The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2000, 09:42 AM   #1
able2ski

We just tried or first reloads for .41 mag pistol on a Dillon 550 w/ Dillon dies.

The resizing die was tough as hell to cycle (compared to .45 & 9mm). All the .41 mag brass was once-fired factory, reasonably well polished. Do factory .41 mag cases swell so much they require brute force to resize, or should we consider the die set may be slightly imperfect? I bought the high-dollar carbide dies so I wouldn't have to fool with any messy lubes; I'm determined not to cave in and use lube.

According to our calipers, the sized cases were .001-2 under the spec shown in a Lyman #47 handbook.

I do plan to call Dillon & quiz them, but I wanted to ask here as well.

Andrew

PS: I only hope that someday I can contribute 1/2 as much knowledge as I 've aquired on these forums!
Old February 3, 2000, 01:47 PM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

The larger Magnum cases are a bit harder to cycle in the resizing die, but not to the point of damaging the equipment. The cases are large and wider in diameter, creating lots of friction and a longer stroke. I use Lee carbide dies, so can't help much as to the quality of Dillon die.
I have two 41 Magnum cases in front of me, one factory new and the other fired and resized 5 times. The factory new case is .429" at the belly, the used case is .4295". The wall thickness is the same in both cases, .010".
Hope this helps a bit, feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Robert
Old February 4, 2000, 08:19 PM   #3
Nukem

Nickel plated or plain brass? I've found the brass cases to be a little easier to resize.
Old February 5, 2000, 11:57 AM   #4
Sisco

I've found my cases easier to resize if sized before tumbling.
Old February 6, 2000, 04:54 AM   #5
THE .41 MAN

Able, I've never encountered your problem in either nickel or brass cases. I use Dillon carbide dies in a RL550 and don't ever recall having a difficult time. I usually de-prime with a universal die. Then, I clean them in a Lyman 1200 tumbler. From this point on, I just size, prime, add powder, seat bullet, and crimp. Call Dillon and inquire as to what they think is happening. It's possible your die is slightly undersize. Dillon's customer service is nothing if not first rate. Perhaps the .41Magnum is making a comeback? I certainly hope so:^) All you .41Magnum shooters e-mail Winchester about a partition gold in .410 of about 250grs.!!!! RKBA!

------------------
THE .41 MAN
HAVE MORE FUN WITH A .41
Old February 8, 2000, 12:58 AM   #6
Reddog

10-4 on the 41 making a comeback! Reddog
Old February 8, 2000, 09:22 PM   #7
mcshot

I agree on the .41 mag. comeback. In fact I'm helping the cause with a new Desert Eagle in that caliber.
Never had any problems resizing them with carbide dies. Must have been fired in really oversized cylinder chambers.

------------------