The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 13, 2023, 02:09 PM   #1
Rothdel

P95 and P90

Just picked up a Ruger P95 and a P90 both in great shape for $500 all in out the door. Kind of feel like I hit the jackpot. The P95 had a bit of rust which cleaned up with almost no effort. Both guns were sitting in a small gun store that tailors more towards the tactical side of the world so not a lot of interest. After about 5 weeks I asked what he would do on them figuring I would be looking at $300-350 a piece. The owner said $500 if you say yes right now and I jumped.

Will get picks later tonight.
Old March 13, 2023, 05:19 PM   #2
artoo

Congrats on getting those puppies. They're both good solid guns.

My P95s are still my go to house guns.
Old March 14, 2023, 06:15 AM   #3
Rothdel

A P89 was the first handgun I ever purchased for myself and I let it go for a Glock 17 and always kicked myself afterwards. Not because the Glock was bad mind you just had a soft spot for the P series. Have had opportunities in the past to pick up another one and for what ever reason always passed. Happy to have a couple back in the collection. They are great guns and have some character that's for sure.
Old March 14, 2023, 08:01 AM   #4
Webleymkv

My P90 is a bit of a puzzler in that while I have other .45's that fit my hand better and have much better triggers, the P90 is consistently the most accurate. I also have a P85 Mk. II that I picked up for a song during the height of the COVID panic that's rather nice too, but it doesn't shoot as well as the P90 does.
Old March 18, 2023, 08:28 PM   #5
Brian48

Congrats. Really regret trading my P90 away almost 30 years ago. Reliable, accurate, and practically maintenance free. If there was ever a .45 built for rough and tumble, it's the P90.
Old March 19, 2023, 08:55 AM   #6
Wag

Congrats. Smart buy there!

--Wag--
Old March 19, 2023, 12:02 PM   #7
chaim

I think those may be the best autos that Ruger ever made.

A buddy had a P90 when I first started shooting handguns. I don't think he ever had an issue with it, definitely not when I was shooting with him. I found it very accurate. The only issue was it always seemed a bit big to me for the capacity.

The P95 had a stellar reputation back in the day. If they still made them, I'd possibly buy one as a fun gun/beater. I still may if I see one used at a good price.

I personally have owned two P-series (my first auto was a KP89 and I had a P345), though I had some issues with mine (my KP89 wasn't accurate, and reading others online it seems that was unusual, and the P345 was unusual for a P-series in that Ruger had some issues with a few of them, including the one I had). Overall though, Ruger P-series pistols were usually great guns, and were and are a good value.

The two you got are probably the best of the Ruger P-series. If I came across a pair like yours at that price, I'd likely jump too.