The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 10, 2010, 10:58 AM   #26
Panfisher

Point well taken.

I get into a zone typing and never think to go back and clean it up.

Sadly I talk much the same way. (Hey there is that return button)
Old September 10, 2010, 11:14 AM   #27
Eagle0711

The advise about the narritive is duly noted and I'll do better, but I don't even know what the return key is.
The post about firing one shot is a good point. A state policeman confronted a person who turned out to be a bank robber in a rest 9 miles south of Grants Pass a few years back. It was dark and drizzling rain and the robber pulled a J-Frame when the officer asked to see his I.D. The robber made the cop kneel and while doing so he drew hie 40 S&W Glock and shot the robber side ways just under the arm pit. The robber got off one round and hit the officer just above his vest. The robber ran uphill and made 124' before collapsed and died. The policeman under went surgery, but he still carries the bullet in his neck and is still on duty.
Thankfully it turned out well, but what if the robber had decided to make more of a fight he could have unleashed the remaining 4 rounds, and the distancs was only a few feet seperating the two. If you think about this there are a lot of lessons to be learned. You can draw your own conclusions, but the 96% one shot stop deal is something I'd forget.
Thanks all for your comments, they are very intresting and informative. Lyle
Old September 10, 2010, 12:04 PM   #28
TylerD45ACP

Yep. Fight or Flight We have the instinct like when a dangerous animal is shot. It can run off in full bore or come charging in your direction deciding youd make a nice lunch . Luckily the criminal chose flight instead of fight. Like you said if he did he could have easily killed the officer.
Old September 10, 2010, 10:42 PM   #29
Win73

Wyatt Earp put it this way, "Take your time quickly." That might not be the exact words he used but it was very close to that.

A bit of trivia about Wyatt Earp. He never killed anyone before the OK Corral shootout. And by the way, it didn't happen in the OK Corral. It actually took place in front of Fly's Photography Studio. Somehow though "Shootout at Fly's Photography Studio" just doesn't have the ring to it that "Shootout at OK Corral" has.

Also Wyatt was never wounded. He had bullet holes in his clothing but no wounds.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old September 10, 2010, 11:09 PM   #30
Nnobby45

Quote:
For one thing, those guys back then didn't have any dumb-a$$ed ideas like turning the pistol sideways!!
Nor did they have Crips, Bloods, and MS 13.
Old September 11, 2010, 02:09 AM   #31
TylerD45ACP

Win 73 good input. Thats all totally true. When Wyatt fought Curly Bill he was missed so many times. He had buckshot and rounds through his clothes.
Old September 11, 2010, 05:53 AM   #32
higgy1911

not to change the topic of the thread, but I'm pretty sure Wyatt killed a guy in dodge city. Similar to the scene in the costner movie, though not as dramatice. The guy was riding through shooting and wyatt hit him in the arm or shoulder, a wound that the man died of several days later. not a gunfight exactly since I don't think he was shooting at wyatt, but earps couldn't just let him shoot up the town.

Hitting a guy on a riding horse anywhere seems quite the feat to me.
Coule have been that other deputies responded and fired and so wyatt may not deserve "credit" for the shot. I believe this incident is in the Lake biography, but its been a while and Im not sure.

In terms of the old school lets remember that before Bonnie and Clyde Frank Hamer was a texas ranger when the west still wild enough. He has a record of an unbelievable number of "kills" and on several occasions defeated multiple opponents. I believe he was a revolver man, carrying a single action with a name and perhaps later a large bore service revolver.

also according to his biography the bonnie and clyde ambush went down differently, with Hamer showing himself and ordering them to stop the car, and when clyde went for his gun Hamer shot him through the windshield with his Remington automatic rifle(not a BAR), at which point the rest of the force opened up turning the love-birds to swiss cheese.
Another time this old hand was shot at by a man who came to kill him with a 45 automatic. The gun jammed and Hamer claims he realized this because he didn't hear the spent carteidgw case hit the ground and so he beat the attacker sensless rather than draw and kill him.
That one might be more legend than fiction although the attack itself is documented.

