The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 9, 2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Clevinger

Noob Questions on Benelli M2

So, as mentioned, I bought a Benelli M2, which is my first shotgun. Questions:

1. When the gun is unloaded and completely empty, the bolt locks back. Is there a way to close it besides using the carrier release button? Is pushing the carrier release button and letting the bolt slam home on an empty chamber hard on the gun?

2. I'm practicing with A-Zoom 12 gauge snap caps for loading/unloading. I can only fit two of them in the magazine at present. Is this, like a pistol magazine, just due to a stiff spring and which will gradually loosen and allow more rounds? The magazine on these holds four rounds, right?

3. Just in general, are there any newbie mistakes that you see people make which are hard on a shotgun (so I can avoid them)?

Old May 9, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2
BigJimP

The only way to release the bolt - is to use the release button...but I wouldn't let it slam into battery onto an empty chamber ( just use 2 hands - hang onto the bolt thumb latch - then drop the bolt by hitting the button ...) and softly lower it. I also don't know that you're hurting it much either / by dropping it on an empty chamber.

Check the owners manual / you have a "plug" in the magazine / so you can only load 2 shells in it ( when you're hunting / you can never have more than 2 shells in the mag ). I think it will hold up to 4 of the 2 3/4" shells or 3 of the 3" shells -with the plug removed.

Keep it clean and well lubed ( learn how to easily strip it down ...take the barrel off - remove the trigger group and bolt, etc from receiver ...) ...and you'll be fine.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3
SauerJackson

Unless you plan on using it as a pry bar, good luck hurting that thing! So where we gonna go give her a workout, southwest??
Old May 9, 2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Clevinger

"The only way to release the bolt - is to use the release button...but I wouldn't let it slam into battery onto an empty chamber ( just use 2 hands - hang onto the bolt thumb latch - then drop the bolt by hitting the button ...) and softly lower it."

The issue here is that the metal carrier (sorry if this is the wrong terminology) wants to jump into the way of the bolt and prevent it from completely closing when you slowly lower the bolt with two hands as you describe. Is it supposed to be doing that?
Old May 9, 2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Clevinger

"So where we gonna go give her a workout, southwest?"

I wish...I live in Minnesota. It just got nice here finally like a week ago.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:59 PM   #6
BigJimP

I'm not sure what you mean by carrier ..
Old May 9, 2011, 01:00 PM   #7
SauerJackson

You can let it close "deliberately", without necessarily slamming it. But then again, unless you plan on doing it many times, I wouldn't be that concerned with it.
And I meant southwest MN, murderapolis what! Haha, ok I know, thats lame
Old May 9, 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Clevinger

"I'm not sure what you mean by carrier..."

Carrier latch then? I'm probably not saying the right word for it. I'm referring to the piece of metal that swings back and forth when you load shells into the bottom of the gun.

If you slowly release the bolt with two hands that thing has a tendency to pop up into the way to prevent the bolt from closing. I think it is actually doing what it is supposed to do...closing it slowly maybe is throwing the timing off. It is supposed to elevated a shell into the chamber so the bolt can push it in, right?
Old May 9, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Clevinger

And I meant southwest MN

Oh, so you get it. It was cold and miserable until like a week ago. We got cheated out of a month of spring.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Clevinger

Another question:

Is this gun ready to fire from the gun shop? Or should I break it down, clean it, and oil it?

I've usually cleaned the pistols I've bought before firing them the first time but this gun seems pretty clean already. I'm assuming they have it properly oiled too.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:27 PM   #11
BigJimP

I always break a new gun down - clean and lube it - before I fire it ( handguns and shotguns).

Often, there is a lot of grease or preservative in there from storage and shipping...

On the bolt issue - just let it drop a little more firmly .... I don't think you're really hurting it much by dropping it without holding it ( but I tend to not let my drop hard ). I use a pair of Benelli Super Sports ( in 12ga and 20ga ) ...as training guns - and sometimes one of the grandkids or a new shooter will just let the bolt drop hard ...and it doesn't really bother me. I tend to catch it / when I'm shooting the gun ...but its not a big deal really.
Old May 9, 2011, 02:20 PM   #12
oneounceload

Or, you can buy an AZOOM metal snap cap and be done