The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 5, 2006, 11:22 PM   #26
Recon7

supra-orbital, that's the word of the day

rusty I said you need penetration. and if some dude pulled a gun on be and I shot him in the arm forcing him to drop his gun, thatd be kewl too.

my point is dumping a mag into center mass of any human should work. I wonder if "morbidly obese attacker" is the new zombie seeing as zombies are strictly forbidden (rightfully so). maybe if you shoot him in the medulla oblongata he would no longer be angry. Please, as long as there is no real body armor on a person several rounds center mass of any service caliber (9mm or better) should do the job.
Old December 5, 2006, 11:49 PM   #27
CobrayCommando

And yet...
Old December 6, 2006, 02:06 AM   #28
Daves-got-guns

shooting "husky guys" might be a problem for penetration, but elephant sized folks will probably have a heart attack. Its the muscle that would be a really big consideration, and if i had anything less then say a revolver with heavy bullets at moderate velocities, i would aim for the head. A .380 might go deep enough in muscle with a proper placed shot to get some attention, but to be safe a headshot is closest to 1 shot stop with any caliber. Also there was a shooting a year or 2 ago, with a guy who had a mak-90 and a big drum mag and body armor. I believe this is the case where a man confronted him, shot him in the armor with acouple of .45s from a custom 1911 "commander" and went for cover and a tactical reload, or something of the like. Man came around cornor of car or cover, and shot him down on the spot. This is a scenario where armor piercing "tokarov" or cz-52 or even a fn five-seven would have helped, who knows every situation is different, and a headshot isnt always able to be counted on either. By the way this shooting first engaged at 15 yard, or so ive heard. Sure you can blast paper targets all day and make headshots at 15 yards, but try that when somebody is shooting at others, moving or shooting at you.
Old December 6, 2006, 04:21 PM   #29
SixForSure

Quote:
Please, as long as there is no real body armor on a person several rounds center mass of any service caliber (9mm or better) should do the job.
Far, far more often than not it should be sufficient.

Quote:
maybe if you shoot him in the medulla oblongata he would no longer be angry.
That has been shown to have a calming effect.