The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 26, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1
abs

Softest SA trigger

Today I had a rare opportunity to compare HK P30 with my Beretta PX4 and it seems Beretta trigger is much softer. I shot a few rounds in a hurry and now I'm not sure if that HK was SA/DA... Anyway, what are the opinions on which semi-auto has a softest SA trigger?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 26, 2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Leejack

I'll put the popcorn in the microwave for this thread!

Just a question: when you say softest, does that mean the easiest to pull?
Old September 26, 2010, 05:26 PM   #3
abs

Leejack,
Yes! "smoothest/lightest" pull, you get an idea.
Old September 26, 2010, 05:32 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

That would be my smith model 52.
Like butter and icicles.
Smmoooth 2 lb. crisp break.
Old September 26, 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
rsxr22

Get your hands on a 1911 that either has a worked over trigger or decent from the factory and you will never mention trigger pull on a PX4 or P30 again, especially being soft. I havent had much experience with the Beretta trigger, but the HK's are awful the whole way around, no matter of the variant. The DA/SA models have heavy DA, manageable but not smooth or light SA, and long reset's. The LEM's are more like 2 stage triggers and even the Light LEM model at 4.5 lbs is still not smooth because of the take up
Old September 26, 2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Leejack

OK then.

A friend has an old BHP that was absolutely rediculous. All you had to do was look at the trigger and it fired.

I know I'll be in the minority as usual, but I didn't care for it at all. I don't know whether or not he monkied with it, but it was too light for my taste.

Most people on the internet equate "light trigger=great trigger". For me, that's only partially true.
Old September 26, 2010, 05:48 PM   #7
varoadking

Quote:
The LEM's are more like 2 stage triggers and even the Light LEM model at 4.5 lbs is still not smooth because of the take up
There is no "staging" and virtually no take-up or reset in SA on the Combat Competition LEM trigger you refer to. I have this set-up on an HK45 and Elite. They are spectacular platforms.
Old September 26, 2010, 08:33 PM   #8
raimius

Most single action only pistols are good, and a nice 1911 is hard to beat!

My vote goes to the 1911. Factory 4.5-5lbs generally. I've also shot tuned 1911s from 2-4lbs. I did manage to "tweak" a spring in the 2lb one, and that caused some issues...don't do that! As long as you don't accidentally monkey with them, they are great.

That said, I've shot a Sig 226 with a VERY nice SA trigger as well.