The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 12, 2010, 09:03 AM   #1
5282jt

Any BP pistols that shoot shot? Like a 410?

I was wondering if any pistols [ especially double barrel ] are made that are similar to a shotgun? Also, if you know of any, perhaps you could give me an idea what to expect to pay new and used?
Just interested in trying some odd BP guns.
Being new to BP I have my 1858 New Army .44 and Jukar single shot .45
I love both!
Thanks!
Chuck
Old December 12, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2
B.L.E.

Cabelas sells a "howdah" double barrel pistol in 20 gauge. Just because it's a 20 gauge doesn't mean you have to load it with 1/20 pound of shot. A half ounce of shot (normal .410 load) and about 40-50 grains of powder should shoot quite well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...Tz_stype%3DGNP

You can also use .45 caliber Wonder Wads as over powder wads in your .45 caliber Jukar and load it with about 1/2 ounce of shot using another Wonder Wad over the shot. Cheapskates often use wadded up pieces of toilet paper for the wads.

Last edited by B.L.E.; December 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: grammar
Old December 12, 2010, 10:42 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

The LeMatt has a center smooth bore barrel that the cylinder rotates on.
Old December 12, 2010, 06:17 PM   #4
5282jt

B.L.E. I can shoot 1/2 oz of shot through my Jukar .45 ?

Hello, I see you said: "You can also use .45 caliber Wonder Wads as over powder wads in your .45 caliber Jukar and load it with about 1/2 ounce of shot using another Wonder Wad over the shot."
That sounds interesting!
It won't harm the inside of the barrel or me :-) ??

I have treated wads for my .44 1858 New Army revolver. When I first got the Jukar, I used the 454 balls that came with my revolver in my .45 Jukar, with the wads and it worked-but seemed to shoot off a bit in groupings. Now I have the 440 balls and i'm looking for a suitable patch material-the pillow ticking at Walmart's fabric section is too thick.

Anyway, can I use 1/2 oz lead shot with these .44 wads under and over the shot?
Would the shot be regular shotgun shot-or something specific to black powder?
Thanks!
Chuck
Old December 12, 2010, 08:37 PM   #5
B.L.E.

Regular chilled lead shot or even magnum shot containing antimony to harden it should not ruin your barrel. No steel shot.
Track of the Wolf sells cardboard wads that are a lot less expensive than Wonder Wads.

A rifled barrel isn't going to shoot the best patterns in the world but it should be adequate as a snake gun.
Old December 13, 2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Smokin_Gun

Any Smoothbore Pistol, musket, or Shotgun should do that easily for you. There are side by side pistols from .32 cal on up but they would not be very long range shooters.
The cardboard wads for shot I make with egg carton cardboard and a punch on my cylinder loader for C&B revs...ahd have a hand punch for 10ga shotguns. You can buy punch sets at Harbor Freight or Brownells.
That Jukar probly does pretty well with shot ifin it's a smoothbore.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old December 13, 2010, 05:49 AM   #7
darkgael

Smoothbore

Another source for a howdah type pistol is Middlesex Village Trading Company. They sell a .62 cal. (20 ga.) SXS caplock.
Old December 19, 2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Joey V.

I have the pedersoli .58 howdah

It shoots anything from conicals balls and shooot. It loves conicals with a ber heavy charge of 70g fffg. It is rated to 80g of ffg but I can't see the 12 barrels burning that much. It is very accurate and I killed a doe at 50 paces with it using a buffalo ballet. I have to patch the ballets to get a tight fit and used plumbers Teflon tape to do it! Worked beutiful 2 inch groups at 50yds. With buck shot it will blow a pumpkin to smitheriens lol. I even tried the old tome buck and ball load for it. Basically putting both buck and then seating a patched ball on it. I did have to put a better front sight on it for accuracy. I used a Lyman front sight the I grinded the dovetail off and drilled a screw hole in it. The current bead on the howdah is a screw in type so not dovetail. The rear sight is adjustable for windage in a real cool way too. Just don't waste the money on the detachable but stock it sucks!!

It is also my understanding (don't just take my word for it that) that any muzzleloader can shoot lead shoot. You load the powder and then put a card wad and then load shot and put another card wad. I have done this before the howdah for small game. The squirels never new what hit em!

Good hunting!
Old December 19, 2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Joey V.

Sorry for the last post word errors!

Dang auto spell check on the I iPhone ((((