The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2007, 11:12 AM   #1
DeltaWhiskey

Winchester 9mm FMJ--Pullin' my hair out..

I bought two cases of Winchester 9mm FMJ hollow base bullets. I've noticed that the vast majority of the ones I've used are undersized, miking out at .354. It's not a big deal while using Winchester cases, but the second I use something else, the bullet doesn't get crimped and will sometimes actually plummet to the bottom of the case. I can't send these back, gotta use them up. Should I try to use a heavier crimp with these other cases, or am I stuck using Winchester brass until these bullets are shot up?
Old April 29, 2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Paul B.

You could try resizing the non-Winchester brass without the expander plug. This would mean that you'd need a universal decapping die to remove the spent primers. Belling the opening of the case neck might be a problem too. You might have to do that manually with a spitzer bullet large enough, and tap it with a hammer to slightly bell the neck. Sounds like a real PITA, but sometimes we have to improvise, adapt and overcome.
Actually, an easier idea comes to mind.Contact the maker of your dies and order a new expander plug assembly. Put it in an electric drill and carefully file it down just enought, so that the case necks are not expanded as much. Won't cost much and should fix the problem.
Paul B.
Old April 29, 2007, 11:37 AM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
You could try resizing the non-Winchester brass without the expander plug. This would mean that you'd need a universal decapping die to remove the spent primers. Belling the opening of the case neck might be a problem too. You might have to do that manually with a spitzer bullet large enough, and tap it with a hammer to slightly bell the neck. Sounds like a real PITA, but sometimes we have to improvise, adapt and overcome.
Actually, an easier idea comes to mind.Contact the maker of your dies and order a new expander plug assembly. Put it in an electric drill and carefully file it down just enought, so that the case necks are not expanded as much. Won't cost much and should fix the problem.
Paul B.
HUH? The sizer die of most die sets for handgun has only a decapper stem in it. The expander is part of die#2.

It would be possible to back off the expander far enough to just enter the shell, to expand the top 1/16th of the brass. That should give you enough bullet pull to hold the bullet. Also, a heavy chamfer would help guide the bullet while seating. You may even have to hold the bullet on top of the case while it enters the seating die.

I'd be worried about what kind of accuracy you'd get from those undersize bullets.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 30, 2007, 09:46 AM   #4
HSMITH

I use the EGW undersize die, it will hold a .354" bullet in just about any cases. The hollow base bullet shoots well since it obturates to fill the bore.

I also cut the expander plug for my 9mm set in the Dillon down to .353", I don't want it to do anything but flare the case.

You could always sell the bullets and buy something else.