The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you carry a backup for civilian CCW?
Yes, every time I carry, I'm carrying a BUG 4 7.14%
Sometimes, it depends on circumstances 16 28.57%
No, I'm not going to war and it's overkill 36 64.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 12, 2019, 12:56 PM   #51
Smoke Jensen

I was in Basic in ‘91. I didn’t get pistol familiarity or training until I reached my home unit. I was trained on the original (full auto) M-16 with the M-203 and the M-60 machine gun.
Old September 12, 2019, 07:08 PM   #52
TRX

I carry a backup gun. My wife bought it for me as a present; it would hurt her feelings if I didn't carry it.
Old September 12, 2019, 08:41 PM   #53
TopJeff

Quite often I will put an XDS or a Ruger LCRx in an ankle rig.
Old September 17, 2019, 09:26 AM   #54
SPEMack618

There were times during my last deployment in which I had a M-9 pistol, my M-4 carbine, and a Mossberg M590 shotgun. The shotgun was mainly for breaching and less lethal options, as mandated by the ROE.

At my current gig, I'm the assistant manager for an upscale indoor range/gun store. I generally wear a Glock 19 in a Galco leather pancake strong side and two spare mags weak side. I don't expect to get into a running gunfight; but the mag caddy sort of evens out the weight load.

I also have either my LCP or 642 shoved in a pocket depending on what I'm wearing.

And I carry a pocket gun everywhere I legally can. When I leave work each day, I take my Glock off.
Old September 17, 2019, 09:44 AM   #55
MTT TL

Quote:
Don't most of our troops in the sandbox carry both an M4 and an M9? But on a battlefield you're surrounded by backup guys with guns -- who needs a backup gun when you have an army?
Nope. I did three tours and carried both on all three but I was the exception rather than the rule.

To answer your other question is what if you are not on the battlefield? 99% of the time when I had just my pistol I was in a meeting with potential threats around or walking around in a "relatively" secured area. It is not advisable to carry an M4 rifle in to a meeting with a bunch of sheiks. The other 1% of the time were unplanned moments when I really wished I had my rifle but did not. The enemy always gets a vote.

I don't carry a BUG. I do keep a long gun in my vehicle.
Old September 24, 2019, 07:26 PM   #56
Tactical Jackalope

I carry a Glock 36 on my ankle as my back up gun.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old September 25, 2019, 11:28 AM   #57
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Hard to quantify feeling safe.

One guy carries a full size Glock with reloads and a snubbie on his ankle. Another carries the snubbie and is perfectly content. Hopefully neither will need it!

When asked "if you knew you'd get attacked today, what gun would you bring?" I've answered "none, cuz I'm staying home!"
"None cause I'm staying home!" Great answer. I think a lot of people get awfully carried away with the concealed weapon. Odds are you'll never have a need for one, even if you live in Chicago! Yet guy's are carrying what seem to me more attack weapons than self defense weapons and lot of guy's carrying two! So you pull out the first and something goes wrong so you throw it down and go for the back up. By that time the bad guy has either left or shot you!
Old September 25, 2019, 11:32 AM   #58
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
To my knowledge the use of pistols isn't what I would call standard. There are certainly soldiers using them, but not what I think of when I think of most (Note: I don't want to debate the definition of most...).
This is about like carrying a hand gun as back up on a bear hunt. You get charged by a bear throw down the 300 mag and grab your 44 mag! I cannot imagine on the battle field a lot of use for a handgun but, the instance could come around. No way in h*ll I'm throwing down a perfectly good functioning battle rifle and going to my handgun!
Old September 25, 2019, 11:40 AM   #59
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
I always ask where you get the Magic 8 Balls that tell you what youll need and when, but no one seems to want to give that up.

I carry a second gun on a pretty regular basis, and for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, sometimes I need to leave my 17 in the car at work, due to what Im doing that day, and the 26 is always there regardless.

Other times, if we are going somewhere or travel through someplace thats a bit sketchy, Ill have the 26 along as well. My wife, and a couple of my buddies seem to prefer not to carry, and it gives options if need be. No big deal having it, but it could be second shooter if it were needed. It can also be a second 17 with a simple and quick mag change.

It also makes it easier driving sometimes to have a second gun in a place thats easier and/or less obvious to access. These days, I find AIWB tends to negate that, but it still works.

In the winter, plowing snow, a second gun in a shoulder holster is handy. Its about the only time Id use or consider a shoulder holster, but it works well in that case. Ive had more altercations at night plowing snow, than pretty much anything else. For some reason, that really brings the nut jobs out!
This is good. A second gun in a shoulder holster while plowing snow at night!