The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 1, 2014, 03:31 PM   #1
H20FOWL

Weatherby Vanguard 270 WSM

I have the option of buying a Weatherby Vanguard 270 (series 1)WSM brand new. Just wondering if it would be worth the money or not. I've always wanted a 270 WSM but they have been to expensive. I can buy it for 350. I want to use it for longer range 600 to 800 yards. I reload my own ammo and will work a load up for it.
Old June 1, 2014, 04:34 PM   #2
jmr40

Good rifle, good round, good price. If you want one I see no reason not to buy it. I like the Vanguard's. They are heavier than I like, but they are very good guns.

I'm also a fan of the WSM's. I like the 300WSM better, but the 270 version works quite well too. The only downside is cost and availability of ammo and since you handload that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Old June 2, 2014, 09:02 AM   #3
AllenJ

I don't know about the series 1 but have a friend who got a series 2 in 270WSM and it is a real shooter. I've been to the range with him a couple times and that rifle has shot sub .5 MOA both times using Federal Premiums with Barnes TSX and his handloads with TSX's. Your deal sounds like a pretty good one and I would find it very hard to pass up.
Old June 2, 2014, 07:35 PM   #4
lunchbox99

I say yes fair price. I have shot 3 different types of ammo. 130 grain core lock (cheap stuff) and 50 dollar boxes of nosler 140 and 150 grain. The cheap Remington ammo shot way better. I'm guessing it likes the smaller grain better but I need to do more testing.
Old June 3, 2014, 08:58 AM   #5
AllenJ

So, did you buy it?
Old June 5, 2014, 11:08 PM   #6
H20FOWL

going in the morning to look at it one more time. Iv read some more stuff and they only worry i have is burring the barrel out. Iv never done it to any of my other guns so I don't think it will happen to this one. The only time i figure it will get shot a lot is in load devlopment and the occasional practice.
Old June 5, 2014, 11:28 PM   #7
Unlicensed Dremel

Depends on the round count. But probably worth it.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:35 AM   #8
AllenJ

That is a concern but the typical hunter won't see the end of barrel life for many, many years. As a reloader you'll of course shoot more so it is something to consider though. I went through the same decision a couple years ago over a 7WSM but decided that the cost of a new barrel is not that bad. Anyway, when I do finally burn out my current barrel think of all the fun I'll have doing load development all over again
Old June 6, 2014, 03:34 PM   #9
dgludwig

The Vanguard comes with the proven Howa action. A mite heavy but very reliable and well-made. $350.00 is a fair price for a brand new Weatherby rifle.
Old June 6, 2014, 04:24 PM   #10
jmr40

You'll spend $5,000-$10,000 in ammo to burn out a barrel. If you can afford to wear out a barrel, you can afford a new barrel.
Old June 6, 2014, 04:35 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Weatherby Vanguard 270 WSM

I'd guess closer to $1000-$2000 (reloads) on a .270WSM but still... same idea.
Old June 10, 2014, 11:05 PM   #12
H20FOWL

well I bought the the gun and just picked up a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x44 for 279.00 at the local sportsman's warehouse. It was reduced from 449.00 new as well. Im going to pair the gun with a new Boyd's gun stock so total cost all be in it around 700.00 so far.

Is the Vortex viper a good scope they had the HS series for 125 more but i did not notice a difference. The only thing I noticed was you could get it in a 50MM. here is the scope i got http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...ld-bdc-reticle

That being said it had the same internals as all there Viper series do. It will go to a max elevation of 65 MOA so I'm hoping it will be good to try to make shots up to 1000 Yds. I also can have custom turrets maid for it as well.(not to sure on the steps on that yet still learning). It is a covered turret but i don't see a problem with undoing them and leave the caps off with the VIP warranty they have.

This is a low budget long range gun. I will be shooting the Barnes LRX 129 Gr, unless i can't get it to shoot under an inch. the target from Wetherby shows a three shot group under 3/4 of an inch almost a half an inch.

The only thing i have left i want to do is a muzzle break and to bed the rifle to the stock.
Old June 10, 2014, 11:07 PM   #13
H20FOWL

another question how do you tell if the barrel of a rifle is getting burnt out, I was given my grandfathers guns and they are 50+ years old and have a lot of rounds through them.
Old June 11, 2014, 12:17 AM   #14
big al hunter

The Viper is a good scope, I have 2 and love both of them. The custom turrets are something you order after you find which load you are going to use. The turrets only work with 1 load. There was a video on the Vortex website explaining the turrets and how to order them.

Quote:
how do you tell if the barrel of a rifle is getting burnt out
To start, you must shoot the gun for accuracy. If it shoots tight groups all is well. If it does not shoot tight groups you have a few options. Try different ammo, some guns just don't like some ammo. After a few kinds of ammo don't fix it, clean the bore with copper fouling remover ( ammonia based works well). If that doesn't clear it up, and the sights are not bad, could be shot out....could be it was never a great shooter and needs to be accurized. What make and model did you get from your grandpa?
Old June 11, 2014, 12:19 AM   #15
H20FOWL

there are multiple caliber's, makes, and model's. Looks like I'm going to have to reload more and have fun shooting.
Old June 11, 2014, 08:43 AM   #16
AllenJ

Congrats on the new rifle, and nice scope, look forward to hearing how it shoots.

As for your other rifles you could take them to a gunsmith and have him check them out with a bore scope. What calibers are they?
Old June 11, 2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Having 3/4s inch groups. Pretty tight. Would you gain that much more accuracy doing bedding job? (about how much better would you expect to see) Did Sportsman Warehouse throw in your first box of shells free?_
Old June 11, 2014, 06:37 PM   #18
Cowboy_mo

Congrats on the Vanguard. I have an S1 in .270 win. and love it.

IMO, you will not be happy with the trigger esp. at the ranges you plan to shoot. I could never get the stock trigger adjusted to my fancy. It always felt creepy and that was after Weatherby replaced the first one I complained about.

GREAT NEWS!!!!! Timney makes a drop in trigger for that Vanguard and for around $100 you will suddenly be in love with the gun.

P.S. if you try to adjust the factory trigger, ONLY change the pull weight screw as stated in the Vanguard manual. Any further adjustments will result in the safety no longer working........ Stop laughing ..... you know how I know
Old June 11, 2014, 06:45 PM   #19
dgludwig

Quote:
IMO, you will not be happy with the trigger esp. at the ranges you plan to shoot.
Interesting to me because, in spite of the people who have complained about the Vanguard trigger in the past, I couldn't ask for a better trigger for hunting than that in my two year old Vanguard iteration, chambered in .257 Weatherby Magnum.