The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 21, 2016, 09:48 AM   #1
chevyhelm

hearing protection

looking in purchasing low profile, electronic hearing protection. would like input what everyone uses! peltor, howard leight, etc any suggestion? ones to stay away from?
Old March 21, 2016, 10:14 AM   #2
FITASC

I have both Peltor and Howard Leight - I like the bigger Peltors better - better noise reduction and I shootn shotgun with them. For metallic I wear plugs AND muffs. Walker's Game Ears are another good brand, but not as slim as the HLs.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 21, 2016, 10:26 AM   #3
g.willikers

Mine don't protect all that well if/when the electronics go down, like with a dead battery or damp connections.
Doesn't seem as good as regular ole' muffs.
Additional ear plugs might be a good idea.
Old March 21, 2016, 10:26 AM   #4
AzShooter

I use Howard Leight and am very happy with them. I bought a second pair for whomever comes to the range with me. Good price and easy to hear people talking, especially the range master's commands.

Cuts out the noise from the gun even when someone next to me is shooting a LOUD rifle.
Old June 12, 2016, 10:54 PM   #5
James57

hearing protection

I don't use headphones and earbuds as my ear protection aids for shooting. I use Sonic valve earplug rather than earmuff. I bought it for $255 and they provide comfort that guarantee maximum hearing protection.
Old June 13, 2016, 03:00 PM   #6
zukiphile

I am a late adopter of electronic muffs just because I don't like having to keep track of batteries.

I use a pair of inexpensive Caldwell muffs along with ear plugs and turn the volume all the way up. Keeps the worst of the noise out and still allows reasonable communication.
Old June 16, 2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Rob228

I just recently switched to electronic plugs, the Etymotic EB15's.

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hea...on/eb15le.html

A bit pricey but I got a good deal on them. They run on hearing aid batteries and can also amplify sound (up to the cutoff limit). Proper sizing is everything when it comes to ear pro, and they come with every size and type of plug imaginable, and you get blistering audio feedback if they are improperly sized so you'll figure out the right size pretty quickly.
Old June 17, 2016, 12:33 PM   #8
Jim Bellino

www.pro-ears.com
Old June 17, 2016, 12:52 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
I don't use headphones and earbuds as my ear protection aids for shooting. I use Sonic valve earplug rather than earmuff. I bought it for $255 and they provide comfort that guarantee maximum hearing protection.
If you aren't protecting the area AROUND your ear, then you are not getting the maximum protection needed. Sound is transmitted through the bones around the ear to the middle ear and can cause hearing loss.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 18, 2016, 06:54 PM   #10
Gavlan

I use the Howard Leight also, good muffs at a reasonable price plus there comfortable
Old June 21, 2016, 01:04 AM   #11
boondocker385

I am not a fan of electronic hearing protection. They have failed due to batteries, bad wiring, etc. . I use foam plugs and conventional muffs