Hamer might perhaps be the most over looked of the old time gunfighters, his prowess most noticed long before the bonnie and clyde fiasco. Im not entirely sure he wasn't brought out of retirement to deal with them.
Old September 11, 2010, 07:06 AM   #33
ClayInTx

For reasons not applicable to this discussion I studied the legends of the “Old West Gun Slinger” many years ago; and also studied the writings by those persons detailing the facts of the “Old West”. I learned there seemed to be a great difference between legend and fact.

And that is:
The quick-draw shoot out of the Old West is a myth. There were a few, very few, instances of it and even in those cases it’s vague if the fight happened that way at the time or in the later telling about it.

Almost all of the “big” outlaws never got into a quick-draw fight; they knew better. Also, they weren’t interested in a gun fight in the middle of the street; banks didn’t keep their money in the middle of the street. Jesse James & Co. had a mid-street shoot out which they never intended and it ended their career.

The quick-draw shoot out in the middle of Main Street at high noon was something made popular by writers Ned Buntline and Zane Grey, who claimed to have been “out west” but such claims are suspect. However, it made a good story and later writers glommed onto it and have perpetuated it in their novels and movies.

Very few persons carried a handgun. They couldn’t afford one. If they had the money for a gun they bought a rifle or a shotgun.

John Wesley Hardin was probably the only real “gun slinger” as portrayed in the novels and movies of today. He is supposed to have actually needed the quick-draw only a few times but in most cases his opponent didn’t know what was coming until it was too late. He used the cross-draw and did not have a “regulation” holster, at least this was the case in his later years.

Yes, others had the “name” of “gun slinger” but in almost every case their gun had already been “slung” before the “slinging” started.

I am suspicious of any story about “gun slinging” in the Old West unless there is an available account which is current for that time and still suspect that even then a newspaper knew a “spiced up” story sold more papers than did fact.

We, today, are more apt to need the quick-draw against the mugger in the C-Store parking lot than did those guys of the “Old West”.

Okay, so they didn’t have C-Stores in those days.
Old September 11, 2010, 09:23 AM   #34
BODAME

"Fast is fine but accuracy is everything."

-- Wyatt Earp
Old September 11, 2010, 06:44 PM   #35
TylerD45ACP

Wyatt could not be hit with bullets. He had a bullet proof force field Seriously though he had so many close hits in his hat, jacket, pants, shirt. I dont think he was ever hit was he? He walked in the open Texas Jack (I think) said it was one of the most bold things he ever saw. Wyatt was ****** about Morgan and went into the open Curly missing 2 00B at him. Wyatt returning with 2 of his own, but they connected. He was the coolest lawman,the kinda lawman Doc Holiday, and Bat Masterson.
Old September 11, 2010, 07:43 PM   #36
kraigwy

Speaking of OLD School, I got to mean Gary Anderson this weekend. He teaches the CMP GSM Master Instructors school. Talk about hard holders, he has more Olympic (as well as other medals) Medals then any American in history. Also still holds the World Record NRA Offhand 200 yard record set in the early 80s I believe.

He and his wife were gracious enough to have us out to his home for drinks and adores. Wonderful guy with a wonder wife. It was a Museum of Shooting Metals and other shooting paraphernalia.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 12, 2010, 11:11 AM   #37
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Old School Gunology Still Valid?
In the 1950s, my pop became a police officer. He was taught a one-handed combat shooting style that put the shooter in a crouched shooting position that looked like the shooter had just rolled a bowling ball (with the trailing leg NOT swung out to the side). He explained to me that he learned that in a gun fight, it was important to be the first person to shoot, thereby establishing dominance in the fight. While not ideal, it wasn't considered a problem if the first shot or shots went into the ground.

Establishing a firing dominance in a fight was thought (and apparently sometimes was) to be sufficient to give officers an advantage or even win fights.

Quote:
A shot to their gut or pelvic area stopped many of an old boy.
So have shots to the foot, leg, shoulder, and arm. That doesn't make them necessarily reliable targets for that purpose, however.

----

A lot of styles, strageties, and tactics were used in the past and many are still valid today. Many are not.