The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 21, 2015, 12:11 PM   #51
Longshot4

I have hunted for the last 5x years. Reloading keeps me going. Squirrels have recently renewed my skills out to a good distance. Head shots of Corse. Taking the grand kids out is also great. And there is nothing like a limit of Walleye out of 60' deep five mile an hour current. But Reloading and punching bug holes in a target is probably my most favorite challenge.
Old January 21, 2015, 08:40 PM   #52
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For me--now a certified Olde Phart--it's not tiring of hunting so much as a far more relaxed attitude. Same as the other Olde Pharts I watched during my own eager-hunter years.

A change in relative importance, I guess. Less about the chase and the shot, though they're still there, and more about the companionship around a campfire and some focus on passing along one's knowledge to a younger generation.

I can't do those ten to fifteen miles in a day's walking hunting, anymore, but I can darned sure hunt the campfire!
Old January 22, 2015, 10:34 AM   #53
603Country

That's well said, and I'm also taking (usually) a relaxed attitude toward hunting. Also, I'm lucky enough to live where I hunt, so no big production is required for me to go hunting. I grab a rifle and walk to the back whenever I want to. It's coyote season now, and that season never closes, so the 223 remains on call.
Old January 22, 2015, 11:36 AM   #54
Saltydog235

I too live in a place where I can enjoy the outdoors merely by traveling basically to my back yard. I still get that anticipation before every season. Once hunting season is over, I get ready for fishing. With two young sons who are just beginning to learn and do it, I get more excited about their experiences than I do my own. My oldest boy is going to be 7 staring the fishing season, I cannot wait for him to have his first go at a full offshore trip. And next deer season, I'm going to have him ready to squeeze a trigger. We've been looking at youth rifles a good bit lately.
Old January 22, 2015, 03:37 PM   #55
wild willy

I like to hunt and I like to fish if I'am hunting somewhere and I need a little break I go fishing.
Old January 22, 2015, 05:24 PM   #56
thallub

i go trap hogs like this one:

And these:

Old January 23, 2015, 05:11 PM   #57
georgianative

Just take a break. Wait till you get the itch.
Mentoring a kid would be good too.
Old January 23, 2015, 06:16 PM   #58
psalm7

5 years . Waite till you start mesuring time in decades . If I were to tire of hunting I would start doing some sierous soul searching to see whats wrong with me . Sometimes I do just decide to stay home but ofcorse I work 60 hours a week and pick what I do in my spare time closely .
Thats a ugly hog in that trap .
Old January 24, 2015, 08:47 PM   #59
nickE10mm

EH?

I, personally, NEVER tire of the "hunt" ... but have occasionally tired of a location or region. I like to keep my options open. But the hunt itself is what drives me to attend work every day to earn vacation time. lol
Old January 25, 2015, 09:33 AM   #60
Picher

I used to love shooting competitions, from turkey shoots, starting around 21 yrs old (1 shot per target @ 100 yards) to various handgun and rifle competitions, terminating with .22 Rimfire Benchrest. Haven't competed for a couple of years now and don't miss it.

I love to hunt, but being almost 71, find that it's more enjoyable to teach my grandkids and others to shoot well and hunt. I've helped 5 grandkids learn to shoot better just last fall and two went on to get deer on Youth Day. A third entered Army training and did very well there. Another of the 5 joined the high school shooting team and is doing well, despite physical challenges. Also I got three adults into shooting the past year.

Teaching others to shoot is quite rewarding, and I like to do gunsmithing work as well, but don't do it as a business, just for the fun of making guns better.

We've had a home in the country for 10 years now and I love walking out back, either to shoot or hunt, especially hunting coyotes, but don't do it at night.

My advice is to get a new gun, do some shooting, handloading, and hunting with it. Find new friends to go hunting/shooting with, and take in some gun shows, etc.