The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1
oldreloader

Bench question for those with a MDF top

Does the MDF chip,flake,or round the edges off of the front edge?
Old August 26, 2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Jeff H

MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is much like regular cabinet grade particle board but a little softer. If you beat the edges, they will crumble eventually, but for most people, MDF will do about as nicely as Particle board or plywood.

1/2 " MDF backed by 2x lumber would make a fine bench.

My main workbench is an old Solid core door that is strong as heck made up of oak and oak veneers. The edges can still take a beating depending on what you are doing.

I have no direct exp with using it on a reloading bench. Just speaking from years as a carpenter/cabinet maker.
Old August 26, 2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Inspector3711

This is why when I got my free kitchen cabinets for the garage/reloading room I promptly removed the countertops. I bolted down 6 2X4's and screwed on a 1" thick piece of birch plywood on top. Then I trimmed the edge in maple baseboard molding. I left one area open in the middle. I installed a 1/2" aluminum plate on top and another underneath (in the dishwasher area) right there. That's where I mounted the bench vise, a single stage press, and my progressive. But then I usually overbuild. You could park a car on my deck If you're going to use MDF just trim the edge with some hardwood molding.