The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 13, 2009, 01:02 PM   #1
philster

Best Stock for Home Defense Shotgun

I'm buying some parts to convert my Mossy 500 to a home defense weapon. Just bought the 18.5" barrel, and am now considering a replacement stock. I ordered the ATI vertical fold, then canceled. I'm thinking about the Choate MK6 thumbhole/pistol stock, but can't tell if it causes probs accessing the gun safety. Can anyone advise?

Last edited by philster; April 14, 2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Renamed to get broader and greater response
Old April 13, 2009, 07:17 PM   #2
colostomyclown

Get a Hogue overmolded stock. Keep it full. 18.5 with full stock is as short as you really need.
Old April 13, 2009, 08:45 PM   #3
philster

Isn't the Choate Mark 6 a full-length stock, just open/thumbhole style with a pistol grip? It doesn't flip or fold, and still has the rubber butt pad. My concern was that maybe it would be too far to stretch my thumb with my trigger finger in the guard to reach the safety with the slightly lower grip on the pistol section.

Also - is there any way to loosen up the slide action on the safety? It's very stiff.
Old April 13, 2009, 08:54 PM   #4
philster

Other than appearance or weather resistance, why get the Hogue versus keeping the standard stock if I'm not otherwise going to change the ergonomics of grip? I don't care about appearance, the original stock is already marred, and I hadn't planned on replacing the front grip anyway. This is primarily a home defense weapon. I had read that the pistol grip gives you a little faster/better aiming accuracy (like the thumbhole for turkey hunters), and also helps reduce recoil a little.

Another question - where's the best place to get a takedown/disassembly guide (needed to replace the front grip)? And as long as I'm asking, is the only diff between a 500 and 500A the choke system?