The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 17, 2022, 07:09 PM   #1
2wheelwander

S&W 629-1 Variant 103615 Millet rings

I recently purchased this fine revolver. NIB, unfired. However there are no rings in the box, some, but slim chance they will be found. Cursory search of the 'net isn't heart warming.

Made one year only, these rings apparently were JUST for this revolver. Found a set that was just auctioned off last month that went for $30. A month too soon for me.

Does anyone have a lead on a set of these rings? TIA.
Old October 17, 2022, 07:31 PM   #2
MC 1911

Good luck! The current ones Millett makes "supposedly" can be made to fit but requires work. When I was looking I ran into the same thing. Someone on the S&W Forum got 3 sets from S&W & none of them fit.

I'm guessing lots of these rings were sold separate from the gun when the owners decided to sell. If you can find them I don't think $30.00 will buy them. Wish I could be more help!
Old October 18, 2022, 03:52 PM   #3
2wheelwander

I appreciate the feedback. Went to the widow I bought the gun from and she allowed me to poke through his safe and cubbies looking for them. Zero luck.

I'll reach out to Millet and maybe pick up a set that could be made to work, but I'd much rather find a NOS set even if it cost a bit more. The paperwork for them is in the S&W box. I'd like to think they were there at one time. Original owner would not have tossed them. Maybe they'll pop up.

Played around a bit with the 629 and the 657. The trigger on these guns is phenomenal. SA is just a dream. Both are -1 guns. She had a few boxes of .41 mag ammo I found and snagged those for $1/round. Black box Winchester.

She also has a .500 S&S with what looks like a 10" barrel, ported at the end. The thing is just an obscene handgun. Mine is bigger than yours type of gun to pull out at the range. I could have that for under $1k, but I just don't want the thing. Its a monstrosity. Has the original box as well. That thing is a small suit case.
Old October 18, 2022, 04:52 PM   #4
MC 1911

Very nice of her it's ashame they didn't turn up! If memory serves they only made around 4810 of the -1's in 88-89 with the scope mounts so they are fairly rare. I just found a 500 for a buddy since he has a thing for them & he loves it.

To much for me & not fun to shoot more than once or twice LOL! .44 Mag in my 4" mountain gun is all the fun I need. The 29-1 in 8 3/8 is a pleasure to shoot. Good luck on the quest!!
Old October 18, 2022, 05:14 PM   #5
DaleA

Quote:
She also has a .500 S&W with what looks like a 10" barrel, ported at the end. The thing is just an obscene handgun. Mine is bigger than yours type of gun to pull out at the range.
(Bold emphasis is mine.)
I assume we're talking about something like this:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...01&preselect=1

Quite some time ago, maybe when they first came out, I saw a guy at the range asking his buddies if they wanted to shoot his new S&W 5-shot revolver, one of whom he knew would turn him down as the guy constantly ranted about how he hated little revolvers. "Well I don't think your objections would apply to this one," he said pulling the monstrous thing out of his range bag.
Old November 5, 2022, 07:28 PM   #6
2wheelwander

^Yep, just like that one!
Old November 6, 2022, 01:54 PM   #7
DaleA

I hope your widow friend gets top dollar for the S&W 500. It's been my VERY limited experience that many of the guys (and gals for all I know) that want one seem to have a goodly amount of money (IMhO more dollars than sense) and REALLY want one.

Full disclaimer having said all the above I still would be tempted by the deal myself. Yeah, just a little hypocrisy on my part.
Old November 6, 2022, 06:08 PM   #8
2wheelwander

I know she's offered it to a fellow for $1200. NIB. Don't know if he followed through. NIB pistol. That box is like a carry on suitcase!