The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 3, 2016, 02:34 PM   #1
RadekSkylark

Safety glasses - Wiley X Sabed Advanced Vs. ESS

Hallo guys.

Wanted to ask for advice. I'm looking for safety glasses which are mil-spec rated. I have few options, that's why I would like to hear your advice.

Options:

1) There is a possibility that a local shop here in Latvia has Wiley X Saber Advanced kit for sale. Kit includes one frame, three lenses (smoke gray, clear and light rust), storage bag, tactical strap, nose piece, foam brow bar and costs 62$.

2) There is one online shop which has ESS glasses for sale. Prices go like this:
a) ESS Ice one (smoke gray or clear) with microfiber pouch - 52$;
b) ESS Crosshair one (smoke gray or clear) with microfiber pouch - 55$;
c) ESS Crossbow one (smoke gray or clear) with microfiber pouch - 65$;
d) ESS Crossbow Suppressor one (only hi-def copper lens) with microfiber pouch and elastic strap - 65$.
All the kits available at this webpage don't have a good price. The only possible good option is Crossbow Suppressor 2X Kit which contains one Suppressor and one Crossbow frame, one clear and one smoke gray lens (two lenses all together), case, microfiber pouch, retention strap - this kit costs 120$.

If money wouldn't be a big deal I would want to go for the Suppressor kit for 120$, as I feel that Crossbow Suppressor frame is the way to go, and I would like to get at least those two lenses (smoke gray and clear). The thing is that I will mostly shoot at indoor ranges which have low light conditions, so I think that I will mostly use clear lens, although if I start to participate in practical shooting competition later down the road I could need those smoke gray lenses as well. Also as I understand from all the above Crossbow series lenses are the best as they're anti-fog and anti-scratch, instead of only anti-scratch (all the others, that is, Saber Advanced, Ice and Crosshair). I'm not sure do I really need that anti-fog function... I know it would be cool though.

So far I think that I'll go with the WileyX Saber Advanced as that kit seems to be the best price/performance (value) at this point. It'll offer me lens options and the protection I need, which is the most important feature, and the price for all that is pretty much as low as the one for either ESS Ice or ESS Crosshair One (only one lens).

What do you guys think - what advice can you give me?

Thanks
Old July 4, 2016, 12:39 PM   #2
Clark

I order a handful of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00THEW2OW

And I order a handful of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005STFKGM

I use safety glasses for:
1) Bike riding 45 minutes a day averaging 16 mph
2) Shooting at targets
3) Operating a lathe or mill when I am about to break something
4) Operating a chain saw over my head

I do not wear eye protection while hunting, but my handloads have been checked on target while wearing eye protection.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?