 PM   #15
bobhwry

thyme,
Not complaining. The "What" was answered the "Who" has not been!! I'm no longer curious or interested in the info or sparring with you on the subject. So why don't you find something else to occupy your time!
Old January 10, 2007, 07:30 PM   #16
Mal H
Staff

The "who" was answered correctly by tuttle8 in post #2. We didn't feel a need to amplify it any further than that. You didn't believe him?

I would like you to re-read your question as originally posed (the title of this thread) and tell us how we have not answered that question - more than once. You, yourself, are the one reading a lot more into your own question than there was to begin with. You, yourself, are the one "sparring" with us for no apparent reason, calling our answers "coy", "politcally correct", "vague answers", etc. It was a simple question, received a simple and correct answer, and yet you are still not satisfied. Truly amazing.
Old January 11, 2007, 03:56 PM   #17
News Shooter

I don't mean to hijack this discussion

But why is THR a .org instead of .com? I thought it had to be a non-profit
Thanks
Old January 11, 2007, 04:58 PM   #18
Mal H
Staff

THR is non-profit. But, I'm not sure there is any hard and fast criteria to being a .org vs a .com vs a .net. I think it's first come first served as far as reserving a name.type for any website. Could be wrong.
Old January 11, 2007, 10:25 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

Bob,

Curious...

Are you lazy, stupid, or just a sanctimonious prick with too little imagination and too much time to while away?

And yes, just so we're not mistaken, that IS intended to be an ad hominem.

Hey Mal, to quote Bob...

"Yes, my suggestion is that you exercise your responsibility and control the nonsense on P&L! Just do your job please!"

Now be a good little moderator and answer his questions, even the ones he doesn't ask, before he asks them.

Do your job and control the nonsense...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread