The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 30, 2008, 09:09 AM   #1
ptbrophy

model 1890

I have a model 1890 22 pump sr#54192.The barrel is not the correct barrel,as the barrel should be octagon and this one is not.The barrel that is on the guns is a 62A barrel.
I have seen a few octagon barrels that would fit this gun and have considered exchanging the barrel.My question is if it would be worth the money to do so.
I am not sure what the gun is worth now,so I would have no clue if putting the correct barrel on would improve it enough to pay for the octagon barrel and the smith work to do it.
It's a great little rifle,and I enjoy shooting it.
I do not know if the octagon barrels were numbered.The last one I saw,I could not fine any number.
Can anyone give an opinion......
Old October 19, 2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Jampard

Your 1890

Hi ptbrophy:
I've got a Winchester 1890 with the octagon barrel in .22WRF, and I've also have a hybrid Winchester 1890/1906 rifle. The hybrid has a 1906 round barrel & receiver, and a 1890 guard assembly & butt stock. The serial numbers on the guard assy & the receiver do not match. This one uses .22LR only. The 1890 models came in .22 Short only, .22 Long only, .22WRF only or .22LR only (later).
Do the serial numbers match on your 1890?
Which .22 will cycle through yours from the magazine to ejection?

Jim
Old October 19, 2008, 08:43 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

While a few Model 1890s go for fantastic prices, and even the common second model can go for big bucks if like new, the average good one will bring only about $600. The problem is that (no disrespect) your gun is probably not in like new condition. And you probably won't be able to find an octagon barrel in top condition (most used barrels are shot out*). So, spending the money to buy an octagon barrel and install it probably wouldn't be cost effective, even if the job could be done without otherwise changing the gun.

I would leave the gun as is and enjoy it.

*Those guns were made in the days of corrosive primers and LesSmok powders and barrels corroded and eroded very fast, which is probably why a previous owner had the new barrel installed.

Jim
Old March 5, 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
srt 10 jimbo

I have a 1890 with the octogon barrel in 22l, was made in 1902. had it appraised at 840 dollors a year ago.