The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 10, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1
SIMP

Glock "Born On" Date

All,
I'm thinking about a possible trade for a Glock 26. I'm curious of the manufacture date as there is no spent casing in the box. It's a Gen 4 G26 with a MKD6XX. Can someone please help me out here? I could call Glock on Monday but the guy wants to meet this weekend.

He's sent several photos of the gun and it looks in mint condition. Would anyone here have any reservations trading for a mint gun even though it may be a few years old? (If that's the case)

I appreciate the help.
Old August 10, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2
SIMP

The internet and google are my friends.

http://www.stakhaus.com/

So, knowing the pistol is roughly 5-years old but in mint condition.....would you have any issues with a trade for it?
Old August 10, 2013, 09:32 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

No.
Everyone; and by everyone I mean me, myself, I; is waiting how Glock polymers hold up after 50 years of sunlight. Five years isn't going to cause any concern whatsoever for me. I would buy a 15 or twenty year old one without worrying about it. The originals are about 30 years old and that might make me pause.

I don't see any other issues strictly with age.
"mint" varies a lot from person to person. I have had several guns offered to me that had seen thousands of rounds but were described as mint as they had been well maintained and had no external wear. Be aware in such a case you still need to replace springs and things(although it isn't an immediate need).

I recommend you consider the Glock 27 and a drop in conversion barrel to 9mm. For an extra $100 you get two calibers and one barrel that handle non-jacketed bullets(cast) well. The Glock barrels need a jacketed bullet more or less.
Old August 11, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4
SIMP

I've seen the HD photos and there ain't a scratch on it. But that's not to say the insides are in the same shape. I just need to meet up with him and check it out.

It supposedly had about 10 mags thru it and sat in the safe except for the occasional cleaning. We'll see.
Old August 11, 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Theohazard

The Glock 26 Gen 4 came out less than three years ago.
Old August 11, 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
bledsoeG19

I would buy any glock at any age for a good price. The factory will refurbish them free of charge.
Old August 15, 2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Theohazard

So did you end up trading? And did you ever find out exactly how old it is? Like I said before, if it's a Gen 4 26 it can't be any older than 3 years old at the most.
Old August 15, 2013, 01:34 PM   #8
SIMP

You know, I just went ahead and bought a G26 gen 4. For $600 out the door, I got the gun with Glock factory night sights, and 2 of the 3 mags had the Pearce +0 extensions on them. I'm happy with the purchase.
Old August 15, 2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Theohazard

Congrats on your new 26! That's not a bad price at all for a Gen 4 with night sights.